Chapala.com Webboard

Critical Need : CEDEJO Clinic for indigent women

Sheila

I am writing today to let you know that CEDEJO, a women's clinic based in Ajijic that serves indigent women in this community, including those of the Tepehua community, is in critical need of funds. I started an online fundraiser in August of 2013 in a desperate attempt to keep the clinic open after volunteering with them and witnessing the need within this community for the services they provided. (I've posted about the clinic and the fundraiser multiple times on this board, i.e here and here).

Over the last year, the online fundraiser has been the only funding source for CEDEJO's clinic and has kept it open for months longer than we ever thought it could remain open. For that, I know CEDEJO and the women it serves are very, very grateful.

However, the funding we've raised to date only covered up through May of 2014. For the last few months CEDEJO's director and volunteers have been making up the difference and paying for supplies and services out of their own pockets. I can attest to the fact that they do not have the money to continue to do this on their own. But they cannot bear to stop providing critical services to women and girls, especially after all the time they've taken to build up trust with them.

CEDEJO has been meeting behind the scenes with potential long-term funding sources (both governmental and international foundations) and have been working very hard to create partnerships which will, hopefully, begin to bring in some long-term funding in late 2015. I plan to share the news about these partnerships as they unfold - there are some exciting possibilities on the horizon! However, the funding through these sources will not be generated until late 2015.

CEDEJO and the women and girls of the Lake Chapala community need our help today.

Empty Hands Video

I discovered the video I'm sharing in this post when I was searching for potential international funding sources for CEDEJO's programs. When I watched it I was moved to tears because it exemplifies so well what I've witnessed Sylvia Flores and CEDEJO volunteers deal with on a daily basis. The film is made in Guatemala but when I shared it with Sylvia and the other volunteers they said, "This is how it is for all of Mexico as well....".

And one volunteer said "...it made me realize the true importance of our call. I feel grateful for the place I'm in and for the opportunity to do something. It brought meaning, once again, for the everyday effort and reminded me not to forget the essence of our work...."

Please watch the video and consider this: Can each of us now, in CEDEJO's time of need, recognize we're in a place and have an opportunity to do something? Can we support CEDEJO's work and the positive effects it has on the larger community and the world? Please, help today if you can. Give any amount you are able to give. And if you are unable to give money, please share this call with others that can. Your time, energy and support are very much appreciated!

TO GIVE TO THE CLINIC: Donate on my Fundraising Page : GoFundMe OR Donate on CEDEJO's Website via PayPal OR deliver donations to the clinic (45-A Ocampo, Ajijic) OR deposit directly in to their bank account (see website for details).

Twitter: @CEDEJOAjijic (https://twitter.com/CEDEJOAjijic)

Women are referred to Seguro Popular and, of course, it is available to everyone. However, women who have no income cannot get to Guadalajara or the offices to get services, or they cannot afford to take the bus to the locations, thus why this clinic is free for those women and girls. Also, many women of indigenous or lower-income status are not educated about the programs available to them and/or they do not trust the programs or people administering them. The women who CEDEJO serves rarely leave their house more than a few blocks, for many different reasons, and they often have children that they have to care for which prohibits them from movement. There are many reasons why CEDEJO and programs like it are needed. I am actually going to make a video soon that interviews these women to discuss these issues. It will be in honor of CEDEJO's director and her 40 years of service to this area.

CEDEJO is in collaboration with DIF and women's workshops to educate women about their choices. However, there currently is no funding provided by DIF for these educational workshops (although CEDEJO is trying to work on getting some funding for this from them and it is looking hopeful).

As for the video, as I stated in my original message above, "I discovered the video I'm sharing in this post when I was searching for potential international funding sources for CEDEJO's programs. When I watched it I was moved to tears because it exemplifies so well what I've witnessed Sylvia Flores and CEDEJO volunteers deal with on a daily basis. The film is made in Guatemala but but when I shared it with Sylvia and the other volunteers they said, "This is how it is for all of Mexico as well....".

Please review the CEDEJO website and the fundraising page to learn about the programs and the clinic and then if you have further questions, let me know and I will try to provide you answers. Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, the original funding for this program came from the Rotary Club International but that funding ended in August 2013 and they could not re-fund this program because of new rules around funding. At least that's what they told me when I requested more information. That's why I started the original campaign to begin with - to replace the loss of those Rotary funds.

