Chapala.com Webboard

Car Importation Investigations????

N2Futur

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems a lot of things here remain a mystery to you. There are companies that sell motorcycles here. They are imported according to the rules and regulations. They pay a number of fees or taxes. The imported motorcycles must meet certain safety standards. Lots of paperwork involved. Why do you seem to think you shouldn't be held to the same standards?

Feel free to cite references as to just what "safety standards" you think Mexican motorcycles must meet that are any different than what is required for U.S. or European bikes.

Hint: There are none and you're blowing smoke. I was looking to import a used bike that is not available here.

You put your finger on it, however. It is all about "fees" (taxes) and taxes (more taxes). That is really all it is about. Every country from which vehicles are imported to Mexico has higher safety and emission standards than Mexico. Look it up.

This whole import charade is a government racket designed to protect the locals who can then charge retail plus for everything with wheels. It is a brilliant creator of corruption and confusion. The people who know how to beat this stupid system make out at the expense of everyone else.

Read up on "protectionism."

Feel free to cite references as to just what "safety standards" you think Mexican motorcycles must meet that are any different than what is required for U.S. or European bikes.

Hint: There are none and you're blowing smoke.

You put your finger on it, however. It is all about "fees" (taxes) and taxes (more taxes).

This whole import charade is a government racket designed to protect the locals who can then charge retail plus for everything with wheels. It is a brilliant creator of corruption and confusion.

Read up on "protectionism."

Free trade is an illusion. Your country is one of the worst violators of free trade in the world.

How about the two of you phone each other and move on. This is ridiculous and makes me believe the moderator is on holidays. I made an effort to get some information here and obviously that is secondary to this personal dispute.

I can also tell you this, The Lake Chapala area as well as many parts of Mexico has been experiencing an undisputed slow down in real estate activity over the last number of years. Americans and Canadians considering a move permanently or as part timers to a warmer and possibly a less demanding destination are doing their research. My wife and I bought in Manzanillo and have been researching the Ajijic area for a future semi retirement place. This forum has been promoted and grown to be respected as a source of local information and a champion of the area and Mexico in general.

However of late and with a consistant thread of mostly the same posters, it has lost the lustre.

Instead of " posting for the sake of posting, playing this moronic "I'm right - you're wrong" game, how about some common sense and respect. Especially for new people.

Frankly in topic area after topic area this bickering is and will continue to turn off the prospective newcomers.

If there becomes an alternative forum , this one will lose out.

I understand this web forum is a necessary part of many people's " daily life" and I see names with thousands of posts. However You need to give this wonderful portal of the life in the Lake Chapala area the respect it deserves.

I am quite sure it was never intended to become the proverbial school yard.

CeeZee is absolutely correct. It has become a sad example of what it should be, and once was. On this topic, our solution was to buy a car legally imported by a distributor and sold by a Mexican dealer in Guadalajara. The cost was about the same as one would pay for that car anywhere in the world. Now, it is for sale used, as we have sold our home and must head north for health and age considerations.

It was fun while it lasted......13 years, and we are not looking forward to the move.

My friendly advice today is: If you must move to Meico in your US or Canadian venicle, to carry your goods, just empty it and turn around and take it back to Texas and sell it at CarMax, etc.

Return by bus or plane and buy a replacement in the state where you will live. You may then travel anywhere with no border hassles or expense. Greedy and corrupt transitos may not even notice you any more.

It used to be otherwise, but not any more.

My friendly advice today is: If you must move to Meico in your US or Canadian venicle, to carry your goods, just empty it and turn around and take it back to Texas and sell it at CarMax, etc.

Return by bus or plane and buy a replacement in the state where you will live. You may then travel anywhere with no border hassles or expense. Greedy and corrupt transitos may not even notice you any more.

It used to be otherwise, but not any more.

Very good advice. I should have taken it sooner. As you say, when the plates became Mexican, the hassles stopped.

Just because you have to live in Tucson, RV, doesn't mean you can't continue to hang around here and stay in touch!

You're welcome.

Nice edit!!!

And now can you show me something that says they are not required to meet these standards? Talk about unsubstantiated claims.

But....FYI speedometers have to be accurate within 3%. And speedometers must read in kilometers. Ever seen a Harley with one of those?

What standards, Cooper? I'm simply asking you to back your claim up with a reference.

There are no vehicle inspections on motorcycles when imported. It is all paperwork. I can't speak for cars. Do they inspect cars being imported including a speedometer check?

I haven't seen a Harley without a speedometer in years. Do they have those here?

What standards, Cooper? I'm simply asking you to back your claim up with a reference.

There are no vehicle inspections on motorcycles when imported. It is all paperwork. I can't speak for cars. Do they inspect cars being imported including a speedometer check?

I haven't seen a Harley without a speedometer in years. Do they have those here?

Have you imported a motorcycle? Of course Harleys have speedometers. But they read in mph. Motocycles legally imported (and that is what we are discussing) must have speedometers that read in kph. If you haven't noticed, that is how distance here is measured.

Speedometers must be accurate to the standards set in Normas Oficiale Mexicanas. Again, this must be proven before motorcycles can be imported here. There are also emission standards and (you'll just love this) noise level standards.

I can post links to these standards but they are all in Spanish so you won't understand what they say.

But just like finally coming around on the need to have a vehicle exported from the US, you will find that these rules also exist.

And BTW, vehicles imported at the border must also comply with state laws when and where they will be registered. That includes an emission test here in Jalisco. You won't get plates until the vehicle can pass the test.

