Chapala.com Webboard

Calabaza Castilla how do I cook it? Is it like squash?

J.Miller

I just bought half of a Calabaza Castilla mostly because it looked so much like the squash that we have in Canada. I had plans of preparing it the same way as I would the squash that I am used to with some seasoning and a little butter in the oven but then I got looking at a Mexican recipe online and it seems like maybe there is no comparison to what I am used to. Does anyone have a simple way to cook it and serve it as a vegetable or to make some soup out of it?

Hensley I bought it at the Bodega in Joco. Georgia Peach: I guess that means that it does not taste like squash? I guess I will chop it up and boil it. When you say that you use it for the dogs do you treat it as a vegetable? Ours eat hamburger, broccoli and oatmeal as recommended by our vet; they seem to love it but pumpkin would be a pretty different taste. I guess I will just have to try them with it!

Hensley I bought it at the Bodega in Joco. Georgia Peach: I guess that means that it does not taste like squash? I guess I will chop it up and boil it. When you say that you use it for the dogs do you treat it as a vegetable? Ours eat hamburger, broccoli and oatmeal as recommended by our vet; they seem to love it but pumpkin would be a pretty different taste. I guess I will just have to try them with it!

It's in the squash family (vegetable) - they all have a different flavor. Sometimes you have to add a little sugar to it (only for you not the dogs), sometimes not, it all depends on that particular pumpkin. Sugar pumpkins ( which I have not seen here are sweeter). Pumpkin is very high in fiber and is very good for a dogs digestive tract especially if one or two (like ours) have IBS. It has worked wonders for (well you know, that stuff we have to pick up in the yard). It is a very healthy food for both dogs and humans, oh yes and one of our cats has been given two teaspoons in her food for two years now and it certainly cured her tract as well. She had been on all kinds of meds for her IBS including probiotics and the pumpkin is the only thing that worked. Google it, there is plenty info on it. We have 10 dogs and 2 cats and use it for all of them, just for added fiber. Cat - 1 teaspoon in her food twice daily. Large dogs 2 tablespoons each feeding - medium 1 tablespoon each feeding - small dogs 1 teaspoon each feeding - more or less if needed. Our dogs love it. And then of course there is the great pumpkin pie for thanksgiving. We get it from our veggie/fruit guy at the Wed tianguis in Ajijic - midway down or up the walkway - across from they guy that sells videos. Just tell him and he will get it for the following week if he does not have it. Remember though, its seasonal. We get as many as we can, then I cook and freeze. It certainly is much cheaper than buying the libby's pure pumpkin in the can, and even that is limited here.

I used to make my "pumpkin" pies with butternut squash. For holiday gatherings I was always asked to bring my delicious pumpkin pie. People who asked for the recipe were surprised at the main ingredient.

Butternut is supposed to make the best pumpkin pies.

Cristina, after being boiled in syrup like you described, is the shell edible? or is it a sort of scoop-the-flesh off affair?

The shell will be hard no matter how long you cook the squash. You could use the shell of the calabaza de Castilla for body armor.

Just put the pieces of cooked squash, skin and all, in your dish. Pour a little hot milk over the squash and eat the flesh with a spoon.

Archived