Chapala.com Webboard

Vehicle importation

Mexiken

I would be weary of anybody asking for your money who does not give you their name nor have a local address and phone number. People are still losing money to car import people.

I caught a local TV news report here recently. A travel agency that was in a very nice office and just opened at Christmas was taking monthly payments for luxury tours to foreign countries. They closed their doors and left with everyones´ money never to be traced as all their documents, names, business signs etc. were forged and not registered with any authorities. The amount was estimated at $15,000,000 pesos. Be very careful when putting money up front on any venture is my advice.

Nationalizing is not for the faint of heart and what a roller coaster. Just when you think you know the process will start another road block. Those wishing to nationalize at the border please note as just appearing on web boards: no importation of autos in TJ, Nogales, Mexicalli, all paper work now has to go to Juarez, there are 1,000 to 5000, cars a day on list to be imported and one office doing so.

This is why all processes are slow including mine which are done with no driving to the border. Every week I get promises of pedimentos coming and every week Aduana is changing the process and more delays. The back log is huge and I believe people are again sitting at the border paying for accommodations and meals and brokers not answering phones and likely overwhelmed.

• 2 weeks later...

Posted on Facebook, On the Road in Mexico Just passing it on.

If you are importing your vehicle because you have permanent residency, DON'T use Grupo Cuevas. We did. It was an unpleasant process and cost a fortune. Then, when we got to Nayarit to get our plates, we found that the fractura for our truck was produced years ago and was for a red Silverado. We have a grey Silverado. Wrong fractura. Beside that, there was no fractura or ownership document with our trailer papers at all! So now, we have to go to a notario to get bonded. And, we found stapled to our papers the fractura from someone else's 4 wheeler. That poor soul is most likely in some hell or limbo without it. Now what?
I don't know whether it's all a mistake, incompetence or fraud. Most likely a bit of all. Are we even in the system after using a "reputable" import company and paying over $2400 CASH!

There are few reputable import companies and most are doing frauds. We have bailed people out of jail and had their cars released from impound due to falsified documents. Many reputable people are getting caught up in the mess and it is a very shady business. A few people do it well but with all the changes much is still up in the air and things can change at any time, nobody is going to tell the reputable people that they will start to get fake documents or that at a later audit they will cancel all previous documents.

People need to get real and not even think of nationalizing cars where the real street value is less than 3 to 4 times the cost to nationalize.

Is it really worth risking jail and having your car impounded and thousands in legal fees to nationalize your 1989 Toyota that is worth $4,000US? Be very careful, use reputable people who give you their name and you know where they are, verify all documents.

Are you aware of Tim Welch and Jayme Littlejohn's vehicle importation service? They are both respected professionals that live here and are more than capable. Their contact info- legalizecars@gmail.com. No worries or concerns when you use their services.

While I am NOT AT ALL doubting the integrity of Tim Welch and Jayme Littlejohn, I wonder about a couple of things: did they nationalize a car for you? Did they take it to the border to do so? Did you/they export it from the US as seemingly has been the law for "10" years?

I just helped someone return another vehicle to Canada.... it is just too expensive and too much trouble to nationalize. (No fee involved, just helping a friend)

We are often warned to be very careful who we engage to assist with nationalization. Here is a bit of a rant from the other side of the transaction.

Some of the reputable people, who have been doing this for years, have had their reputations dragged through the mud because some broker provided a false document along the way. What is really ironic is that some Americans and Canadians who do not have legal title to the vehicles they have been driving have given money to someone to import their vehicle, fully knowing that it can not possibly be imported, without someone providing a phony title along the way...... then, when the vehicle gets stuck on the US side of the border, or the car is impounded in Mexico... they extort money from the person they hired to import the vehicle.

I know two Mexican business people who had to pay their client for vehicles, unsuccessfully imported..... to avoid having their reputations ruined or being accused of stealing the vehicle and taking it to the US.

Take your car back to its home country and sell it, or pay someone to do it for you. And if you do not have the title for your car, do not be an A hole and try and persuade some poor sucker to "take care of it" for you.

Why would any "reputable" facilitator accept a vehicle without proper title get involved in nationalization? Would they be more reputable than the so-called owner?

Could it be, they had a little greed for the fee collected?

Any facilitator that lacks the intelligence of knowing that, probably shouldn't be in business anyway.

A rather weak excuse for accepting the "irreputable" clients money.

I had my car imported and legalized before Jayme and Tim were in this business. I know of AT LEAST 20 people that who have used their services (their clients add up to many more than 20!) and they take the car to the border and follow, to the letter, the Mexican laws regarding the importation of vehicles.

Has anyone used Grupo MCA to nationalize their car?

Has anyone used Grupo MCA to nationalize their car?

we used Grupo MCA last November. We took our vehicle to the border ourselves. Not difficult at all. I know things have changed though with the rules. We spoke to Eric there and have a number of friends who nationalized through them last year also.

• 2 years later...

If the travel trailer was listed along with the car on the original Temporary Import Permit then NO.  You would then need to take both back to the border, cancel the original permit and enter the US and then turn around and have a broker there at the border do the nationalization for you.

...and if you DID sell the TT here anyway, when you take your tow car to the border and try to cancel the car permit (with the trailer 'attached' as it was), they are going to ask 'where is the trailer, senior?'. 

The law was that a RV had its own TVIP and it was good for 10 years, or at least that was the law when I crossed with 5th wheel a while back.  I crossed back and forth with the tow vehicle sin 5th wheel many times since then without problems- (However, I am not current with the law today.)

I *think* that the law about a 10 year permit did apply IF that is what the importer desired....  i.e. they were not just coming in for 'a few months' on vacation or winter and then returning to their homeland. Ultimately it will depend on how the OP imported it back when.

On 11/6/2014 at 9:44 AM, kiminmexico said:

Posted on Facebook, On the Road in Mexico Just passing it on.

If you are importing your vehicle because you have permanent residency, DON'T use Grupo Cuevas. We did. It was an unpleasant process and cost a fortune. Then, when we got to Nayarit to get our plates, we found that the fractura for our truck was produced years ago and was for a red Silverado. We have a grey Silverado. Wrong fractura. Beside that, there was no fractura or ownership document with our trailer papers at all! So now, we have to go to a notario to get bonded. And, we found stapled to our papers the fractura from someone else's 4 wheeler. That poor soul is most likely in some hell or limbo without it. Now what?
I don't know whether it's all a mistake, incompetence or fraud. Most likely a bit of all. Are we even in the system after using a "reputable" import company and paying over $2400 CASH!

These folks needed to take some responsibility for their mess. They "imported" their vehicle and trailer, yet never bothered to actually look at the paperwork before they drove off to Nayarit? If they had done so, they might have noticed that the FACTURA (not fractura, which they misspell consistently- they should just use the word "title" if they don't know the correct Spanish word ) had an old date, and described a different vehicle. While I do feel bad for the folks who get taken, it seems like some just want to hand over money and have someone else take care of everything for them and accept no responsibility to check anything out for themselves.

Nevertheless, it is a good thing to post the name of a company which is scamming people.By the way, I'm pretty sure that was one of the company names which SAT was giving out years ago as recommended importers..

Archived