CEDEJO is looking in to other long-term options for funding, as I stated above. And there are a couple of international foundations they are in discussions with and these will likely bring beneficial partnerships and more stable funding for their programs in 2015. They are also in lots of meeting with government agencies in Mexico as well, always trying to get funding (these programs used to be supported by the government in past years). These actions will bring good things in 2015.

But for now, CEDEJO is in need of funding to bridge the gap that has existed the last few months and will exist in the upcoming months.

Thanks for considering supporting this program.

Something about this doesn't seem right. SP has clinics in Chapala, Ajijic and Jocotepec. If they can get to a CEDEJO clinic why can't they go to an SP clinic?

To save money and use it more effectively, why not use the funds for travel expenses if someone needs to go to Hospital Civil in Guadalajara instead of duplicating services?

Instead of second guessing Sheila and the volunteers at the program about whether or not they have explored every avenue available, how about we all just assume that she and the program directors know what they are talking about, reach into our pockets, and give what we're able to give? That is what is being asked. I'll go onto the website and give later in the day today. I encourage the rest of you to do the same. Let's help them bridge the gap until some longer term solutions can hopefully be found. If my 50 pesos or 500 pesos help a woman or girl protect her sexual health and contribute to her reproductive freedom, how much better could my money be spent?

I met Sheila some time ago when she first took on this mission to help Flores and her clinic. This is an amazing and capable young woman and I'm glad to see she's still working at helping this clinic.

I wish she had someone experienced in putting together a fundraiser. Even though that takes some funds to get underway, it would seem a good way to raise even more money for her cause all at once instead of asking for individual contributions. Sheila does such a wonderful job in promoting her efforts, I think a fundraiser would bring a good response from our community.

Best wishes, Sheila!

Lexy

I think Sheila is going to have to deal with a credibility issue and do something to allow potential donars to verify the validity of her organizations. Posting online testimonials from other anonymous bloggers just doesn't provide the validity needed to dole out money. There is just too much online fraud, and with the many well raised points and red flags on this page I would guess only the gullible will contribute. If you are legit Shiela, get yourself accredited.

I met Sheila some time ago when she first took on this mission to help Flores and her clinic. This is an amazing and capable young woman and I'm glad to see she's still working at helping this clinic.

I wish she had someone experienced in putting together a fundraiser. Even though that takes some funds to get underway, it would seem a good way to raise even more money for her cause all at once instead of asking for individual contributions. Sheila does such a wonderful job in promoting her efforts, I think a fundraiser would bring a good response from our community.

Best wishes, Sheila!

Lexy

That is a good observation about fund raising. I am now getting emails from a person who has a good program , and using a web page called GOFUNDME

The person who does a web page for the San Juan Cosala Feed Programe has done a super job

The newbies who have the background experience of producing web pages have changed the whole way for raising monies for charities.

We all have our preferences and dislikes..just read and obtain for info on the ones you think you want to support and go for it

I don't see the reason to duplicate services. SP is free for indigents and provides free vaccines, prenatal health care, medicines, etc.

I can understand people being too poor to afford transportation so why not raise money for bus passes that can be used to help people get to work and to medical care?

Why not use money for a food bank and to teach people how to grow a community garden?

This organization is not doing anything different than SP so why donate?

Maybe Sheila is new and doesn't know about other services that are already offered.

That is a good observation about fund raising. I am now getting emails from a person who has a good program , and using a web page called GOFUNDME

The person who does a web page for the San Juan Cosala Feed Programe has done a super job

The newbies who have the background experience of producing web pages have changed the whole way for raising monies for charities.

We all have our preferences and dislikes..just read and obtain for info on the ones you think you want to support and go for it

The GoFundMe web page was created by Sheila last year to raise funds for the program discussed here, and it continues.

Lexy.

Best wishes, Sheila!

Lexy

I think I need to clarify what I meant as a "fundraiser," as a suggestion. I meant a benefit, an event, a one-evening gala or dinner or dance for which tickets are sold and some entertainment and raffles are offered.

Sheila's website, GoFundMe, is how she has raised and is raising funds for the clinic. She's not a newbie in town, as some of the doubters of her project seem to be. Please don't let this thread deteriorate. Send her a PM if you have questions that she hasn't already clearly answered in detail.

