Chapala.com Webboard

Best friend killed by Prius

Unnecessary.

Sorry, but I disagree. We learned the same hard way many years ago in the "north" when our wonderful girl, off leash, veered unexpectedly in front of an on-coming car. She was not killed, but so damaged euthanasia was the only humane option.

Responsible dog owners know that a loose dog should never be close to a highway, busy street, or in this case the carretera. You might think they are under control, but unexpected circumstances can happen in a flash to change that.

I am TRULY sorry for your loss, and feel your pain. But I think you have to point at least a little of the blame for this tragedy in your own direction, Niki, and I hope it has taught you the same valuable, albeit it excrutiatingly painful lesson it taught us all those years ago.

May Jack run and play happily forever on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge!

Sorry, but I disagree. We learned the same hard way many years ago in the "north" when our wonderful girl, off leash, veered unexpectedly in front of an on-coming car. She was not killed, but so damaged euthanasia was the only humane option.

Responsible dog owners know that a loose dog should never be close to a highway, busy street, or in this case the carretera. You might think they are under control, but unexpected circumstances can happen in a flash to change that.

I am TRULY sorry for your loss, and feel your pain. But I think you have to point at least a little of the blame for this tragedy in your own direction, Niki, and I hope it has taught you the same valuable, albeit it excrutiatingly painful lesson it taught us all those years ago.

May Jack run and play happily forever on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge!

My thoughts exactly. This should be a teachable moment...

It is a simple but harsh lesson; use a leash for your dog near any road. Without a dog leash, fault lies with the owner not someone driving the roads. Carry on the witch hunt on Prius drivers if you wish, but the blame for this tragedy should be on the owner of the dog, not the driver. The dog could have caused multiple human fatalities. No I am not a Prius or gym owner...

I am sorry that this happened and know the sadness you are feeling. I really do not think that this is the appropriate time for some to start preaching about lesson learning. Things happen in this life that we do not expect to happen, but they do. We are ALL guilty of spur of the moment happenings. Why don't you start your own thread to remind people to keep their dogs on a leash, but as Mtn Mama says the dog jumped the wall.

Again, Niki I am sorry you lost your dear pet.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Niki -- my heart goes out to you and Jackers -- I remember when you were training him at one of the Adelita's Breakfast Club Thursdays -- such a magnificent animal.

As far as the owner of the Prius, there is something called KARMA and he/she will run into that Universal Phenomenon one day and it will not be pleasant.

How dare people who could slow down (it seems from your telling of the incident) hit an animal, stop 75 feet further down and drive off...this kind of cruelty needs to be stopped....

Maybe consider yourself lucky he didn't back up. Some drivers would have started screaming that you needed to pay for the damage to his car. Other crazies have guns and might have used them. Let it go, at least nothing happened to you.

Sorry for your loss.

Thank you for your opinion, pappysmarket. You are so right! You need to decide when to take a stand and when to keep your mouth shut. Some of these posts touch my heart. Some of them carry valuable wisdom. Some of you are wise and some less so. Some give their opinion and remove all doubt. Have a lovely evening.

• 2 weeks later...

Everybody who knew Hackers has been so hurt by his death. He was almost human. I still picture him looking into my eyes anticipating my next words to him, ready to respond without a moment's hesitation. Meesha is recovering faster than I am. I hope that Zorro de Ribera grows to be another Hackers.

Archived