Chapala.com Webboard

Don't wish to be redundant, as I posted this at Insidelakeside,

elevator

but I want to cover all bases. We will drive an RV Atlanta to Laredo towing a car and turn in the RV in Laredo.. We will bring some stuff, nothing really large, in the RV and need someone to meet us in Laredo to haul it to Lakeside. I have checked with Strom and Lake Chapala Moving, but was wondering if someone knows a reliable smaller business that may be interested. It won't require a large truck. Then we can follow that person to Lakeside to make our trip easier.

You can take your own stuff over the border, but may have to use an international firm to handle the move from Laredo to Chapala. There‘s the rub. You and your personal goods would normally go through customs together, unless you use a shipper & broker, such as those with whom you have already made contact.

RV Gringo,

We probably won't be able carry everything over the border we unload north in Laredo from the RV. Is it possible to have another person meet us and bring some stuff over? This will not be an aduana situation, just clothes and household items. If e exceed the limit we will pay the fees.

Possibly, but people are only supposed to bring their own personal goods, not those of others. That is why I suspect that you may have to use a licensed broker/shipper combination to get excess goods over the border. Everything is under the control of Aduana; but the question is what is permitted, what is not, and the value.

Maybe you could rent a van in Laredo, take the goods into Nuevo Laredo, then return the van to Laredo and go back to Mexico on foot....all within the free zone. Otherwise, I suggest Strom.

You cannot temporarily import a rented vehicle, but you can drive over the border and within the free zone without any need to deal with importation at Banjercito. Of course, you would need the permission of the rental company, but I would not be surprised to find some with insurance for Mexico and who would allow you to make the short trip in and out. You will have to make some calls and ask. Otherwise, buy a cheap vehicle in Laredo, then sell it back at a bit of a loss.

The RV trip will be nice, but I suspect that you are now wondering if it would not have been better to drive your own vehicle all the way, then take it to Texas to sell at CarMax.

When we moved, in 2001, we used our own SUV and towed a small UHaul to Laredo, where we put the trailer contents into a self-storage unit and turned in the trailer. A few weeks later, we drove the SUV back to Laredo and picked up the things in storage. Easy.

but I want to cover all bases. We will drive an RV Atlanta to Laredo towing a car and turn in the RV in Laredo.. We will bring some stuff, nothing really large, in the RV and need someone to meet us in Laredo to haul it to Lakeside. I have checked with Strom and Lake Chapala Moving, but was wondering if someone knows a reliable smaller business that may be interested. It won't require a large truck. Then we can follow that person to Lakeside to make our trip easier.

Call Sergio Alvaraz- he does this all the time and knows what to do. He holds US and Mexican passport and speaks excellent English. We and our friends have used him numerous times. Cell: 333-137-4218 If he doesn't answer, he may be in the states moving someone -try 956-740-3323

RV, we are bringing three cat ad two dogs with us. No y we were travelling in one car with them. I also want to bring my 60 inch smart tv that I can plug into my computer for stuff. I'l check on the van and see what' s possible.

Thanks Sailor. I'll call him.

I may also buy a trailer in Laredo and sell it lakeside or Gudalajara.

If you buy a trailer in the USA, you cannot sell it in Mexico. It would be temporarily imported as a unit with the towing vehicle and one cannot leave Mexico without the other.

Since you probably plan to buy a vehicle when you get settled in Mexico, why not just store the excess in Laredo and pick it up later, at your convenience? Your Mexican-purchased car and trailer can cross into, and out of the USA with no hassle and no fees or deposits, unlike a US vehicle.

Otherwise, check out Sailor‘s suggestion and call Sr. Alvarez to see if he can help.

RV, we are bringing three cat ad two dogs with us. No y we were travelling in one car with them. I also want to bring my 60 inch smart tv that I can plug into my computer for stuff. I'l check on the van and see what' s possible.

Thanks Sailor. I'll call him.

I may also buy a trailer in Laredo and sell it lakeside or Gudalajara.

Sergio has a couple of different size vans and vehicles that would be able to accommodate you. He has also transported and taken care of cats and dogs for us. You will be very pleased with his service. He will also drive your vehicle if you want. We have done it both ways-he drives and we fly or we go with him or follow him.

Archived