Chapala.com Webboard

nationalizing korean cars

mexicoblue

I've been told I can now nationalize my 2004 K car (Kia Optima) for 28,000 pesos. It's the first I've heard of this. Does anyone else have information? Has anyone else tried it? Is this just a short window that's open? Would appreciate any "knowledgeable" feedback. Not interested in hearsay. Thanks.

Where was it actually built? If it was built in Korea, it is not a NAFTA car.

However, if it was built in the Kia Plant in La Grange, Georgia, you may nationalize it as a NAFTA car, built in the USA.

Check the VIN to see if it starts with “1“.

Sorry -- I didn't know about the correct section. Answers: The VIn number begins with a K. The quote for $28,000 pesos I got was from:

Gary Keeler

garykeeler@prodigy.net.mx

765-5149 home

Has anyone done business with him before? He is doing this for a friend with a 25-year old chevy truck. My friend says he doesn't have to leave his house to go to Guad or the border -- Gary will do everything for him. It's a lot of money to hand over unless I know this is actually legally doable. There are so many differing stories going around. Spencer????

It appears that the car was built in Korea and is, therefore, not a NAFTA car and probably not eligible for nationalization. Nor is my Japanese car with a VIN starting with J.

If there is some guaranteed method that he knows about, a lot of folks would like to know; but maybe not at that price. Ask him for details & post them.

Sorry -- I didn't know about the correct section. Answers: The VIn number begins with a K. The quote for $28,000 pesos I got was from:

Gary Keeler

garykeeler@prodigy.net.mx

765-5149 home

Has anyone done business with him before? He is doing this for a friend with a 25-year old chevy truck. My friend says he doesn't have to leave his house to go to Guad or the border -- Gary will do everything for him. It's a lot of money to hand over unless I know this is actually legally doable. There are so many differing stories going around. Spencer????

I am also curious as to whether Gary Keeler can nationalize cars without taking them to the border. I know his name was given on another group awhile ago as someone who could nationalize cars without taking them to the border. The person who posted that information also stated that he could nationalize J cars.

Why is it always second or third hand information, and never a report of success by a client or a comment by principal?

Because in Mexico it is not what you know, or think you know, it's WHO you know. If the champion striker for a Mexico City Futball club wants to import a 1973 Ferrari Dino - you can bet that is going to happen overnight. If you do find a genuine fixer the last thing in the world you are going to do is to share that name with strangers. It is this way in more countries than just Mexico - it is the way of the world, always has been.

Because in Mexico it is not what you know, or think you know, it's WHO you know. If the champion striker for a Mexico City Futball club wants to import a 1973 Ferrari Dino - you can bet that is going to happen overnight. If you do find a genuine fixer the last thing in the world you are going to do is to share that name with strangers. It is this way in more countries than just Mexico - it is the way of the world, always has been.

So what you are suggesting is that Gary may be someone who knows a "Fixer" and maybe part of the fee is for the "Fixer".

I don't get it? You are thinking of spending $2500US to hopefully nationalize a "K" car and another several hundred to register and tag a car that is 10+ years old and is not worth $2500 retail. Hope it all works out..please let us know how it all turns out..

I don't get it? You are thinking of spending $2500US to hopefully nationalize a "K" car and another several hundred to register and tag a car that is 10+ years old and is not worth $2500 retail. Hope it all works out..please let us know how it all turns out..

I think what you really meant is, "Why don't you buy a car in Mexico that is already Mexican plated?"

I am posting this for Gary Keeler, as he doesn't read the web boards, in order to clear up some questions people had:

SEPTEMBER 2, 2014

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

Hi, my name is Gary Keeler and I am the guy Nationalizing cars at the Guadalajara Airport Aduana Offices. Currently, I am the only one authorized to work with the Aduana Agent in order to get your car plated.

Why am I the only one? There are several reasons (1) I speak fluent Spanish (2) I have been working with this agent for one year and have brought them a lot of business. (3) The security at the Aduana complex was increased and strict rules were put into place to restrict access. (4) Management felt the agent I deal with was being overwhelmed with people showing up unexpectedly. So I was asked if I would be the sole source. I have to make appointments to present applications.

