Chapala.com Webboard

Costco Kirkland Butter

CG2U

Would share except all 8 lbs have prior commitments and I would become a disparecido if I were to give any up. We are testing a pound of homemade butter I whipped up today to see how it performs in a couple of cookie recipes, just in case the Costco butter lock down continues indefinitely.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought butter at Mega. A brand called Lurpak, 45 pesos for only 200 gram bars but it's very low moisture, made from cream no salt added very rich, very expensive!! Also there is butter by the kilo bars in Abastos called Loma Linda. At Abastos, if you drive to the paid parking side, which is a heck of a lot easier to get around in, drive straight to the back and turn left at the end. We've been shopping in the store right in the center back side for odds and ends like whole wheat flour, wheat gluten, etc. The bakery supply store, which is two doors down from that center store on the left facing the back sells Loma Linda butter for 44 pesos a 1 kilo bar. I used up everything else I had purchased before opening the Loma Linda butter. It's not as rich of a butter as Kirkland, it's salted, smells pretty good though.

Reading up on homemade butter, it became a little complicated especially using for baking. Those of you making your butter are you using an organic heavy cream that isn't ultra pasteurized, adding a live culture to your butter like whey, then rinsing your butter and drying it off? From what I've read, that's about the only chance one would have with trying to bake with it but I've never made it so idk. Would love to try though.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-butter-and-cultured-butter-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-194372

Just finished making an applesauce cake (Clinton Kelly, The Chew.com) using 8 oz homemade sweet butter....scary good....even if it could be better using Kirkland Costco or a Euro butter, wouldn't want to "go there"....next, pumpkin scones with cinnamon butter (Bon Appetit)....cookies using homemade butter somewhere on the horizon....

@Pulelehua

Thank you so much for your cheesemaking link!

I was rummaging around in it and found this page on making butter...with a blender.

http://www.cheesemaking.com/Butter.html

The whole thing is an interesting read but scroll to the bottom for the actual "how to". I'm posting this for all those who want to make their own butter but whose shoulders were screaming just thinking about shaking a quart jar for fifteen minutes. I was actually toying with the idea of taking my quart jar to the paint store until I read this link.

Archived