Chapala.com Webboard

Laredo Bridges

stuphel

We've always gone through the larger bridge (2) when crossing into Nuevo Laredo from the U.S. Looking at the streetview maps, it looks like Bridge One leads more easily into Highway 85, and is a less busy bridge. Does anyone have an opinion as to which bridge is preferable and why?

We have our temporales and do not need a TIP sticker, as we have it already.

We've always gone through the larger bridge (2) when crossing into Nuevo Laredo from the U.S. Looking at the streetview maps, it looks like Bridge One leads more easily into Highway 85, and is a less busy bridge. Does anyone have an opinion as to which bridge is preferable and why?

We have our temporales and do not need a TIP sticker, as we have it already.

I would personally strongly advise you to continue crossing at the 'new' Bridge II. Although it looks like that Bridge I is a straight shot, and it is, it also dumps one RIGHT THROUGH the heart of Nuevo Laredo. Although nothing 'serious' may happen to you going this way, it certainly did a few days/week ago to a couple that did that route 'with a reputable guide'. Cost them an extra $400 US from unsavory characters who had guns.

My money is still on taking the 'bypass' along the river on Blvd Coloso. Probably faster in the long run anyway (not many signal lights).

I agree, once I missed the turn heading N and came through the middle of NL and haven't made that mistake again. Friends always used Columbia, but it's a ways W and it's a bit sketchy as far as being in lonesome territory so I always stuck with #2 and never a problem. The only reason to go to #1 is to turn in your Temporal visa.

Almost the same distance via Pharr, significantly less toll and no driving through any big town to get to the bridge. Cuota bypasses Reynosa and drops you right at the bridge.

A serious driver can make Pharr and a reasonably priced overnight stay there in one day from here, arriving before dark even in October.

RickS

Are you sure that the folks that had the previous trouble crossed at the Convent Avenue Bridge (#1) ? I reread that thread and it wasn't clear to me if they crossed at Bridge 1 or Bridge 2. I also see that you specifically asked that question and their reply seems only that they crossed at the in city bridge, which could indicate either. Don't know if you got further clarification about this or not. It was that incident that made us consider using Bridge 1 this time.

A good point about the busier road when going absolutely straight south off Bridge 1. We were actually thinking about taking the more western 4 lane road that you get by turning immediately right off the bridge then curving around to the left and eventually it merges with 85 at the south end of town. It has some lights but is a reasonably quick major route.

Any thoughts?

MC. I agree about Pharr, but this trip our route dictates coming in through Laredo.

I know, that post is for the reference of others. Two people have done both routes and confirmed the Pharr route costs no more time, saves big on tolls and avoids going into any cities after the ring road around Lagos de Moreno which is shared by both routes.

When are you coming?

We're coming in Oct. 31. Still trying to figure out if the problems at Laredo have been after Bridge 2, or after folks stop at Immigration or to get their TIP sticker. We have gone through Pharr on our return north in the past. However, we did it by going across from Monterrey to Reynosa/Pharr. It was a good trip. We decided to not take the route up by Ciudad Victoria because we did not want to do it in one day as we are travelling with two dogs. Trying to find hotels that will take the dogs in either SLP or Cuidad Victoria proved to be in vain. Ended up going by way of Matehuala where we know we can get a hotel that allows dogs. Same thing on our trips southbound, hence this thread asking about the bridge situation.

Yes, the hotel situation on the route through Ciudad Victoria to Pharr isn't great. The only way I know you could do pets on this route is to stay at a NoTell.

There are several on the south side of Ciudad Victoria and several on Ruta 57 inside the Periferico in San Luis Potosi.

Have a safe trip! I will be reporting on the direct route through San Luis Potosi before you leave. That might save you some time and tolls on your last day.

RickS

Are you sure that the folks that had the previous trouble crossed at the Convent Avenue Bridge (#1) ? I reread that thread and it wasn't clear to me if they crossed at Bridge 1 or Bridge 2. I also see that you specifically asked that question and their reply seems only that they crossed at the in city bridge, which could indicate either. Don't know if you got further clarification about this or not. It was that incident that made us consider using Bridge 1 this time.

A good point about the busier road when going absolutely straight south off Bridge 1. We were actually thinking about taking the more western 4 lane road that you get by turning immediately right off the bridge then curving around to the left and eventually it merges with 85 at the south end of town. It has some lights but is a reasonably quick major route.

Any thoughts?

MC. I agree about Pharr, but this trip our route dictates coming in through Laredo.

Actually I am just reading the same information that you appear to have seen also. No first hand knowledge.

But that thread actually referenced two incidents.... the first one about folks, in one car, being forced to the side of the road after "leaving the Aduana area" (my words). That one to me sounded like it was, yes, after crossing at Bridge II and then driving onward on Blvd. Coloso. But farther down that thread was a discussion, posted by the person that was actually fleeced. They had two cars and were being lead by a seemingly reputable 'guide' to Chapala. His posting name is "elevator". His description, to me, sounded like they must have used Bridge I but of course that is not specifically spelled out.

In any case, I would still only use Bridge II as I personally don't want to be driving the inner streets of Neuvo Laredo.

See: http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?showtopic=52137

Archived