Chapala.com Webboard

taking mexican plated car to US

lakeside101

assuming I get coverage, and have a valid Jalisco driver's license..... how long could the car stay in Texas??

I thinking of sun birding and spending up to 6 months

Under US law, a Mexican plated vehicle may remain in the United States for up to a year. Among other places, just before most border crossings there are businesses that will sell you basic liability insurance for up to a year.

I believe this requirment to be for people who are moving to Texas, not just visiting. Texas has a lot of snowbirds and they aren't required to purchase Texas plates.

Actually, legally, they are but in point of fact most would never be hassled.

i went to get my drivers license renewed in austin last week. i asked the trooper on duty about driving in texas with a current mexican drivers license. he informed me that the mexican license is valid up to 150 miles from the border UNLESS it is accompanied by an INTERNATIONAL drivers license whick you can get at any AAA office.

i asked because a friend got a ticket north of fort worth because of his mexican drivers license.

i went to get my drivers license renewed in austin last week. i asked the trooper on duty about driving in texas with a current mexican drivers license. he informed me that the mexican license is valid up to 150 miles from the border UNLESS it is accompanied by an INTERNATIONAL drivers license whick you can get at any AAA office.

i asked because a friend got a ticket north of fort worth because of his mexican drivers license.

I'm not sure that is correct. Most states have reciprocal agreements with other countries, international drivers license or not.

You can rent a car almost anywhere in the US with a Mexican drivers license. Insurance is another problem. You can get an international drivers license on line but it is not a license.

I think the crux is where you live. If you live in GA, you have to get a GA drivers license within 30 days of moving. If you live in MX, a MX drivers license is legal in GA.

I couldn't find out if there is a time limit or not. It says "30 days of residence". If I go visit my daughter for 6 months and have a home in MX, I'm a MX resident the way I see it.

As long as the tags are current and the license is current, I think you are OK no matter what the trooper says. However, as in MX, the cop is always right.

I'd just smile and forget the ticket. Think they will come to MX to collect it?

We once drove our Jalisco plated car on an extended trip to the USA, as far as North Carolina. We talked to a lot of cops, who had never seen a smart car yet. There was never an issue. Reciprocity is recognized everywhere and I think the friend who got a ticket was taken for a ride by an ill informed cop. Obviously, we drove through northern Texas more than once.

US law is 365 days for a foreign plated vehicle. Most Mexcan insurance policies have USA liability insurance included (or available for an extra charge) for Mexican plated vehicles.

I have personally driven 4 vehicles across at Laredo for family members who are in Texas. Only once was I asked who owned the vehicle to which I replied a friend, and was not asked for papers.

These vehicles are all being driven daily in Texas with zero problems. All of the Jalisco plates are current.

Each has recrossed the border and re-entered with a different driver before 1 year is up thus meeting the requirements of US law.

I really don't know how the USA keeps track other than the picture taken at time of crossing. I technically had 3 foreign vehicles at one time in the USA and never heard anything.

I have personally driven 4 vehicles across at Laredo for family members who are in Texas. Only once was I asked who owned the vehicle to which I replied a friend, and was not asked for papers.

I have driven across the border more times than I can count. They often ask if I am the owner of the car and how long have I owned it. It is because if they send me to secondary and find something in my car I am responsable for it.

The ICE agents at the border are not interested in car registration, car insurance or valid drivers licenses as far as I see it. They are concentrating of Immigration and Customs issues not state requirements of vehicle ownership or regulations. IMO. That is for the police to do after you enter the US.

Archived