Chapala.com Webboard

Lovers of the hamburger-Best at Lake Chapala?

mhopkins2

Or........they make a great salad as a side, with unusually good dressing.

It's an outstanding burger made with good meat......the most important part of the burger.

That mac and cheese sure did NOT come from a box! Delicious, but very filling. I made the mistake of ordering as a main dish....once. The take home portion made a tasty component of the next meal.

I have never had their burgers because I always splurge on the baseball filet- the best in all the world!

I also have to agree on their mac n cheese- my grandson had it when we went there and couldn't eat it all so I had some and my eyes lit up- it was the best I have ever had and I am drooling just thinking about it now. They should at least call it gourmet mac n cheese. I think it was $35p.

maw

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a good burger at The Anchor today. The fries were from a bag and I would opt for another option next time. I can't argue with those would expressed a preference for grilled vs fried. Me too. It's going to take me awhile to try all the locations suggested so we can close this thread if desired. It does, however give others suggestions for restaurants they may have yet to try. When I find the one that hits MY bell, I'll post it here.

Thanks to everyone who gave their preferences and I will try them all.

Update. Had the burger at Bruno's (Bruno burger with lettuce, tomato and grilled onions). $65p plus I added cheddar cheese for $10p. This was a GREAT burger. Monday night features 3 or 4 special burgers. Sides of fries and mac n cheese too.

Tom, you and others on this board have referred to Bruno's "hamburger." When I ordered it, it came without the expected bun (part of my definition of a "hamburger.") I ate it w/o complaint and it was good. I just figured that this is how they serve their "hamburger." Was it just me who didn't get a bun (maybe they were out ;-) or do they just not serve it on a bun?

Bruno's lunch menu - served til 3pm I think - offers both a hamburger (best I've found in the area, bun included!) and ground sirloin with grilled onions on top.

I think their dinner menu only offers the ground sirloin with onions, except for Monday night burger specials, which I believe is a new thing.

Had another good hamburger, this time at El Serape. The good size sesame bun was toasted and the patty fit the bun. The fries were the fatter crinkle style I like. Worth a try.

Went to the WINE AND BEER place across from SuperLake. Surprise, surprise... no hamburgers, even though it says BURGERS on the sign. The have fish and shrimp burgers, so I got me a shrimpburger.

Although they were using a hand-written index card for a menu... everything was pleasantly presented and brought promptly. Ordered a shrimp tostada to start: four good-sized very fresh shrimp on a nice bed of pico de gallo, with a bowl of tostadas and crackers, and a spoon. So it was up to me to make the tostadas, which is fine. No sweet salsa ketchup, though... instead, three hot sauces. Shrimpburger came with medium-sized shrimp, and a lot of them (with some thinly sliced salty ham for extra flavour) on an open-faced bun with lettuce and tomatos already prepared to put on top with the other half of the bun. A small bowl of very mayonaissey slaw, probably for toppings as well. And a bowl of hot pickled peppers. Very tasty, as the shrimp were nicely cooked in a dandy sauce.

Since I hadn't paid much attention to the prices, I was expecting 65 for the shrimp burger, 35 for the tostados, and 15 for my Sprite. I was right about the drink, but the burger was 40 and the tostada 20. Now those are both good deals in my book anywhere, especially considering the decent serviings. I'll go back and try the fish burger, and will definitely have the shrimp again.

• 2 weeks later...

Chef David has added his burger to the menu. The burger is chopped filet mignon, not your typical hamburger of the trimmings run thru a grinder. It comes on bread from Peter's Panaderia plus lettuce and tomato and grilled onions grilled perfectly so that they are soft and delicious. This burger is accompanied with 2 side sauces for you and I doubt anyone would want to put either mayo or ketchup on this delicious combination. Oh yes the cost is 54 pesos.

Bobby Flay owns a burger joint chain, and while 80/20 is his recommendation for a basic burger (note that he adds nothing but salt and pepper), it is only one of his many offerings. He would never have made a success of that chain by serving just that burger. And chefs I know about experiment frequently with different cuts of meat. In particular, higher-quality cuts give you a completely different flavour than basic hamburger. And that's before the seasonings. Lower fat content is compensated for in different ways. I prefer a 50-50 mix of ground round and ground pork when grilling at home.

• 2 weeks later...

Gossip's! Ordered well done. Crispy exterior. Great clam chowder. "I will gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today." (Approximating Wimpy's favorite line.)

Had the buffalo burger at Maquina today and it was very good. Their fries are homemade with seasoned salt and were great. The hamburger bun was of the bakery style rather than commercial type so it was squishy but the bun taste was better than a regular bun. They also have several exotic meat burgers including red deer (which I will try next time) as well as ostrich. We were the only customers there for the entire lunch time. I'm afraid they will die if we don't support them. They need better signage. They are now open for breakfast and closed on Tuesdays.

Had the buffalo burger at Maquina today and it was very good. Their fries are homemade with seasoned salt and were great. The hamburger bun was of the bakery style rather than commercial type so it was squishy but the bun taste was better than a regular bun. They also have several exotic meat burgers including red deer (which I will try next time) as well as ostrich. We were the only customers there for the entire lunch time. I'm afraid they will die if we don't support them. They need better signage. They are now open for breakfast and closed on Tuesdays.

We live nearby and I have eaten here in the past. Currently in the frozen north but will be back down by the end of the month. I am delighted to hear the Maquina (which apparently means train engine in Spanish) is still open. I have always liked it, the people are very friendly and open, they try hard to do something different food wise, and the location is great for us. That said, I have never seen the place very busy and I was worried that they would be "gone" when we got down. It is a good place to sit and have a beer ( they did offer local micro brews last time I was in) and watch the world go by in the afternoon. The speciality burgers are worth a try. This place is at least a little different in a positive way and I would recommend it. Give it a go!

Archived