Lexy

Let's see if I can address some of the questions here:

"If they can get to a CEDEJO clinic why can't they go to an SP clinic? To save money and use it more effectively, why not use the funds for travel expenses if someone needs to go to Hospital Civil in Guadalajara instead of duplicating services?"

Like I stated above, there are many reasons why some women won't go to those clinics, a lot of which has to do with trust and time and money. When a woman doesn't understand how the system works or she has tried to used the system unsuccessfully or she doesn't feel like she can take the time or spend the money on transportation (of which many will have to do as the mammograms and many services beyond simple pap smears are located in Guadalajara) -- they just decide to not do anything which is detrimental to their health and doesn't help anyone. CEDEJO bridges the gap here and gets women to come and get basic preventative services, like pap smears and breast examinations. CEDEJO does educate women about the government services available to them and helps them navigate the system to receive services but it is a matter of educating them and helping them to trust the system. The most important thing CEDEJO has done has been to get these women and girls in to the office to receive exams. The Director of CEDEJO spent months driving around the poorest neighborhoods with a loud speaker on her vehicle, announcing the clinic and its services when this program first started. She and the other CEDEJO volunteers have gone directly to the people to reach out to them and have spent years building up trust with these communities so that they will begin to take care of their health. Without this clinic and this basic level of trust - spread by word of mouth in these neighborhoods - these women would not be seeking services at all. CEDEJO is trying to change this dynamic and culture around these issues. The solution to this problem requires more than just handing someone bus money.

"I think Sheila is going to have to deal with a credibility issue and do something to allow potential donars to verify the validity of her organizations. Posting online testimonials from other anonymous bloggers just doesn't provide the validity needed to dole out money. There is just too much online fraud, and with the many well raised points and red flags on this page I would guess only the gullible will contribute. If you are legit Shiela, get yourself accredited."

I personally don't have any organizations. I am a volunteer for CEDEJO, the organization I'm raising funds for to help them keep their programs going until they can secure more stable foundation and government funds, which they are working on doing. You can find out more about CEDEJO and all it does by visiting their website which I listed above. CEDEJO is a Mexican civic organization that has all its papers and has been working in this area for over 40 years. Not only can you confirm this by googling CEDEJO and Sylvia Flores but there are plenty of people who have lived here for years that can vouch for CEDEJO's fine work. If you have concerns about this organization and want to discuss those concerns with someone, make an appointment with the Director of this organization to speak with her.

As far as online fraud goes, I understand your concerns. Today there are many fundraising and crowd-sourcing sites that raise funds for various things - from getting money to take a trip abroad to paying for college education to supporting 5K walks for research funds. It is best you do your own research on anything you might want to support via online donations and then make your own decision on what you want to support. There are many non-profit organizations raising money online nowadays and it allows people to easily give (rather than sending a check in the mail or going to a fundraiser), which is why it's so successful and continues to be the number one way non-profit organizations are now raising their money.

I'm sorry, but I don't know what you mean by "get yourself yourself accredited". Do volunteers who offer their time, energy and skills to various organizations have to get themselves accredited? If so, where would you do this? And what would the accreditation be for - to acknowledge that volunteers care about their community, women's empowerment and the health of families?

"Why not use money for a food bank and to teach people how to grow a community garden? This organization is not doing anything different than SP so why donate?"

CEDEJO actually does have a womens' empowerment workshop program in which they teach women how to grow gardens so that they can grow medicinal herbs and their own food. Their Mujers, Podey y Vida workshop covers many issues, from self-esteem, to domestic abuse, to learning about women's bodies, to reproductive rights, to how to learn new skills to become entrepreneurs in order to improve their economic independence. This program is essential to helping to educate and empower women to use the governmental services available to them. Like I said, it takes more than just providing someone bus fare to help them change their lives, their outlook or to help them take care of their health. CEDEJO fills the gap - things that this community and government agencies are not providing to these families.

If you don't feel this organization is making a difference and you can't see the value of their work, then please, by all means, do not give. No one is forcing you to do so.

"I wish she had someone experienced in putting together a fundraiser. Even though that takes some funds to get underway, it would seem a good way to raise even more money for her cause all at once instead of asking for individual contributions. Sheila does such a wonderful job in promoting her efforts, I think a fundraiser would bring a good response from our community."

