Chapala.com Webboard

Wifi and security.

Jistme

Hi, OG: Can you tell me, which modem model you have, and how you are accessing when you say "go into my Infinitum modem/router"? Are you sure what you are seeing is connected to you, or is rather other wifi signals in the area?

It is actually the case, then it might be possible to block specific MAC addresses. Not sure.

When I look into my Huawei modem, I see four unnamed devices connected to my IP range. One is my own network, as identified by a network symbol. I can see the MAC addresses for each of these "devices". Turns out the others are three pieces of wireless router/extenders I have set up throughout the house that are powered on, but I am not currently using.

Meanwhile, if I do a getmac command, only one MAC address actually shows up, so I'm willing to bet the other devices are simply shadowing my existing devices. Even when I plug in a wireless adapter, I only get one more device using getmac. So I changed the SSID and password. And I still have the same devices showing.

Where I am in Riberas, only one of my neighbours has WiFi, and it always shows up on my list of available connections, but of course is marked as "locked", indicating it requires a security key. Since in my neighbourhood by my house there is really no place to "hang", it is doubtful I will ever see anything else until someone else living near me also gets Infinitum.

There is a tool for identifying MAC addresses when they show up in your modem. It is here: http://coffer.com/mac_find/

Using this, I can see definitely that the unidentified devices are in fact shadow addresses... for instance, my router shows an address for my iPhone, and another base address for the same phone.

Hi, OG: Can you tell me, which modem model you have, and how you are accessing when you say "go into my Infinitum modem/router"? Are you sure what you are seeing is connected to you, or is rather other wifi signals in the area?

It is actually the case, then it might be possible to block specific MAC addresses. Not sure.

Hi again, ComputerGuy--

The modem is a Thomson TG585V7. By "go into," I mean I type the URL (all numbers, no letters) into my browser (like, HTTP://192.196.etc.) then enter the user name and the password. Then I get a Thomson Gateway page that shows four options: modem, broadband connection, tool box, and home network. The home network section provides a graphic display of all the devices that are currently active on the lan, either by ethernet cable or wifi.

I THINK I have solved the problem, however. I tried hiding the SSID as snowyco suggested, and the other unknown users *seem* to be gone. It took me a while to figure out how to reconnect my own wifi devices, but I did manage to do that, with the exception of my Nokia Windows phone. Can't figure out how to get that one reconnected.

Thanks much to you, snowyco, and others for all the good suggestions.

Hi again, ComputerGuy--

The modem is a Thomson TG585V7. By "go into," I mean I type the URL (all numbers, no letters) into my browser (like, HTTP://192.196.etc.) then enter the user name and the password. Then I get a Thomson Gateway page that shows four options: modem, broadband connection, tool box, and home network. The home network section provides a graphic display of all the devices that are currently active on the lan, either by ethernet cable or wifi.

I THINK I have solved the problem, however. I tried hiding the SSID as snowyco suggested, and the other unknown users *seem* to be gone. It took me a while to figure out how to reconnect my own wifi devices, but I did manage to do that, with the exception of my Nokia Windows phone. Can't figure out how to get that one reconnected.

Thanks much to you, snowyco, and others for all the good suggestions.

OG: I don't have access to that router anymore, but as I recall, like the 2Wire, it kept a list of everything that had been connected, like a cookie. But not necessarily active. Hiding your SSID would have caused a refresh and perhaps wiped out that list. But, I can't say for sure, so for now, congrats on being that much more secure than you were, and getting there yourself.

OG: I don't have access to that router anymore, but as I recall, like the 2Wire, it kept a list of everything that had been connected, like a cookie.

ComputerGuy, your recollection is correct. I did find that list of all the devices that had been connected. The list did not refresh or wipe out when I hid the SSID, but I was able to delete the suspicious ones, one at a time (while leaving the ones that are my devices or those of recent guests). So, if the deleted ones reappear on the list, I'll know the kids have figured out a way to get back on my modem/router. Gracias de nuevo!

Archived