Chapala.com Webboard

Beware the new Dellagado/Caution about Travel Letters

gschultz

How do we know that it was a bribe and not a fine. Just because the second official the OP spoke with was able to get it waived does not meant it was a bribe. The OP did not have his documents properly process and there is a fine for not doing so.

Today, I went to Immigration with my agent, and she met alone with the new Delegado, a young man whose name I do not know, to plead my case. He told her I would have to pay 2,000 pesos to get my card (which he had) or he would terminate my temporal visa.

Later, I returned with an agent who spoke English so I could talk with him face to face. I told him I had done nothing wrong and that I would not pay a bribe. He did not mention money but said he would "discuss the situation with authorities" in Guadalajara and that I should return tomorrow. He was very kind and said he would try to help me. We'll see . . .

From reading the above, it seems to me that your "agent" is the one who was seeking the 2000p for themselves. Does not sound to me like the "very kind" person knew anything about it. If it were me, I would never trust this "agent" again. Good luck, and I really doubt there was any corruption here from the new guy.

I still believe the only 'mordida" here is for the agent, who spoke ":alone" and the new guy never was aware of it. Reread the OP.

The representative that went with me in July to pick up my travel letter does not speak English. She simply handed the travel letter to me without instructions, so I really didn't know what I was supposed to do or even that the letter would have to be presented later in order to get my temporal visa card. I presented the letter with my passport to Immigration when I left and when I returned. I watched the immigration officer scan the bar code on my letter and stamp my passport when I returned, so I knew Immigration had an electronic record of my traveling with a travel letter. That's why I said "I did nothing wrong." I presented the proper documents when I traveled. I just simply didn't know I needed to get the letter stamped and would "assume" (I know, never assume!) that if the letter was supposed to be stamped, the immigration officer would stamp it.

The representative who went with me initially to meet with the Delegado last week was the same non-English-speaking person, and I believe she had several client issues to discuss with the new Delegado. When she left his office, she asked me if I could drive her to her office so an associate could explain to me in English what had transpired. That's when I learned that the Delegado had said I must give him 2,000 pesos or he would cancel my temporal visa, even though it had been issued and was sitting on his desk. I told my representatives that I would not pay a bribe and that I would like to talk to the Delegado face to face. So the English-speaking representative returned with me so she could translate. The meeting was non-confrontational, but I was very firm in stating that I would not pay a bribe, and I believe he knew it and decided to cooperate, kindly. He speaks some English, but mostly the conversation was translated into Spanish.

While sitting in the Immigration lobby, I heard several people receiving instructions to pay fines for various reasons. Their instructions were to make a deposit at a bank and return with the receipt so the document processing could proceed. That was not the case with me; if it had been, I would have paid the fine according to proper procedures. However, I was being asked to pay money to an individual behind closed doors.

As far as my agent(s) go, who knows? I wasn't privy to the whole conversation, and I probably wouldn't have understood it if I had been. I have had a long, positive association with the firm, but this time it was a very disappointing (frightening, really) experience all the way around.

What happened, happened and I don't think it's useful at this point to try to place blame anywhere. For whatever reasons, I didn't do everything I should have done, and the same can be said for others. I shared my experience with you, hoping it would help prevent others from making the same mistake. And just be aware that there may be some impropriety at the Chapala Immigration office.

So again . . . happy, safe, hassle-free travels, everyone!

The OP first posting was rather confusing. Regardless if it was her fault or the airport immigration , why she did not employee a competent bilingual representative only compounded her predicament . You may as well try to wing it your self

When I use a facilitator I choose a bilingual person fluent in Spanish/English.
Likewise if I visit IMSS. I like to make sure that my problem is clearly recognized and the proposed treatment clearly understandable

had same problem they did not stamp my travel letter but stamped my US passport.

made copy of passport, stamped page

Maria at papleria wrote letter wrote letter explaining the US passport had the been stamped, and the travel letter was not stamped,

'even through it was handed to the agent.

it was accepted

• 2 weeks later...

Archived