There is a fundraiser being planned for December of 2014. There is another community member who has been instrumental in helping CEDEJO make connections with a foundation in Canada that will be working with CEDEJO to get this fundraiser organized. I wish I had more time and energy to help with this event but I just don't. Stay tuned for more information on this - subscribe to receive CEDEJO updates (from their online blog) to learn more about this as it unfolds.

I hope this answers some of your questions. If you'd like to support this cause, you can donate via my fundraiser page, via the CEDEJO website or by dropping off your donation to the clinic (make an appointment with Sylvia Flores, the director). Again, thanks for any support you can offer.

I can understand that those of you who are new to our community may not have heard of Sylvia Flores. She is well loved and respected and has, done a remarkable job of bringing family planning and other services to poor women in our area. I don't think she needs suggestions for new programs - the organization needs money. If you believe in the need for expanded women's health and family planning programs, please donate to this very worthy cause.

I have a serious problem with anyone who will not go for help, doesn‘t know or trust, etc. etc. If you want pets, get a dog. Ugh!

If you want to help, knock on their doors and offer advice; maybe even contact information for a ride or Cruz Roja ambulance, etc.

Why insist that they need another clinic when IMSS and SP exist for them. What they need is information and guidance, perhaps, but that does not require funding a clinic. Good intentions are often misguided.

Sylvia Flores has been an angel to the poor women of our community for years! The local clinics often reject these women by telling them to come back tomorrow or next week. Prejudice does exist in Mexico. Delegado Hector has tried to have the gatekepper at the 6 Corners centro de salud without success. Her union is strong. Appeals to the regional and state secretaries of health accompanied by petitions and face to face pleas went unheeded. Hopefully, these facts will help you to take pity on these most needy women and girls.

I understand that, and her good intentions. However, a clinic has serious limitations. In emergencies, Cruz Roja can take the indigent to Hospital Civil emergency for attention. Volunteers could offer support there, as some do now with food deliveries, etc.

We do what we can with folks we know, and they are appreciative, but we have never seen the need for an additional clinic. The local gatekeeper can be dealt with by locals, if they wish. Maybe they don‘t care enough.

RV, how do you know if they do or dont need an additional clinic? do you know that area? the system is bad all around, they are correct not to trust. assume these ladies dont have cell phones or maybe not even a landline. if they are far away then it would be difficult to get to the IMSS or SP or guad. it may be an entire day in guad for SP. no ones forcing anyone to give $.

The goal of CEDEJO programs is to educate and to empower. The whole point is to get to women and girls before "the emergency", meaning before they're dying of breast or cervical cancer and before they're having their fifth child that they cannot afford to care for. It is much cheaper (and more humane, in my opinion) to provide preventative services and provide education on how to utilize the government programs than to respond to more severe and costly emergency situations.

People can sit here all day and speculate about what is needed or what could be done better or how they would do things differently. We all have different opinions and beliefs about what is needed in this world around women's health and reproductive rights and I respect debate around that issue - by all means keep this thread front and center. If it spurs someone to actually take action and participate in efforts to make a difference, great!

CEDEJO, more than anyone else on this forum, understands in great detail the challenges and obstacles women and girls face in this community. They understand in great detail how the various government programs work. They are responding to real needs within the community. If you believe in what they are doing, please donate to help them continue their work.

sounds like the org helps the women understand how SP/IMSS works. preventative is the way to go. if the women like the idea of a clinic then its a good thing. wonder why so many expats think they know whats best. they never even visited the people in need. the org doesnt do tasteless fund raisers-yet, thats a plus. dont stoop to that level.

I think there are some folks that have it right. I´ve not had any experience with CEDEJO, but I remember walking by their offices years ago and wondering what it was. Just because you haven´t heard of them before doesn´t mean that don´t provide a needed and necessary service to the women of the community. If you don´t want to donate, don´t. But there is no reason to question their credibility, role in the community or need of funds. Just sayin'.

Thanks to everyone who has supported CEDEJO in the past and to everyone who gave what they could in the last couple of days. We're very close to meeting the final fundraising campaign goal. I hope we can close the gap by the end of the week. :-)

Archived