Chapala.com Webboard

Do I have to go Permanente?

NLU

My FM3 began in November 2010. I renewed in 2013 with a Prorroga of 2. My new card which expires next month does have such a number on the reverse side where a Preorrga 3 would have appeared.

So, this is my 5th year. Can I choose to stay on the new Residente Temporal for one more year?

Or, do I not have a choice and have to become Permanente?

Obviously, this question concerns my USA plated vehicle.

After 4 years it is go permanent, leave Mexico and start over in the US, or let it expire in Mexico, pay a regularization fee, pay a fine, provide bank stmts with translations and then be temporary again, then get a retorno seguro to get your car to the border and then you get a new TIP and bring it back

or let it expire in Mexico, pay a regularization fee, pay a fine, provide bank stmts with translations and then be temporary again, then get a retorno seguro to get your car to the border and then you get a new TIP and bring it back

Gheesh with all that and the lawyers fee to handle it .... probably cheaper to import

After 4 years it's Permanente or start over in the US

For those looking for this option (starting over) for whatever their personal reasoning is....

There seems to be a fairly straight-forward way to do this that involves driving to Laredo..... several folks have reported here and other forums that the Mexican Consulate in Laredo can and has provided a new Temporal in as little of 3 hours.... assuming that one has the financials to qualify (and Intercasa has shown us that the financials levels required NOB have just been reduced!)

Drive up one day, visit the Consulate the next, have your new 4-year Temporal by afternoon. Do some shopping if you like. Cross back into Mexico acquiring a new TIP assigned to your new Temporal and head back home.

Maybe stevebrtx or others will chime in with their experiences doing this not too long ago....

For those looking for this option (starting over) for whatever their personal reasoning is....

There seems to be a fairly straight-forward way to do this that involves driving to Laredo..... several folks have reported here and other forums that the Mexican Consulate in Laredo can and has provided a new Temporal in as little of 3 hours.... assuming that one has the financials to qualify (and Intercasa has shown us that the financials levels required NOB have just been reduced!)

Drive up one day, visit the Consulate the next, have your new 4-year Temporal by afternoon. Do some shopping if you like. Cross back into Mexico acquiring a new TIP assigned to your new Temporal and head back home.

Maybe stevebrtx or others will chime in with their experiences doing this not too long ago....

If he starts over on a 6 month preapproved RT with financial from a Mexican Consulate I read everywhere his local INM office will only allow him to apply for a 1 year RT and after 1 year he will be allowed to apply for a renewal of 1, 2, or 3 years on his RT status. I read no one except those applying under the law "Vinculo Familiar " get to get more than 1 year RT the first time.

Going to the border can be tricky. If you go before your card expires they will not give you a new one as you will have a valid one in the system. If you leave after expiry your car will be illegal and so will you for that time in Mexico. You really have to make a run for the border 1 day before expiration and then spend 2 days up north or maybe 3.

"Fred, all the OP asked was if he could stay temporal for one more year. Period. It is a reasonable question.'

I thought so as well.

All I needed was a "No!"

Thank you, Sparks.

I didn't need any of the rest

Except as always, Spencer's stuff is enlightening.

Archived