Chapala.com Webboard

Walking your dog .. male aggression

THE biggest problem I have in my little pueblo is walking my dog twice a day. There are some aggressive dogs here. Of course by the nature of the Mexican .. who inhabits his body very well .. isn't about to go too far out of his way to help you, you're on your own!

I sometimes carry a walking cane and clobber their heads. Then the owners come out and scold me. Funny, I always tell them the same thing: This is the street, we're not in your house, this is public territory, Seems to work.

My dog is fixed. You'd think that would change the rules and norms in the dog world, but nope, not here.

Modeeper, I don't understand your post. What do you mean by:

"Of course by the nature of the Mexican .. who inhabits his body very well .. isn't about to go too far out of his way to help you, you're on your own!"?

And when you refer to "male aggression", are you referring to male dogs or male humans?

I also have problems walking my dogs in my neighborhood (I have one male, one female, both fixed) but I must admit, my dogs add to the problem by barking at loose dogs. My experience is that male or female, any dog can be aggressive, or not aggressive. I'm just trying to understand exactly what you're saying.

Buy a tazer at the Tianguis. Just the crackling sound usually scars aggressive dogs away.

Ja!

Someone who inhabits his own body is a polite way of saying they don't give a sh*t. Language courtesies often look like errors, when they're uncommon in our world.

My dog is a shitz who :mellow: (look, that's a smiley), about the quietest calmest creature on the planet. I don't recall ever hearing him bark, much less at another dog. Even when he was in tact he never did anything more than try to mount them. :unsure:

To generalize a bit, IMO most locals don't love their dog the way many of we Gringos do. They seem to have a role to play, a job to do .. like living on the roof and barking at anything that moves all night long.

I sometimes carry a walking cane and clobber their heads. Then the owners come out and scold me. .

I've never ran into an aggressive dog here and I walk my dogs everyday.

There's a difference between an aggressive dog and a dog just being a dog. Any loose dog is going to come over and say hi to your dog. If I saw you clubbing my dog in the head just because he was saying hi to your dog, we'd have some words too. The worse thing you could do is try to protect your dog or worse, pick him up. Let them be dogs. Aggressive dogs seem to disappear quickly down here. If they're alive, they're probably not aggressive.

If they're alive, they're probably not aggressive.

Precious! That reeks of logic.

I've never ran into an aggressive dog here and I walk my dogs everyday.

There's a difference between an aggressive dog and a dog just being a dog. Any loose dog is going to come over and say hi to your dog. If I saw you clubbing my dog in the head just because he was saying hi to your dog, we'd have some words too. The worse thing you could do is try to protect your dog or worse, pick him up. Let them be dogs.

Yep just let a pitbull do their thing...

Some of the dogs have calmed down, some just remain the same. Some dogs I have no idea what's with them as I don't go down their streets anymore. I've been Googling dog behaviour for years, I'm shocked at how much we still don't know about them. My dog was castrated three months ago, I did it thinking it was for his own good. Today he is the same dog he always was, trying to mount anything that moves and he obviously still smells male.

As Art Hess, the Dog Trainer pointed out in his latest column in The Ojo: it's pretty much the owners, not the dogs.

By the way, knowing Mexican culture sheds a little light on the subject: throughout history, the people have believed that animals have no soul, and are to be treated thusly. This has just started to change with the rise of the educated middle class, and will eventually spread.

Precious! That reeks of logic.

Try using the whole quote:

Aggressive dogs seem to disappear quickly down here. If they're alive, they're probably not aggressive.

Yep just let a pitbull do their thing...

Pit Bulls are all over down here. They're all over my street. They're the choice of breeds for the locals. A Pit Bull is just a dog. Nice dogs at that. Do you always generalize? "Of course by the nature of the Mexican". Tell us about Blacks.

I've been Googling dog behaviour for years, I'm shocked at how much we still don't know about them.

You, as well as the so called "dog experts", will never understand dogs. Sounds like you lack the "s a v v y" required.

Oh please do go wank in public somewhere, get busted and deported.

So we're sitting in Golden Gate park at midnight, me and my beau .. oh here comes an old fellow with a trench coat and a half pair of pants and he seems to be touching himself, down there. Oh let's not generalize, he probably has his clothing in a laundrymat and is scratching a flea bite.

Get my drift? Of course you don't. Too subtle fer ya.

Say ,, is English your second language? Don't get offended now, it's no crime to be illiterate. A lot of countryfied folk quit school very early in life and helped with the chores round the spread. Cheers!

Oh no he's going to report me. What are you going to tell them, that you came out of nowhere, a person I had yet to address and put me down so I came back at you? That you're the victim? jajajaja

Oh please do go wank in public somewhere, get busted and deported.

So we're sitting in Golden Gate park at midnight, me and my beau .. oh here comes an old fellow with a trench coat and a half pair of pants and he seems to be touching himself, down there. Oh let's not generalize, he probably has his clothing in a laundrymat and is scratching a flea bite.

Get my drift? Of course you don't. Too subtle fer ya.

Say ,, is English your second language?

This sort of post is inappropriate,especially in the "Let's talk about our Furry and Feathered Friends",sub-forum.IMO.

He? She.

Yes I am accomplishing what I set out to do here. I wanted to know what the expat community was like at your lake. So far it's been educational.

Back to dogs..

Snaf has a picture in his/her mind I walk my dog and all these fluffy white poodles come running up wagging their tails wanting to make friends with mine. Me, being the menso I am, have never learned the difference between friendly and aggressive and over-react trying to protect my best friend.

I'm not sure about Mexicans believing dogs haven't a soul and are "treated thusly." I doubt it's a Mexican thing as much as an ignorance thing. And women who apapacha their dogs are common enough. I always believed in that old adage, you can judge a people by the way they treat their animals. So we're left with an unreliable 50/50 result.

Yes, I agree. I'm taking hits from all sides. Someone on an Internet forum doesn't like me. I could cry! Maybe quiet introverted low self esteemers who drink themselves to sleep every night are more the norm. HELLO! Is there any life out there ... HELLO!

Say, Yo, do you have a dog?

Archived