I have completed - that is, provided official Jalisco receipts, pedimentos , stickers, and plates for about 30 cars and I have zero complaints (Except for the process taking longer than we originally projected but after all, we are in Mexico). I put the stickers on your windows and get down on my hands and

knees to install the plates.

Do I get paid? Yes, I make a commission on each car. The entire process is expensive, but I do not set the fees. I paid $33,000 pesos to have mine done.

I have received referrals from those I have helped and “word of mouth”. I have never advertized although, some friends have put my name out there. Most recently, I been receiving referrals from some companies. I am working with Olivia at Parker Insurance. (I have been with them for 11 years

and they are the best – cost and service.) I also work with Beatriz de la Garza in Guadalajara. She does immigration papers, translation, tours of Guadalajara and the Area, etc. Perfect English. (Visit www.retiringinmex.com.)

Some ask “Is it legal?” All I know is I get the same papers as you would get going to the border plus the plates, all for one fee.

If you have questions or want to get started please call or write.

Gary Keeler

376-765-5149 or cell 331-735-3881

garykeeler at prodigy.net.mx

Can Gary Keeler nationalize J cars?

Not speaking for Mr. Keeler, but..... no one can Nationalize "J" cars now. There were some being done for a short time using a court process but that has come and gone. Maybe again but nothing going on now.

I am posting this for Gary Keeler, as he doesn't read the web boards, in order to clear up some questions people had:

SEPTEMBER 2, 2014

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

Hi, my name is Gary Keeler and I am the guy Nationalizing cars at the Guadalajara Airport Aduana Offices. Currently, I am the only one authorized to work with the Aduana Agent in order to get your car plated.

Some ask “Is it legal?” All I know is I get the same papers as you would get going to the border plus the plates, all for one fee.

If you have questions or want to get started please call or write.

Gary Keeler

376-765-5149 or cell 331-735-3881

garykeeler at prodigy.net.mx

I still would like to hear the answer "yes" to the question: Is it legal?

Legal? That is open to interpretation. I have heard of people doing it via amparos and other methods but they seem to change every few months. It is hard to tell what method the end broker is using as they all do it at the border. I do not think anybody does it at the airport except hands papers to a broker there who sends the papers to the border.

Once again - the lady lawyer at the airport, who works every day with customs laws, clearing major volumes of imported products, through their company's own bonded warehouse (a virtual border), wrote to me that there is a difference between nationalization and regularization. This is one of the people that Gary Keeler works with. A "J" car, or a "K" car can be regularized at the airport. Regularization seems a little more expensive than nationalization.

A recent investigation by the Secretary of the Finance Committee uncovered that 9 of the 15 major import houses have direct links to senior aduana (S.A.T.) officials on the borders regarding car imports. I would be wary right now of clearing anything using the border - arrests may be pending. Or - maybe nothing at all, maybe new people to pay off, out with the old. Mexico is tied with a few countries at 106, out of 177 countries, 177 being the most corrupt in the world.

http://cpi.transparency.org/cpi2013/

Once again - the lady lawyer at the airport, who works every day with customs laws, clearing major volumes of imported products, through their company's own bonded warehouse (a virtual border), wrote to me that there is a difference between nationalization and regularization. This is one of the people that Gary Keeler works with. A "J" car, or a "K" car can be regularized at the airport. Regularization seems a little more expensive than nationalization.

What is the difference between nationalization and regularization? Do they both achieve the same result in the end, i.e. a car legalized to be licensed in Mexico? I very curious as I am strongly considering having Gary Keeler nationalize mine very soon but I want to be sure it is all of the up and up. Gary himself used the word "nationalize" in the letter he wrote explaining his service, which was posted here by Yo 1: "my name is Gary Keeler and I am the guy Nationalizing cars at the Guadalajara Airport Aduana Offices."

I would also like to hear from anybody who has nationalized their car through Gary.

Archived