Chapala.com Webboard

New Health Insurance Law?

mexicoblue

My insurance broker from Grupo Nacional Provincial (GNP) just told me that my next year's policy is increasing by 48% because I turned 70. She said the money is due in one week and if I want to pay in two payments there will be an additional 5% charged on the entire amount. There must be some regulations preventing this kind of abuse. Last year's increase was about 20%. When I began insuring with them, I paid $10,000 pesos 18 years ago. I can understand increases of 10-15% every few years but almost 50%? She said there is a new law and all Mexican insurance companies are doing this. I have a $26,500 peso deductible and the rate this year will be $92,000 pesos. Last year it was $62,000 pesos. Obviously, I'm either going to have to die earlier or have to switch to Seguro Popular. This just seems immoral and possibly illegal. Does anyone else know about this?

Now you can better understand why we have had to sell our home and leave Mexico for the land of VA and Medicare.

We also sold our Jalisco car and cancelled the insurance with Jesus Tejeda. Now he has a Catch 22: Having charged our US credit card for the premiums all these years, he claims that the law prevents him from issuing a credit to our card for the refund. He claims that a check is being prepared and will be sent when ready. Only I can cash it and only at one bank. BUT, we will be gone by the time it is ready.

Funny, how he was at our door instantly, years ago, when we first wanted to buy insurance. Have not seen him since and it seems he cannot deliver the refund in cash.

I'll let you know if he solves the problem or if I have to kiss the refund goodbye.

We received a reimbursement from AXA for some health insurance expenses we had paid out of pocket and then recovered from the insurance company. We received a document that we took to Santender - we used the one in Chapala. I had to provide my passport and it had to match the name on the document. The teller at the bank knew exactly what to do and took care of everything promptly - just 5 minutes or so. They issued a check in pesos (of course) - essentially like a cashier's check in the U.S. I didn't ask if they could cash it so don't know if that would be possible. I deposited it in a Mexican bank account.

We did not receive a check from the insurance company or the agent. Rather a document that allowed Santender to issue a check.

Remember that insurance agents (any insurance agent in any country) have relatively little decision making authority. They don't decide if a claim gets paid, determine the premium, or decide how a reimbursement or refund gets processed. They can make a tremendous difference in providing advice, helping when problems occur, facilitate paperwork, etc. But quite honestly I don't think it is likely (or reasonable) to think that an agent can "make an exception".

BTW - Jesus is our agent and we have had truly exceptional service from him. Have nothing but praise for every interaction we have had with him.

When we left for Texas in February our insurance company "Parker" said the same thing that they could not re-imburse the credit card but they would send a check to our Texas address. No problem.....got the check within 3 weeks if I remember correctly and put it in the bank here.

I did leave them with a letter that said we wanted to cancel on such and such a date and gave them the address to send our check.

Thank you Jesus!

Jesus Tejeda showed up at my door just before we were to leave for closing. He had cash in hand, our of his pocket, for our refund. Whwn rhw check is finally produced, I hope he can send it to us and we can try to caxh it at some future date in Nogales, where we will probably make a medicine run now and then. We might then be able to reimburse him by cash or personal check, international money order, etc.

His reputation for service above and beyond is fully intact.

WOW! Hard to imagine that anyone could do more than Jesus does time after time. Truly remarkable but I have had a number of amazing experiences with him so not really at all surprised. Money out of his own pocket! Incredible!!!

WOW! Hard to imagine that anyone could do more than Jesus does time after time. Truly remarkable but I have had a number of amazing experiences with him so not really at all surprised. Money out of his own pocket! Incredible!!!

DITTO! DITTO, DITTO!

I happened to be in Parker Insurance office to day dealing with car insurance

I could not help over hearing one end of the telephone conversation...."yes the (health) premium has increased 35%...lets check how we can reduce it......what about increasing the deductible from 53,000peso to 65,000!!!!!"""etc etc..

No wonder the #1 reason for folks trying to sell and go back NOB is for health associated reasons

Archived