Chapala.com Webboard

Travel Warning Updated Aug 15, 2014

Studio del Sol

I have been getting reports about nogales getting tough....hermosillo is increasing problems with the bad guys and also the federales are harrasing motorists.

at this point i have decided not to drive into mexico for a long time.

I suggest if your going to drive to only go when there is a big holiday so there are plenty of motorists with you on the highways

• 2 weeks later...

I've made the trip twice in the past 1 1/2 year. The only problems I had were within 20 miles of the border. I crossed at Los Indios and the first time, we were driving a Toyota Tundra with kayaks on top, pulling a 24 foot trailer. In other words, screaming "tourista". A large plume of thick, black smoke blew across the highway from a burning tire. (we later realized it was intentionally set for this reason.) Your natural impulse was to slow way down for the visibility. Three men came running out with their hands in their jacket pockets as if they were concealing pistols and emphatically demanding with their other hand to "stop right here." I laid on the horn and floored it. One really played chicken with us, stopping mere inches away from being a hood ornament.

We stopped a few miles down the road to look at the map. I never heard them stop, I looked up to see a slung M16 and a man dressed in black standing at my window. It was the police. I rolled down the window and said "Tampico". He urgently motioned for me to go saying "Mucho policia" I agreed there were mucho policia in Tampico, still he urged me to go, which I did. A convoy of police cars sped by going toward the smoke. I guess someone called them in.

This May, right after I crossed a man with a walkie talkie type radio and a badge hanging around his neck ran out and motioned for me to stop. He was wearing plain clothes so again, I just floored it. He acted like he was speaking into his radio but nothing happened. It turned out I was going the wrong way and had to turn back, but he wasn't there.

Other than that, it was smooth sailing. The border area is the only place I have ever had any problems. After suffering the horror of the Tampico bypass, this time (not pulling a trailer) I drove right through the middle of Tampico and Veracruz with no problems.

Archived