Chapala.com Webboard

coffee shop

ibbocat

We have fresh pastries every day. We have fresh pizza on Tuesdays. We have Homemade potato soup. We have spring rolls. The Costco cookies are there at the request of the customers. When you sell fresh pastries you have leftovers so we sell them at a discount. We serve much better coffee than in the past. Frankly we can't afford Peter and yes he has good food. We have served sloppy joes. We had salads but no one bought them. We carry what sells remember this is dead time of year. Working on good Decaf coffee right now.

Why don't you talk to Terry if you are so concerned?

I don't think that coffee bar was ever intended to be a full service lunch place. Having some sandwiches, drinks and a few goodies are all that should be expected and they do a good enough job of it, IMO.

If someone wants a delicious breakfast or lunch, all they need to do is cross the street to Chimi's restaurant, where his wife makes a great meal with different specials daily....all in a cozy environment at very reasonable prices. (Chimi speaks English; his wife, Charo, doesn't.)

BTW, the french fries and hash browns start with a fresh potato there. Bon appetit.

Maybe its a dead time because you have the wrong products!!

You know, that's a crappy and rude response to LCScats' very reasonable response.

Yup. Go to Terry. He'd probably love to hear your suggestions.

Lexy

So I try to be nice and that's what I get. Most folks think it is an improvement over the previous Café. No I can't compare to Peter but I also can't afford Peter. We have home made pastries, soup, spring rolls, Somoza, and Bagels from Costco. Yes our famous tuna salad sandwich. We are making better coffee these days. For Soda we have coke, diet coke, pepsi, 7up, apple and orange. For teas we have our bagged teas and diet and regular ice tea from lipton. We carry Kirkland water which is very tasty and high quality. No we are not perfect but we are in the process of constantly improving our products and we do take suggestions however be constructive and realistic.

Oh yea people love the Costco cookies we sell out all the time so we do use Costco cookies, and Bagels. All our pastries come from the Bakery near Bancomer. Pizza fresh on Tuesday comes from same bakery. The soup was made by one of our employees and the Asian rolls and somoza comes from the lady who sells at the market on Tuesday. (sorry can't remember her name). Our coffee comes from the Veracruz guy up by Activer. We try to use local vendors to help lakeside. Next fresh brewed Decaf coffee.

One day at a time!

lscats, what a great attitude! I could never handle running a restaurant here or anywhere, the criticism would kill me. I'm too sensitive but hats off to you! You're confident enough to even write on a public forum where your products come from and admit what your limits are rather than hiding it out of insecurity!

Way to go! Buena Suerte!

Does OP, in this case, mean Obnoxious Pest? He/she is usually not, so maybe it was just a bad day for the OP, or maybe a bad day at the LCS coffee shop with a stale cake, etc. Who knows? Why all the fuss? Only the OP knows.

OK, now I am the pest. :)

Does OP, in this case, mean Obnoxious Pest? He/she is usually not, so maybe it was just a bad day for the OP, or maybe a bad day at the LCS coffee shop with a stale cake, etc. Who knows? Why all the fuss? Only the OP knows.

OK, now I am the pest. :)

No, you're not a pest. The OP had what I think is unreasonable expectations for a small refreshment bar at LCS. "The cats", Zed, offered a more than adequate explanation. Good on ya, Cats.

Back in 2007 when Peter had the contract Costco bagels w/cream cheese was a big seller and also the Costco cookies.

Peter's wife made all the other pastries that were very good. There was no soup or salad or other main dish, just various drinks.

maw

The next decaf I test will come from Chapala. Grano decaf is OK but I remember the Chapala Decaf is better. Time will tell. Decaf probably will cost more than regular coffee (12P). Intend to have second small coffee maker and thermos for decaf to keep it fresh. If anybody has any NOB airpots they are not using we could use them. We are using thermos bottles now but they are too slow when the hoards show up in December. It will be nice to get a cup of brewed fresh decaf over freeze dried nescafe right?

I should make it clear. I do not run the café. I ran it for a week to keep things going and I had been doing shopping for the café. I have nothing to do with it now that the new person is trained other than doing decaf in the future. I do not care to ever run a cafe again as others in this string had pointed out. I am just a volunteer. When things are busier we can try new things but right now we want to be careful to not buy too much we can't sell.

Questions

Do folks miss the Costco muffins??? We think fresh pastries are better and we stopped buying Muffins. Comments??

We tried homemade sloppy Joes and they sold out. I thought Chili might be nice in the winter. Comments??

I think keeping it a coffee shop with cookies and pastry is all that should be done. Anything more, and you would be competing with local restaurants and might stir up animosity.

I think keeping it a coffee shop with cookies and pastry is all that should be done. Anything more, and you would be competing with local restaurants and might stir up animosity.

I think you are right. It's enough of a task to keep the right amount of small snacks fresh for the customers. If someone wants a full meal, they can go across the street to Chimi's or walk a few blocks to another restaurant.

Fred, we get the Spam a lot faster if someone sends us a PM. You can either PM me at this name or my member name.

Thanks everyone for helping us curb spam. We have a very powerful tool now thanks to the Admin where one click gets the spammer, their membership and every post and thread they have put up, all at once.

Archived