Chapala.com Webboard

e-reader question

protekme

Hi to the technically smart

To register my e-reader with Amazon, I had to give my address. As I live permanently in Mexico, that’s the address I gave. Because they know where I live, I cannot order books directly from Amazon-US. And the book choice from Mexico is not too good.

I believe that even if I gave a Canadian address, I would still be forced to use Amazon-Mexico as my IP address is Mexico. In turning off Location-Aware Browsing permanently, is it good enough to hide my IP address?

Firefox says that they only request a location when a website makes a request, and only shares your location when the user has approved the request. Firefox does not track or remember your location as you browse. Is that true?

My husband did not register his e-reader yet. When he does, could he give a Canada address and be able to order books from Amazon-US?

We bought those e-readers in Canada (if it makes any diffference).

Thnaks

You can cancel the account and re-register the Kindle using a Canadian or U.S. address. They don't care about the IP location. I get books from Amazon all the time.

For Firefox, you pretty much give tacit approval to share location information just by installing it, although on tablets and phones there are other settings to prevent that. You'd have to install an Add On to change that [and use their Do Not Track function (which only tells sites not to cookie you for advertising, but still reveals your IP].

I use two accounts for iTunes and for Amazon, registering as both Canadian and American. For the U.S., I just use an address of a hotel in Florida that I stayed at once.

• 2 weeks later...

Colibri - I have had similar issues with my Kindle - I am a Canadian with Canadian IP address but when I first purchased the Kindle I set myself up with a US Amazon account. With the recent exchange rate differential, I would rather buy in Canadian dollars now. I messed around with it for hours and then I called their help line and they were extremely helpful in getting me set up. What you cannot do though is have access to both Amazon Canada and Amazon USA on the same kindle - too bad because the inventory is not exactly the same.

Thank you feewee,

Yes, I realize that. I'd prefer to have access to the large US inventory, even to the Cdn inventory but not Mexican as it's very different. I guess, at this point for me, it's a matter of in what currency I want to pay. I registered my husband to the US Amazon. We'll see how it works out.

Thanks Yo1 -- That was my question earlier. It's getting clearer to me now. I guess we really have to do and risk it to learn.

I just checked out our accounts with Amazon. My husband and I have indicated different countries, but when I check both accounts, we get the identical choice and the exact, same list of books. It's related to my computer. The books I searched and looked at, even before having my e-reader, are appearing in each of our lists. Weird. The site knows everything we do.

It seems that the currency we will be paying in depends on which Amazon we order from. When I go into Amazon. ca (cdn) Amazon US or uk, they have their prices listed in their own currency. Now, I just have to order books and find out how it works.

Archived