Chapala.com Webboard

German Shepherd wanted!

Talked with a friend during lunch today who explained she was trying to help a lady find a German Shepherd. Seems her friend has recently lost her spouse and would like the added security and companionship of a large dog. She said she tried Pepe's but no luck.

Anyone know of a German Shepherd in need of adoption? If so, please post it here or send me a P.M.

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

Valerie :)

Your friend would be protected and watched over by any breed dog who loves her. My Lucky Dog is medium size (about 20 kilos) and pure bred Mexican Street Dog. She is an amazing watch dog, alert and protective of our property. She is also a loving companion. I could not ask for a better dog for me. There are several large dogs at Lucky Dog who are socialized and have been taught basic commands. I hope your friend will check them out.

Talked with a friend during lunch today who explained she was trying to help a lady find a German Shepherd. Seems her friend has recently lost her spouse and would like the added security and companionship of a large dog. She said she tried Pepe's but no luck.

Anyone know of a German Shepherd in need of adoption? If so, please post it here or send me a P.M.

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

Val...if your friend needs a ride out to Lucky Dog to take a look, either Carl or I would be happy to take her out there. A number of dogs there could be just what she is looking for. There is a big black girl named Ebony, although not a Shepard many Mexicans are afraid of big black dogs!

Tell her to come to adoption day tomorrow and meet Canela, a Shepherd Husky mix. Big enough to be intimidating but sweet enough to be a good canine companion.

Also please tell her to take a look at the photos of the eighty or so dogs currently at The Ranch. Most are medium to large and would make great watch dogs. http://www.lakesidespayandneutercenter.com/ranchdogs.html

ADD: I forgot about the two Shepherd mixes, and their photos aren't on the Website yet.

Natasha, thanks for chiming in as I am a "friend of the friend" and only knew she wanted a German Shepherd. It'll be wonderful if we can help her find a companion and at the same time save a dog.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas. Natasha, since you know her, would you please pass along these wonderful suggestions?

Many thanks to all!

Canela, the Shepherd Husky mix, was one of Diane's dogs. She is housebroken and lived with several cats. She will be at Adoption Day tomorrow in front of the PetCare store.

Just a note. ANY rescue dog can take a bit of Housebreaking 101 for the first few days. Just about every rescue and foster I have had needed a little reminder course.

In defense of purebred dogs.................good purebred breeders dedicate their time, their life and their money to ensuring their pups are healthy both mentally and physically. Crossbreds are unpredictable in many ways, including health and inherited diseases. Purebreds are tested for health issues known to affect the breed. Crossing breeds is a genetic lottery.

For ions man has developed breeds of dogs with desired characteristics and instincts. To jump on a bandwagon proclaiming crossbreds can do what purebreds can do is simply not correct. To say 'your friend would be protected by any mutt who loved her' is simply absurd. Case in point. My friends have a mixed breed that I'm sure most here would call a German Shepherd. When thieves broke into their home the dog did absolutely nothing to prevent the assault except maybe hide in the corner.

So, anyone know where this lady can find a German Shepherd of quality?

Purebred dogs? What a bunch of hooey!

These days, unless you pay mega-bucks, a "quality" dog is likely overbred and prone to genetic problems. Right now I have a German Shepherd (of quality) who has aged out early, has had a stroke, and is starting to be dangerous. My shepherd mix is a ball of fire and has overcome a host of diseases and afflictions that she had when I rescued her as a puppy. A friend has 8 purebred dogs with impeccable breeding. She spends more time at the vet than any of us.

The lady in question already has a shepherd mix, on the smallish side, who is a lovely dog. She is looking for a companion. Her yard is small, so she does not need a huge dog.

Well said, Gwynne.

At our age we don't need purebreds, just someone to "protect" us by barking warning signals. I have a medium Ranch dog,mixed breed who outdoes the purebred dog . He hears and reacts to noises and doesn't stop until the situation is resolved. Then it's time for affection.

I suggest the lady in question start by looking at Diane Spiehler's dogs who will be at the Adoption Day in front of Pet Care in Riberas today. They have the advantage of having lived in a home, they are free, have had their shots and would love a new family.

It’s not a bunch of hooey Gwynne. It is obviously an opinion which differs from yours. We all have the right to make our own choices without having others try and dictate what path we should follow. I think it very narcissistic for a person to try and impose their will/beliefs on others. Getting one for a loving companion is one thing but if someone wants a dog for a specific purpose that’s another. Both make great companions if treated right. The OP asked for a German Shepherd – is that too difficult to grasp?

Yes, Gwynne, it is wrong to call an opinion different from yours "a bunch of hooey." Now, if you read el bartman´s previous post you will see that saying an opinion different from yours is "simply absurd" is acceptable. I hope I have cleared that up for you.

Hey good one Xena. I do however believe there is a difference between opinion (a bunch of hooey) and fact (all dogs will NOT protect).

A fact is a statement that can be proven by direct experience or objective verification that can easily be checked for accuracy. An opinion is a statement of belief or judgment that cannot be objectively proven.. Opinions usually express the feelings, preferences or biases that a person has about a subject.

I hope I have cleared that up for you.

I guess I should have said "horse hookey".

I've been trying to talk the lady in question into considering a pit bull. I'm sold on them since Rozee came to live with us. She's undersized and the sweetest dog in the world. However, when strangers come to the gate, the German Shepherd makes them think twice about ringing the bell. And then Rozee appears and removes all doubt. I've seen them run all the way to the carretera and look back to see if she was following.

Has anybody seen the PBS documentary on 'purebred dogs'? Very sad- a few humans decide to alter the genetics to make a 'better' breed of dog.

This lady can decide for herself what kind and type of dog she wants- mix or purebred.

One of Diane's dogs might be great for her.

I have several dogs...all good watch dogs...but if anyone touches the mama...my Pom and the Llasa will eat them.... if someone touches the sacred truck....the Llasa will change their mind...quickly! LOL!! Anyone looking in the window of my truck will only see a whole lot of teeth. Who knows if it actually came down how many of the others would join in. You just never know. Those two have already made their intentions perfectly clear.

The two dogs at the ranch that I thought were German Shepherd mixes look very similar to this pic. They are brindle colored. Sorry, not an expert on pure breds, mixed breeds or plain old street dogs, but these dogs may be pure bred. They were owned by a trainer who had trained them for search and rescue. But just to be very clear, this is not a pic of one of the dogs. They are recent additions to the ranch and I haven't taken their photos yet.

jjnxo5.jpg

Also, we have one other large female with german shepard like markings, but she is definitely not a purebred. Her bark can be intimidating, but she is a sweetheart. Would be a good dog to discourage intruders. If interested, I could send a pic.

Archived