Chapala.com Webboard

Tip

camacho

With all the chit chat about if the waiters only rely on their tips....what is the "Law". Are some "responsible" restaurant owners providing a minimum wage whilst other owner are ducking their responsibility.

If diners have strong feelings about the well being of the waiters , maybe they should been asking the owners are you in compliance with the labor law..if not I will take my business someplace else...just like "fair trade" food stuff.

Next time I go into a restaurant I will ask the owner what is his policy..you do the same and we will compare results

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With all the chit chat about if the waiters only rely on their tips....what is the "Law". Are some "responsible" restaurant owners providing a minimum wage whilst other owner are ducking their responsibility.

Minimum wage here is about 5 bucks a day.That's the "Law".

Guest bennie2

no waiter works for wage anywhere. 10% is too small of a tip, it should be 15%. lakeside7, this is the reason why the world dislike/disrepects americans. its not your business what a restaurant owner does. you have alot of nerve to do that in mexico. (or anywhere). whats next? boycott? picket city hall? sign a petition?

no waiter works for wage anywhere. 10% is too small of a tip, it should be 15%. lakeside7, this is the reason why the world dislike/disrepects americans.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying bennie..

From what I have heard Americans are among the most generous tippers in the world.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying bennie..

From what I have heard Americans are among the most generous tippers in the world.

I think bennie2 is implying that people in other countries don't like Americans because they feel they can tell people in other countries how to run their business, lives , etc.

bennie2's run on sentences and lack of capitalization make his/her posts difficult to understand.

bennie2, how about you take a tip from me and help us all out by trying to express yourself a bit more clearly.

I think bennie2 is implying that people in other countries don't like Americans because they feel they can tell people in other countries how to run their business, lives , etc.

bennie2's run on sentences and lack of capitalization make his/her posts difficult to understand.

bennie2, how about you take a tip from me and help us all out by trying to express yourself a bit more clearly.

Thanks for clearing that up,her posts are often hard to decipher.

Guest bennie2

lakeside7, the reason why americans are disliked around the world, is because they meddle in other peoples affairs. (its chronic & cultural). it is rude to ask a small business owner what wage he pays his help. it would be inappropiate in the US. the inquiry is "confrontational". it also sounds like a backhand accusation. most mexicans would be offended. tips should be 15%, sometimes more. i tip between 15%-20%. some countries in europe include your tip w/your total.

Guest bennie2

MC, you are right. the USA is known for starting trouble across the world. this is from the top down. its a part of our culture i cannot relate too. when an average citizens (like i see here in ajijic) try to be "do gooders" it is resented. the help IS underpaid, they depend upon tips. in the US the restaurant wage is way below the min wage. tipping is necessary.

Just to hear "the other side" of how much to tip, since the students (all gringo) asked her: Our Mexican Spanish teacher thinks we are tipping more than the Mexicans do, and thinks 10% is enough, unless it's a special restaurant or the waiter gives unusually good service. Whaddya think?

lakeside7, the reason why americans are disliked around the world, is because they meddle in other peoples affairs. (its chronic & cultural).

"Americans are disliked around the world"..Can you cite a source for that??

That certainly hasn't been my experience while traveling and living abroad.

Just to hear "the other side" of how much to tip, since the students (all gringo) asked her: Our Mexican Spanish teacher thinks we are tipping more than the Mexicans do, and thinks 10% is enough, unless it's a special restaurant or the waiter gives unusually good service. Whaddya think?

I think your teacher is probably right,but are you going to change your tipping habits?I still give pedestrians the right of way when I'm driving even though many if not most drivers in Mexico don't,some habits are hard to change.

Guest bennie2

viajero, everyone knows we are the most disliked country. the constant interference is cultural. this has nothing to do w/"you" on any level, so dont start. world history is not @ all about "you". i do agree though that 10% is too small of a tip. europe & US is 15%. i hear now they are making 20% the standard in the US.

My experience has been that your teacher is correct. 10% is actually high; many of my Mexican friends tip 5 to 8% unless we are dining in a really high-end restaurant, when 10% is the norm. In fondas and other low-end eating places, most Mexicans do not tip at all.

My experience has been that your teacher is correct. 10% is actually high; many of my Mexican friends tip 5 to 8% unless we are dining in a really high-end restaurant, when 10% is the norm. In fondas and other low-end eating places, most Mexicans do not tip at all.

Wow, that surprises me--and I always trust ML's information. I'll have to think about it. Being me, smart or not, I'll probably continue to tip 15% because it "feels" right.

Lexy

Wow, that surprises me--and I always trust ML's information. I'll have to think about it. Being me, smart or not, I'll probably continue to tip 15% because it "feels" right.

Lexy

I tip 15% for the same reason, but wanted to toss in a point of view from a Mexican from Guadalajara who thinks differently, as apparently do her acquaintances....according to her. (She's a very nice, hardworking teacher, too.)

Many of the Tapatios think we overpay our household workers, too. They say it "spoils it" for them.

Right or wrong, opinions certainly differ among the various communities.

I don't think much of a restaurant automatically adding a tip% to the bill. Who knows where that money goes? I'd rather give what I think is fair, directly to the waiter.

Guest bennie2

household help is different than a restaurant. (IMO). in a restaurant you are more flexible w/the amount you give or not give. no one will take you to labor court. no one will have grand expectations based upon some expat tradition. no one will steal you blind because you didnt rise to the occassion. you can go up & down w/the amount. you dont have to use the same waiter or even go back to the restaurant. if you are generous, the waiter may take special care of you. its ok to "spoil" the waiter, as you are not obigated to keep doing that. (maids can hold you hostage, waiters cant). i sometimes give more than 15%. adding the tip to the check is standard in many restaurants in the world. there were several times i left NO tip & rightly so. the owner in the thai place is not wrong. he's looking out for his help. if he dosn't, they may quit & go else where.

More Liana is correct about her observations on tipping of meseros by Mexicans as opposed to foreigners.

Remember when you tip 15%, you are actually tipping 18% of the food bill. Otherwise you are tipping on the sales tax (IVA), which goes to government, not the restaurant or the help.

!2.5 % of total bill with tax is about 15% of the restaurant"s portion of the revenue collected.

What percentage of restaurant patrons in Mexico are Mexican as opposed to "others"? I've been in crowded restaurants in GDL where the only foreigners the waiters have ever seen are in the movies, but they (the waiters) struggle on and seem to be glad they have the clientele to attend to.

You can't judge all of Mexico, or all the waiters, on gringolandia.

Archived