Chapala.com Webboard

Used clothing

jrm30655

I think they will confiscate them, unless you are willing to pay a very nice mordida. Most things that come for "charities" wind up being sold at a Tianguis.

I think they will confiscate them, unless you are willing to pay a very nice mordida. Most things that come for "charities" wind up being sold at a Tianguis.

Umm...that's a huge generalization and really not true.

There are thousands of people all over Mexico who import--and pay taxes--on enormous bales of used clothing, not for charity at all, but specifically to sell at a tianguis in order to make a living for their families. Those importers pay taxes or not, but make no pretense of giving the second-hand clothing to charity.

When we spent winters in the Rio Grande Valley, missionaries would buy bales of stuff at 15 cents per pound and load vans to take it to ‘orphanages‘ just across the border. Little of it was actually children‘s clothing, but it was accepted with a smile. There are little shops in the fronts of homes, some right on our street, that sell such clothing; mostly overstock and perfectly good. Mexico is trying to stop that activity and so.....the ban on used clothing.

If you want to donate clothing to charity, buy it in Mexico.

Mexico seems to be tightening up on the used clothing importing business.

Earlier this month, SAT (Mexican Customs) and COFEPRIS (Federal Commission for the Protection Against Sanitary Risk), two Mexican government agencies, seized 60+ tons of used clothing at the US border in Sonora. The claim is that the clothing arrived in a contaminated, unsanitary condition, and was detected because of the bad odor it gave off.

http://www.oem.com.mx/eloccidental/notas/n3491003.htm

There are also assertions that the used clothing tianguis in Mexico are controlled by the drug cartels.

http://www.zocalo.com.mx/seccion/articulo/carteles-de-las-drogas-controlan-el-mercado-de-ropa-usada-1406486097

FWIW,

-- Don

We are not talking about bales of clothing but a suitcase or 2 of adult and childrens clothing that we bring 2-3 times a year on our flights down to Ajijic. These items we distribute to families and friends in and around lake side...Never been stopped or questioned..and will continue to bring these items. It always gives me smile when I see on of my grandsons shirts being worn in the village...the kids especially like the sports attire and shoes that we bring...MY CHOICE.

Archived