I have no problem nationalizing a motorcycle already in Mexico.

Motorcycles legally imported by individuals from the U.S. have to have speedometers marked in KM?

That is news to me, I'll be sure and pass it along to my riding buddies who have imported bikes. It should be good for a laugh or two particularly among the guys who imported dirt bikes that have no speedos.

I'm just asking you to cite where it requires an inspection for all these import standards you claim exist. Not a person I know who has imported a bike has had the authorities inspect it for anything. They must all be a bunch of law breakers.

I haven't imported a bike yet, I ride with a number of guys who have done so and none of them have encountered what you claim. Obviously, the first thing I did when thinking about importing a bike is to ask the people I know and ride with what their experiences were. One of them imported a bike less than a month ago.

For me to nationalize from within Mexico I need scanned copy of title front and back, a scan of an utility bill (not necessary to be in your name), a scan of front and back of MX driver's license (or that of someone you know) and some photos including one at at OXXO proving vehicle is in Mexico. That applies to trailers, motorhomes, motorcycles, cars, SUV's, boats.

No one up to now has provided visa, mileage, change speedometer, been asked any other questions. For NAFTA vehicles you keep title. Eighty-seven cars completed and while slow all funds are protected. Three non-NAFTA completed and told should be able to do more next month.

Possibly the issue of speedometers comes from those importing into Canada but when my husband imported his Volvo into Canada not even that was an issue.

A person can nationalize 5 vehicles.

Sonia

Sonia--those may be the requirements for which ever state you are in, but they are not the requirements in Jalisco.

Those are the requirements for me to nationalize a car anywhere in Mexico including those I have done in Jalisco. I have nationalized cars from places such as Zihuatanejo, Manzanillo, Jocotopec, San Miguel, Cancun, Cozumel, Guanajuato City, Barra de Potosi, etc etc. And all have their state plates and registration.

Nationalizing is Federal.

Sonia

Motorcycles legally imported by individuals from the U.S. have to have speedometers marked in KM?

That is news to me, I'll be sure and pass it along to my riding buddies who have imported bikes. It should be good for a laugh or two particularly among the guys who imported dirt bikes that have no speedos.

I'm just asking you to cite where it requires an inspection for all these import standards you claim exist. Not a person I know who has imported a bike has had the authorities inspect it for anything. They must all be a bunch of law breakers.

I haven't imported a bike yet, I ride with a number of guys who have done so and none of them have encountered what you claim. Obviously, the first thing I did when thinking about importing a bike is to ask the people I know and ride with what their experiences were. One of them imported a bike less than a month ago.

I was responding to your complaint about what Mexican retailers here charge and the protectionism you claimed . For motorcycles to be sold commercially. And there have been no cases of protectionism or unfair trade practices against Mexico because they demand motorcycles meet certain standards.

I think we are again discussing two different topics. You are talking about commercial importation, I am approaching this from the personal, one time or highly infrequent, point of view. The half dozen or so bikes my buddies have imported haven't been subject to any standards or inspections. Just paperwork.

Still waiting for you to show us how Mexico actually verifies this demand for standards you keep claiming. I think you'll just find that they rely on U.S. and European standards. Obviously, someone importing new bikes in some volume is going to be buying them from the U.S., Europe or Asia all of whom have standards.

And, again, I think we all need to wait until Aduana reopens for vehicle importation to find out what the new game in town on this is going to be.

I think we are again discussing two different topics. You are talking about commercial importation, I am approaching this from the personal, one time or highly infrequent, point of view. The half dozen or so bikes my buddies have imported haven't been subject to any standards or inspections. Just paperwork.

Still waiting for you to show us how Mexico actually verifies this demand for standards you keep claiming. I think you'll just find that they rely on U.S. and European standards. Obviously, someone importing new bikes in some volume is going to be buying them from the U.S., Europe or Asia all of whom have standards.

And, again, I think we all need to wait until Aduana reopens for vehicle importation to find out what the new game in town on this is going to be.

Why do you think that Mexico relies upon other countries' standards. Are you implying they are somehow scientifically inferior and must rely on more "advanced" countries standards? Your americentrism is showing again. Products imported into this country have to meet a number of qualifications. They are subject to standards from anyone of a number of government bureaucracies. Health, Environment, Safety etc. The standards are usually listed as NOMs. Normas Oficiales Mexicanas.

Here are a few for you. They are requirements by PROFEPA and by all means not all of them.

NOM-049-SEMARNAT-1993 Características del equipo y el procedimiento de medición, para la verificación de los niveles de emisión de gases contaminantes, provenientes de las motocicletas en circulación que usan gasolina o mezcla de gasolina-aceite como combustible.

NOM-048-SEMARNAT-1993 Niveles máximos permisibles de emisión de hidrocarburos, monóxido de carbono y humo, provenientes del escape de las motocicletas en circulación que utilizan gasolina o mezcla de gasolina-aceite como combustible.

NOM-082-SEMARNAT-1994 - ACLARACIÓN Límites máximos permisibles de emisión de ruido de las motocicletas y triciclos motorizados nuevos en planta, y su método de medición.

NOM-080-SEMARNAT-1994 - ANEXO 1 Límites máximos permisibles de emisión de ruido proveniente del escape de los vehículos automotores, motocicletas y triciclos motorizados en circulación, y su método de medición.

And one from the Secretaria de Economia:

NORMA Oficial Mexicana NOM-121-SCFI-2004

Archived