Chapala.com Webboard

Dearth of light bulbs

Has anyone else noticed a lack of 75W anbd 100W standard light bulbs lately in our local stores? Always harder to find frosted bulbs, but now I can't seem to find anything more than 60W. There are still some places I need bright lights (work room). Please, no lectures on energy... I have plenty of reduced-wattage bulbs installed.

Understood. Obviously. However, does this apply in Mexico? And when they provide alternatives at reasonable prices, no one will have a problem, least of all me.

Meantime, in the U.S.: "There is no such thing as an incandescent light bulb ban in the United States. In fact, on the very same day that the 60-watt incandescent light bulb disappears, you’ll be able to buy a 43-watt incandescent light bulb to take its place. Or a 72-watt incandescent bulb. Or a 150-watt incandescent bulb. Or a three-way incandescent light bulb. Or one with a more durable filament for "rough service" applications. There are literally dozens of loopholes. "It's not like tomorrow people won't be able to buy an incandescent light bulb," says GE’s John Strainic. http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/1/5263826/the-incandescent-light-bulb-isnt-dead

LED bulbs are full brightness when you turn them unlike CFB which have to warm up a little. LED are good for stairs for example.

LED bulbs have no mercury in them unlike CFB

LED bulbs give 6 watts of light for every watt of electricity used . CFB are 4.

LED bulbs are available in Soft white format now 2700 degrees Kelvin.

LED bulbs last forever (virtually) and tolerate voltage fluctuation better than CFB.

In US home depot. Cree brand bulbs are available in 40/60/75 and 100watt for 4/6/8 and 15 USD per bulb.

Also three way bulbs are available for about 20 bucks US. They come in Warm/Calida and a more white Cool/Blanco.

You are allowed to bring back 500 USD worth of stuff these days on an airplane. Still 300 USD for ground travel. Been

using these bulbs for six months with no problems. I put each bulb in a sock and wrap the sock in a tshirt and got them

back with no problems. Mexican bulbs are still more expensive and don't go warmer than 3000k with a few exceptions.

If you pay an electric bill it is worth bringing back bulbs from US and they work fine with the voltage down here. Very quick

payback for these bulbs in Mexico especially if you are close to DAC with your CFE bill.

LED bulbs are perfected and ready to save energy.

Archived