Chapala.com Webboard

Traveling to USA with TelCel Phone

mexbound

I will soon be traveling to the USA with a Telcel Phone. I understand about roaming and rates, but my question is what number format would people in the USA call my cell. I'm trying to let them know ahead of time how to contact me.

So if my Telcel number here in Mexico is 333-xxx-zzzz and I'm traveling in the US, how would people contact me? 011-52-1-333-xxx-zzzz? or other?

Also while I am there roaming and I want to call a person in the same area code I will be in (206), would I just dial 206-aaa-bbbb to contact them?

I'll just be roaming. My phone is an iPhone (GSM). I know it works and it is expensive to roam but I was just wondering about the format to call numbers up there when roaming and what number format do people up there contact me.

I know ATT is GSM and I'll be in an ATT area.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are to be there long enough, consider getting a T-Mobile pay as you go plan. $60 per month. Just replace the TelCel sim card with the T-Mobile card.

If you are to be there long enough, consider getting a T-Mobile pay as you go plan. $60 per month. Just replace the TelCel sim card with the T-Mobile card.

in order to do that Tom, the phone must be unlocked.

If the phone has a provider's name or logo on it it was locked when sold. Doesn't mean someone didn't unlocked it meanwhile. Unlocking I found was much cheaper in the states than it was in the baja. 600P was the cheapest fee I was quoted. The phone wasn't worth that much. You can find cell phones, good ones for their time, on craigslist for peanuts, unlocking is listed too.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of us travelling NOB would not incur $60 - $100 US of phone charges on our Telcel phone! Just take your phone with you and use it normally. We put $500 Pesos on our Amiga phones and go. If we need more we ask a friend to go to an OXXO and add $Pesos for us. If you're going to be NOB for a month and use your phone a lot then getting a disposible or a chip from one of the US cellphone companies makes sense. For a few days just use your MX phone.

Most of us travelling NOB would not incur $60 - $100 US of phone charges on our Telcel phone! Just take your phone with you and use it normally. We put $500 Pesos on our Amiga phones and go. If we need more we ask a friend to go to an OXXO and add $Pesos for us. If you're going to be NOB for a month and use your phone a lot then getting a disposible or a chip from one of the US cellphone companies makes sense. For a few days just use your MX phone.

You can add $MX to your Telcel phone by using Babblebug website from anywhere NOB. I have done this many times and the credit is instant and you will receive a confirmation text from Telcel

I may be the odd one out, but I last time I was in US, my Telcel phone which is on a plan, never connected me to husband still in Mexico. Tried three times, no connection. My bill for those tries was 780 pesos in roaming fees. Wrote to TelMex and they removed the charges. Used Skype and had wonderful, free face-to-face calls throughout the trip.

Carol

• 1 year later...

Can anyone help?  We bought the Telcel 199 peso plan and are in the states but our phones are not working.   When we try to call we get one of two messages,  "not registered on network" or network unavailable.  When we arrived at the airport it worked once but not some then.  

What are we doing wrong? 

8 hours ago, nothernewbie said:

Can anyone help?  We bought the Telcel 199 peso plan and are in the states but our phones are not working.   When we try to call we get one of two messages,  "not registered on network" or network unavailable.  When we arrived at the airport it worked once but not some then.  

What are we doing wrong? 

Are you dialing 001 first to call a US number? Try that, if that doesn't work then try dialing the US area code first. I always struggle when I first get there. Good luck

On 9/29/2014 at 2:35 PM, rogerm said:

How do you get a pay as you go with a data plan? Thought all smart phones had to have one to work??

No, you can use a smart phone as just a phone just fine without a data plan. You can make calls and text. Photos do not send without a data plan however.

To get Telcel phones in the US to go to the AT&T service you have to go into setting on the Telephone settings section and change setting of "Red" from Telcel only to search for "Red" and AT&T will show up and select that. Or select "Automatic" and it will search for a local carrier.

Archived