Chapala.com Webboard

ChromeCast Chrome Browser & US Netflix

mkshawn

ChromeCast Chrome Browser & US Netflix: Are any of you successfully using this? Are you using a "Hide My IP"? Which one & Why?

I have been reading in online forms that the use of extensions for this purpose in a Chrome Browser are no longer allowed? Have any of you experienced this failure recently?

Tks in advance

I'm using a variant. I have a Roku 3 which I use for Netflix, Prime and other "channels" then I use Chromecast and Chrome cast from tab to view PBS News Hour and whatever other shows I want to see streaming live. That said, Chromecast can be glitchy. About one in four uses I have to restart my computer for some error or another -- mostly no sound. Lately this has improved and I assume that it will keep getting better. The sites that offer the direct choice to use Chromecast, like Youtube work much better. Because I have Roku, I have never watched a movie from Netflix on Chromecast. I'm sure it would work fine once you got started. This is using a pretty fast computer with lots of memory and Windows 8.1. Casting from tab is inherently demanding on your computer so, at least in part, it depends on your particular equipment.

I'm using a variant. I have a Roku 3 which I use for Netflix, Prime and other "channels" then I use Chromecast and Chrome cast from tab to view PBS News Hour and whatever other shows I want to see streaming live. That said, Chromecast can be glitchy. About one in four uses I have to restart my computer for some error or another -- mostly no sound. Lately this has improved and I assume that it will keep getting better. The sites that offer the direct choice to use Chromecast, like Youtube work much better. Because I have Roku, I have never watched a movie from Netflix on Chromecast. I'm sure it would work fine once you got started. This is using a pretty fast computer with lots of memory and Windows 8.1. Casting from tab is inherently demanding on your computer so, at least in part, it depends on your particular equipment.

On a recent trip to the States I took my Chromecast dongle along to show my hosts how it worked so well...they weren't impressed at first. They have ultracable at 25 megabits but the shows on the Chromecast would jump and shake with the audio out of sync. The geek at Best Buy told me it was the strength of the wireless router in the house....which was located under the ceiling in the basement halfway to other end of the wooden structure house from the TV we were watching. He suggested replacing it with a top of the line stronger one. My friend couldn't believe this as the router was a $150 Costco model from just last year. The Roku box was "always on" while we were watching...we unplugged it and no more casting problems. It is apparently a bandwidth hog on your home wifi.

In Chapala we rarely have a problem casting from a Chromebook or any other source to a Smart TV but we have no other wifi devices on at the same time. Our download speed ranges from 2.75-3.05 on the basic Telmex package. Very rarely it drops below 2.5 and it won't work then but basic computer actions do work with that, only slower page changes.

Archived