Chapala.com Webboard

Nationalizing Nafta car at border

EddyR

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wouldn't it be better to deal with someone directly in Mexico like Nuevo Laredo at place of Laredo since it must be done in Mexico. They probably must give a cut to the people in Mexico. Just crossing into Nuevo Laredo there are lots of brokers that have sign above their business, easy to find and you can shop and compare.

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't the new policy you have to export first and that I believe takes 3 days?

Yes,to do it legally that appears to be the case,which at least for now , would suggest that so called "virtual"rationalizations,ie;not taking the vehicle to the border,probably aren't going to be completely valid.

Check out, Grupo MCA, 5112 Tesoro Plaza, Laredo, Tx. (956) 722-3522 or (956) 722-3138......speak to Claudia.

They have been used by friends, I will use when time comes.

Let us know how it goes.

I sent MCA all of the required docs a week before I crossed. We agreed upon a total price. When I arrived at their office, they asked for $2200 instead of $1700 USD as quoted prior. I said no. Upon walking out the door, they dropped the price down to 1800 USD. Would not use MCA again. Claudia was my agent also. May 2014.

At the border even $1800 is high. I am nationalizing cars starting at 18,500 pesos depending if Canadian (more) or American plated and value of car. The highest quote I have had for a 2005 truck with Canadian plates is 23,500 pesos. Average is 21,000. for US plated vehicles.

I can nationalize NAFTA cars with no trip to border if I start within next 2 weeks. I started 2 this week and will do 3 to 4 more before end of week.

Sonia

For anyone thinking of taking their currently Mexican plated, former American used car, back to the USA, realize that formal exports of American used cars, imported into Mexico, have been legally required by US Customs and Border Patrol for over 10 years. It is not a new policy.

One "new policy" is that Mexican Aduana is now checking whether the American titled used cars have completed the US CBP process before allowing a permanent import into Mexico.

Another "new policy" is that US CPB has told people since last April that they had become aware that many Americans have previously illegally permanently imported their cars into Mexico without first completing the required CBP export. This means Americans who did not properly export their American cars probably should not take their Mexican plated car back to the USA, because the US CPB may stop and check your car.

The fines for individuals who did not do their export are just $250, but the US fines for professional businesses who handled the imports into Mexico without following US CPB export laws can be stiff ($10,000).

Americans who do not want to face fines, or break US laws, should complete the US CBP export at the border before importing or plating a used American titled car in Mexico.

Post (ad) no. 11 says....no trip to the border?

The operative word being (ad),Sonia is blatantly advertising her "services" on this forum,isn't that against the forum rules?

With all the recent changes regarding nationalizing vehicles I would suggest that anyone contemplating using this facilitators services be very wary..

The operative word being (ad),Sonia is blatantly advertising her "services" on this forum,isn't that against the forum rules?

With all the recent changes regarding nationalizing vehicles I would suggest that anyone contemplating using this facilitators services be very wary..

Who do you know other than the person known by Yuca Steve who has been unhappy?

She isn't advertising her services anymore than others who nationalize vehicles or who do legal work. We suggest local mechanics, resturants, different services everyday to the benefit of the community.

If it benefits us to be aware of a service isn't that in our interest? If I can save $1000 dollars in travel to the border to nationalize then I would like to know I can do that. I need to nationalize soon and I want to know my options.

If it benefits us to be aware of a service isn't that in our interest? If I can save $1000 dollars in travel to the border to nationalize then I would like to know I can do that. I need to nationalize soon and I want to know my options.

Well,then you have two weeks according to Sonia to start the process,since you have so much confidence in her I suggest that you start the process ASAP, please do let us know how it goes.

Note for Newbies: I suggest that, if moving to Mexico, you simply bring your stuff down in your US car and then turn around and take it back for disposal in the USA. Canadians may want to follow the next suggestion: Alternatively, fly or bus to your Mexican destination and buy a car with plates from that Mexican state. Then, drive it north if you need to pick up stuff; which you might have left in storage in Laredo, for example.

If you have to get your visa in order first, rent a car while doing that, or use the buses.

Having a foreign plated car in Mexico is being made more and more difficult, and after 4 years as a resident, unlawful.

suggesting or recommending a service or product is quite different than someone continually advertising their service, with price, results, and all the marketing gimmicks that go with it.

If Sonia isn't advertising, then there isn't any such creature.

There are probably half dozen or more local facilitators in the Lake Chapala area that would like to run free ads, but don't think they would be allowed.

My posting is to say to those who are being told you have to drive to the border, you do not if you prefer not to do so. Check with others offering similar options and see what works for you. Or buy RV Gringos car and trade for yours. I know he maintains his car well.

Anyone concerned about me advertising or my integrity and has questions please write me privately. Or ask Spencer or the 4 who nationalized their cars and soon a motorcycle from lakeside. Today will be car 109 for nationalizing. My record speaks for itself. 2,800,000 pesos and not one person lost their payment.

SONIANGEL32@hotmail.com or happy to call you.

I will not get into a personal discussion on here.

I look forward to your emails.

Saludos

Sonia

Well,then you have two weeks according to Sonia to start the process,since you have so much confidence in her I suggest that you start the process ASAP, please do let us know how it goes.

It is hard to fathom why Sonia's service bothers you so much.

She has two weeks on this amparo.

By the time I am ready to nationalize she might have another and if not, I will drive to the border.

suggesting or recommending a service or product is quite different than someone continually advertising their service, with price, results, and all the marketing gimmicks that go with it.

If Sonia isn't advertising, then there isn't any such creature.

There are probably half dozen or more local facilitators in the Lake Chapala area that would like to run free ads, but don't think they would be allowed.

I did not read an advertisement. She said the charge at the border was high and stated what she charges in the high and low range.

That does not preclude other facilitators from charging even less than Sonia but it does tell people to shop around.

We have a local lawyer who states what he charges on this site and people are free to compare his charges to what others charge for the same services. I don't think that is free advertising but it is a heads up.

Oh my, free advertising and what is it?.....

Well, since it isn't, maybe the manager at Soriana will post his prices so I don't have to drive all the way over there. and can just go straight to Walmart.

Or a bigger ticket item, since so many expats fly in and out, is to allow your favorite airline to post prices.....

not to advertise of course, but just a "heads up".

BTW....should the other facilitators be allowed to post their fees, high and low range, and then the rest of us can just excuse ourselves while they duke it out.

This might be better posted in the learning Spanish forum but I'll ask the question here,can any of you Spanish speakers familiar with Mexican culture tell us why facilitators are often referred to here as coyotes?

Archived