Chapala.com Webboard

Best friend killed by Prius

It happened Monday morning outside Mirasol. The light colored late model Prius didn't even slow down when my boy ran across the road. He or she had plenty of time to avoid hitting him. Jack hadn't run with me for several weeks because my other Malinois was in heat. He was so exited to run with me that he jumped the wall to run to the cyclopista where we did our morning "trike run". The driver stopped about 75 feet after hitting him. I ran across the Carreterra screaming "help me". He just drove away. I carried all 58 pounds back to my car alone. The man came out of the gym and I begged him to help me; but he also refused. This is the tribute I sent to my friends. I hope that the gym guy and driver read it. Shame on them both!

Jackers is what my dear friend Kelly called him. Doctor Connie said upon learning of his untimely death that "he lived and breathed for my every word". If anybody told him to do something he would look to me for permission. So many of my family of friends cried on the news of his passing. He had the most amazing focus on me. The FB picture I posted is of Jackers doing "down on recall" in a show at Chapala Country Club. The crowd loved him. He was such a showman.

Last night Meesha slept along side me with her head in front of my face. She hasn't done that since Jack arrived and claimed that spot. Only he would lay with his face against mine.
He had the most extreme ball drive I've seen. The twist we put on this game was that I would tell him "leave it" as I threw it. He would sit there, look at me and wait for his release words in English or Spanish. I could get caught up in a conversation, forgetting my job, and he would get so excited that he could not contain himself waiting for the words "get it".
When I rescued him last November the doctor said that if I hadn't brought him for treatment when I did he would have been dead in a day. He soon became king of the castle. He would run up and down the 20 steps to my bedroom like a bullet. He was full of life, love and enthusiasm, often pushing his way in front of Meesha for attention. I so hope there is another like him out there for us to rescue each other.
Jack's mom,
Niki

This was so painful to read and to know it was truth and not fiction. So deeply sorry for your tragedy and loss. I'm further disturbed by the driver nor the Gym owner lending a hand when you must have been absolutely devastated. I always want to see the best in people and it's terribly sad and upsetting when I realize that not everyone has the ability for kindness and compassion.

Thinking of you and hoping you can find some peace while coping with the loss of your best friend.

Sending a Cyber hug,

Valerie

Jackers communicated so well with his eyes. He would look back and forth between me and what he wanted until I obliged him. Everybody wanted a kiss from Jack. He understood the word so well that I would say it and he would gladly do it. As an old friend said, "The Rainbow Bridge" is going to have gridlock when we pass.

My heart goes out to you. My "little girl" was murdered by a German Shepard before I could get to her. In her own yard. I had flash backs and crying jags for months. Losing them is like losing a part of yourself Losing them violently is horrifying. You will never find another like him...they're all so different, but he'll always be a part of you even after you find another.... different love to fill the hole in your heart.

TRIBUTE TO A BEST FRIEND

Sunlight streams through window pane onto a spot on the floor.....

then I remember,

it's where you used to lie, but now you are no more.

Our feet walk down a hall of carpet, and muted echoes sound.....

then I remember,

it's where your paws would joyously abound.

A voice is heard along the road, and up beyond the hill,

then I remember,

it can't be yours..... your golden voice is still.

But I'll take that vacant spot of floor and empty muted hall,

and lay them with the absent voice and unused dish along the wall.

I'll wrap these treasured memories in a blanket of my love,

and keep them for my best friend until we meet above.

~Author Unknown

It sounds like Jack was a very lucky dog to have been rescued by you. It is always so painful to loose a good friend and I am appalled by the lack of concern by the driver and gym guy. I hope that in time you will be consoled by the fact that you did your very best with him and the special bond was obviously reciprocal.

I'm very sorry, Niki. Jack was very fortunate to have you for the best part of his life - after he was rescued. Someday there will be less sadness and tears, replaced with memories and smiles.

Blessings.

Bunker's (RIP), Camila's, and Lola's mom

I think the lesson to be learned is that no matter how well we have trained the dog, sometimes there will be a drive that is stronger than we are. A prey drive - did you see that squirrel go over that wall?, a dog in heat drive for an intact animal, for a herding dog it can be a flock of sheep, for a site-hound it's a fast moving object... And at that point sometimes we must rely on the goodness of strangers. I am so sorry for you that the person turned out to be a rotten human being.

Archived