Chapala.com Webboard

Stand Up Paddle board fans..... anybody new this year?

valbogyo

Someone asked, earlier this year, if SUP boards were popular at Lake Chapala. Several people mentioned they do see people out there. No one who actually paddles answered.

I thought it was time to ask again, as some people are just packing up to come down for the winter. I am thinking of bringing one back with me, on my return lakeside. I have been learning how to use a SUP board in Hawaii. It is great exercise yet, really relaxing. Also, very popular at the beach and something you could transport for a week at the coast.

I just wanted to see if there were any people interested in doing this. More fun if there are others for support and developing skills.

PM me if interested

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I am very interested in relocating to MX and will be exploring the Lake Chapala area soon. I LOVE to SUPand that is a big reason I'm interested in this area-----the big, beautiful lake :) I was hoping there was a place to rent boards down there but didn't find anything when I Googled :/ Anyway, I would love to hear how you like SUP'ing down there

Scrappy, I don't mean to sound negative, I'm just gonna out out there what I experienced. I too, was so excited to come here most,y because of the lake and all the fun things one can do in said lake. It was not until after I moved here that I discovered the lake is filthy for various reasons (and likely people will start screaming and arguing over this issue). Very few people swim or do sup. or jet ski, or do any water related activities. At most, I'll see a kayaker or two a week. Those guys have a good chance of not falling into the water. I wouldn't want that water touching my skin.

Scrappy, I don't mean to sound negative, I'm just gonna out out there what I experienced. I too, was so excited to come here most,y because of the lake and all the fun things one can do in said lake. It was not until after I moved here that I discovered the lake is filthy for various reasons (and likely people will start screaming and arguing over this issue). Very few people swim or do sup. or jet ski, or do any water related activities. At most, I'll see a kayaker or two a week. Those guys have a good chance of not falling into the water. I wouldn't want that water touching my skin.

Not sure which lake you're talking about but it's not the one that I kayak in twice a week and have for the last 3 years. Neither myself nor the other members of our club and the many guests we have had have ever gotten sick from being in the lake. And yes we do get wet, we train to fall out of our kayaks and get back in. Don't know where you come up with calling the lake filthy but it's not from the many studies that have been done on the lake to show that it is indeed safe to be in.

I asked several years ago about sculls or the ability to rent them lakeside. I know nothing about the sport but have often thought that it would be great exercise and that Lake Chapala seems to offer the perfect body of water for sculling. At the time of my query several people responded and thought that it sounded like something they would like to try however there did not seem to be a place then to rent sculls. Does anyone know if that has changed?

A silty bottom makes the water very murky with wave action near shore. Dr. Stong, a water expert, says much of the lake in deeper water is drinkable; and proves it by drinking it after 30 minutes with just 2 drops/L of chlorine bleach.

The problem with the lake is that it is cold - even in the summer it only gets to 72 to 74. If you are O.K. with that fine. Otherwise you will need a tropical weight wet suit (unless you can gaurantee you will never get dunked). Paddleboarders on the east and west coast are used to ocean temperatures of 80 to 84

I asked several years ago about sculls or the ability to rent them lakeside. I know nothing about the sport but have often thought that it would be great exercise and that Lake Chapala seems to offer the perfect body of water for sculling. At the time of my query several people responded and thought that it sounded like something they would like to try however there did not seem to be a place then to rent sculls. Does anyone know if that has changed?

As far as I know I'm the only one in this part of Mexico that has a rowing shell (scull). I am able to teach someone how to row but with having the only one around it is a little hard as unlike kayaking where someone can learn the basics in one session sculling usually takes at least a couple of months while practicing several times a week. I would love to see more people take up the sport but without more boats it's almost impossible.

Bummer! But I can see how one boat only could be a problem and I understand that they can be very expensive to buy NOB.

If you can find one, there's probably about 1000 used kayaks for sale for every open water rowing shell.

Archived