Chapala.com Webboard

Safety of Driving Autopista 15D to Valle de Bravo?

pedro malo

• If you re-read my post about my own life in Mexico City, it seems impossible to garner from what I wrote that things are 'getting worse' in Mexico City. Things are not getting worse here: Mexico City continues to be one of the safest places in the country.
  • o

I messed up the quote function but here's my comment and question for More Liana.

Mexico City until fairly recently was considered one of the least safe places in the country.It's remarkable and encouraging to see how much it's improved.Many capitalinos give a lot of credit to Marcelo Ebrard's administration for having had a very positive impact on that and other quality of life issues,do you agree with their assessment or do you share Jim Bowie's wife's apparently low opinion of him?

A sincere look at reality in Mexico. Thank you, ML !

If you have the desire to live in Mexico, you can learn to adjust (as the Mexicans do) your lifestyle and habits, and can live a good life here, with relative secure surroundings.. The more you have your eyes "open", the easier it is to make your adjustments, IMHO. I think pedro malo is one that could live "happily" in Mexico. Common sense will take a person a long way here. Good luck.

Thank you for your vote of confidence Jim! It is my plan to do so even though I experience my doubts and by the way, I too am married to a Mexican national which has reduced my ability to just "bail" when the going gets tough. And like you, being married to a Mexican has given me a perspective on the situation here that I don't think I would have had otherwise. Facing Templarios a couple years back when visiting my wife's Rancho was one I would rather not have had but no harm came of it other than experiencing real fear for the first time in my life.

More Liana, thanks for your honest appraisal of the situation and also giving me more insight on how much real involvement and profit the government exercises and benefits from in this " narco war".

• If you re-read my post about my own life in Mexico City, it seems impossible to garner from what I wrote that things are 'getting worse' in Mexico City. Things are not getting worse here: Mexico City continues to be one of the safest places in the country.
  • o

I messed up the quote function but here's my comment and question for More Liana.

Mexico City until fairly recently was considered one of the least safe places in the country.It's remarkable and encouraging to see how much it's improved.Many capitalinos give a lot of credit to Marcelo Ebrard's administration for having had a very positive impact on that and other quality of life issues,do you agree with their assessment or do you share Jim Bowie's wife's apparently low opinion of him?

The person who began the major improvements in Mexico City was Andrés Manuel López Obrador. He's the one who started opening new Metro lines, who initiated the Metrobús, and who made big strides forward in cleaning up our air quality, among his many other accomplishments. Marcelo Ebrard, who became head of government when López Obrador stepped down to make his first run for the presidency, continued AMLO's marvelous betterment of the city. The city is 180º different from 1982, the time when I first lived here. Astonishing improvements!

In other words,in answer to my question,you don't agree with Jim Bowie's wife's comments and opinions regarding Marcelo Ebrard.

IMO,Ebrard would have been a much better candidate than AMLO,less polemic,divisive,egocentric,etc.

Given your acknowdgement of the "astonishing improvements" in the country's largest city,in a relatively short time, why do you paint such a dismal pessamistic picture of the country's future?

That question came from my wife. I bet Fox set those police up just to get to Marcelo. My Mexican wife tells me to remind you that maybe Marcelo may not be available to run for President because of what he created with the Metro. She and her brother think that is !funny.

Jim,I'm curious,which,if any,candidate in the last presidential election did your wife vote for?

The person who began the major improvements in Mexico City was Andrés Manuel López Obrador. He's the one who started opening new Metro lines, who initiated the Metrobús, and who made big strides forward in cleaning up our air quality, among his many other accomplishments. Marcelo Ebrard, who became head of government when López Obrador stepped down to make his first run for the presidency, continued AMLO's marvelous betterment of the city. The city is 180º different from 1982, the time when I first lived here. Astonishing improvements!

