Chapala.com Webboard

A reminder of reality NOB.....

lcscats

Just came back from Florida. At a Disney resort the African themed restaurant lowest priced entrée was 37 dollars. Most were 42 dollars. This did not include anything else and was not a Michelin star restaurant or anything close. I won't complain anymore about my 140 peso Filet anymore. By the way Disney has four parks now with each park costing 100 dollars a day. Same costs at Universal. On the positive side the resort suchi was OK and not overpriced. Burgers fries and milkshake for three is over $40 dollars at Universal. New Harry Potter park was excellent so was Simpsons area.

Glad to be back home.

Just came back from Florida. At a Disney resort the African themed restaurant lowest priced entrée was 37 dollars. Most were 42 dollars.

What was on the menu at this African themed restaraunt,bush meat?Were the waiters wearing hazmat suits?

"The new Harry Potter park was excellent.."Too funny.

Guest bennie2

they still have lunch "specials" in my home town. (10usd or so). what is interesting is that these restuarants are either italian, mexican, or japanese owned. (not chain but private). corporations & malls are always over priced.

The restaurant meals we had this past summer were wonderful but expensive. Surprisingly expensive. We had a 4 person meal at a interesting and lovely fondue place with 3 protein, 4 veggie and 2 dessert fondue choices and two bottles of wine with tip over $170 then we used a groupon for $40 so it ended up $130. The place was packed on a Tuesday night. Waiter said it is always packed.

We meet a couple from Ajijic visiting Cleveland and had dinner at an charming old restaurant we used to frequent. Again 2 bottles of wine, 4 entrees, I don't remember dessert because the entrees were just stupendous. Even with $29 groupon which we split I recall the bill with tip being about $110 each.

A trip to the Orioles ballpark for 5 adults and 2 kids ran over $400. Ballpark beers which are 2 oz less than a standard beer were $9. Tickets were $35. And the place was packed. It was a whole LOT of fun!

Dinner for 5 adults at a Thai place was bring your own bottle and the bill with tip was $98. Then off to a magic show, tickets $15 at halfprice with the groupon, only to be seated and the 2 drink minimum, with beers again at $10 each and a martini at $14 so that evening was tickets, $75, drinks for 5 ran $120. And parking in Federal Hill $20. Another $300 night and the places were packed.

Our favorite Greek place, what we used to pay $45 for two meals was floating $100.

We did not see much languishing economy. New phones, new cars, new clothes, packed malls, packed entertainment venues...it was very surprising.

Recently returned from the US and can confirm exorbitant prices. Breakfast for 2 in an IHOP in Little Rock was $28 plus tip as an example. Five Guys fast food cheeseburgers were $7 plus tax. It was hard to find real food. Everything seems to be food service, processed whatever and tastes accordingly. I put on nearly 10lbs in 2 weeks and not because I overate.

Of course, prices vary widely across the U.S., from metro to rural, coasts to interior.

My U.S. price points are set on Seattle and Brooklyn, NY, and we've only lived here in Mexico for a year, so the above prices all seem completely normal, if not downright cheap. I would be hard-pressed to find anyplace in Seattle where one could feed four people, including two bottles of wine and tip, for $170. That's only $42.50 apiece, including 2.5 glasses of wine per person! And of course NYC is more expensive than everything except possibly the DisneyWorld restaurant.

It is not a coincidence that we are living here instead of there. /wry

Worst I heard was 15 dollar French fries in a Napa California restaurant. Most of the Epcot Food and beer and wine festival was priced in a sane manner the African Resturant was just flat out crazy cost wise. As I said to be fair Disney Suchi at another resort did not make my eyes pop out like the African menu prices.

Worst I heard was 15 dollar French fries in a Napa California restaurant. Most of the Epcot Food and beer and wine festival was priced in a sane manner the African Resturant was just flat out crazy cost wise. As I said to be fair Disney Suchi at another resort did not make my eyes pop out like the African menu prices.

Ah, this takes my back to last year's trip to Carmel, CA, where prices were in lunar orbit. So glad to be home.

In wondering how all those prices got to where they are, one small factor occurs to me, and what do you all think about it?

In Lakeside, if you spill hot coffee in your own lap, a waiter comes over to help you clean up and brings you a fresh cup. In the States, it's a lawsuit opportunity. Many other examples of such thinking.

So: high insurance costs as another reason for high prices?

Guest bennie2

lobita, NYC varies depending upon: lunch "specials" in 1 or 2 star restaurants to lunches & dinners in 3, 4 & 5 star places. i dont know about chains since i dont go to them. a nice upscale bistro midtown 9th ave w. 40s would be $25 usd for a burger, $12 usd for glass of wine. same prices in brooklyn depending upon the neigborhood. then theres always those ethnic lunch specials which cant be beat. there is always breakfast specials in diners.

Archived