I followed those improvements in D.F. and was very excited by AMLO's bid for the presidency but there again, another positive potential for Mexico's future, unjustly sabotaged. I often wonder how he would have handled and where we'd be at today in regard to the narco issue, had he won. Guess we'll never know.

In other words,in answer to my question,you don't agree with Jim Bowie's wife's comments and opinions regarding Marcelo Ebrard.

IMO,Ebrard would have been a much better candidate than AMLO,less polemic,divisive,egocentric,etc.

Given your acknowdgement of the "astonishing improvements" in the country's largest city,in a relatively short time, why do you paint such a dismal pessamistic picture of the country's future?

Marcelo Ebrard decided not to run in 2011-12 because he thought his chances would be better in the 2018 election.

For an answer to your question, go back and re-read everything I have posted to this thread. Mexico City is not the rest of the country; some problems here are similar to those in other states, but the majority are not similar at all.

"Anabel Hernández, author

of "Los Señores del Narco,"

outlines her conspiracy theories

at SDSU

"Los Señores del Narco" author Anabel Hernández said Thursday night at San Diego State University that the Mexican military studies narcocorridos to learn more about drug traffickers.

She said the ballads offer up about 80% fact and 20% fantasy.

That also may be about what she offers up with her work, which is full of conspiracy theories. On Thursday night, in a speech sponsored by the SDSU chapter of MECHA, she claimed that Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán had paid President Vicente Fox $20 million to allow Guzmán to escape from prison in 2001; that the CIA had DEA agent Enrique Camarena killed in 1985; and that President Carlos Salinas' government had Cardinal Juan Jesús Posadas Ocampo killed at the Guadalajara airport in 1993 and then invented a cover story that the Catholic prelate was killed in a crossfire between the Arellano Félix and Guzmán drug-trafficking organizations.

In photo, Danny Morales of Riverside, who also works with the Desert Angels, poses with Hernández at SDSU."

http://mexicoperspective.com/2011-november-files.html

Notice Conspiracy Theorist Anabel Hernandez has a large following but in reality tells stories not usually related to facts just partial truths expanded into full blown conspiracies and then presented as "reality" or "the truth." It seems there is a lot of this going around. IMO

cbviajero, I can give you other 'broad generalities' about my own life in Mexico--generalities you will probably agree with. After nearly 35 years in this country, I live in a beautiful neighborhood of Mexico City, have excellent, educated, cultured friends in our building and our neighborhood and other neighborhoods in the city, am honored to have many, many other wonderful friends--from the most humble to the internationally famous--all over this country, have traveled, cooked, and eaten in 28 of Mexico's states plus the Distrito Federal, have been spoiled and treated like a queen by groups and organizations all over those states, have gone where few non-native Mexicans have gone, and believe that my life is one of extraordinary privilege, both in my friendships and in my work. I feel secure in my friendships, secure in my home, and secure in my travels.

And still, I have lived the other side of the coin and unfortunately know what I am talking about in that regard. Obviously YMMV.

Have you really lived 35 years in Mexico? Impressive.

Weren't you living in Tijuana in the early 80s?

Yes, why? I lived in Mexico City for a while in 1982--in Colonia Roma, in a house on Calle Córdoba that was destroyed in the 1985 earthquake.

No real reason. I just seem to recall you having mentioned living and working in Tijuana in the early 80s. I believe that was before you moved to Chapala about 15 years ago.

More Liana, where did you reside in Mexico in the time between residing in Tijuana and when you moved to Chapala?

Is this leading somewhere, or is it just 20 questions? Reminds me of cbvajero.

Hud,I'm sorry if my inquisitive nature bothers you,but sometimes in order to ascertain the truth you need to ask questions.

It turns out that there is a big discrepancy in more liana's bio and her claim to have resided in this country for 35 years. She has stated on another board that she spent a couple of years in Mexico in the early 80s but returned to the US in 1983 where she resided until 1999 when she relocated to Mexico once again. So that means she has only lived in this country for roughly half of the time she claims. It's all about credibility.

Archived