Chapala.com Webboard

Moving down in Oct. with two schnoodles and three cats

We will rent a house with a walled yard to keep the dogs in, but I'm wondering how outdoor cats fare lakeside. Ours don't roam much here, all are fixed and usually stay close to home. I know there are many variables about where one lives etc, but just in general. They have been outdoor cats 80% of the time all their lives, so it is not feasible to make them indoor cats at this point. In our neighborhood here there are coyotes from time to time, foxes and large hawks, so we know anything can happen at anytime.

Also wondering about community ordinances about number of animals. I know in general it won't be a problem, but if we did decide on a gated community does anyone know what is common, or is it too varied to say.

Has anyone had experience there having pets teeth cleaned?

Thanks

What are the rumors about the microchips?

Tags must have what on them?

Thank you

Two animal per person limit is applied if flying in.

Much more relaxed by car (may need your first "gift" to official)

No problem getting teeth cleaned mine or the animals

No limit on number but rumours of new regs about microchips and tags on collars

There are usually limits to the number of pets in gated communities. I would recommend staying out of gated communities. No problem getting teeth cleaned. Cats that don't roam are ok....gardeners use poisons here so there's always a chance of tragedy.

My dogs are chipped. Always walk your dogs on a leash when they go out with you and don't leave them in a car alone. Pet thieves sometimes target nice dogs.

We have three dogs and a very large walled yard, so we do not have to walk them, but they do get out on a leash a few times a week, just for variety. They love it. We live in a normal neighborhood, on a normal street and have no restrictions. I would never live in a fracc with a HOA; there are enough wars in this world.

Thanks for the response folks. All our animals are chipped, so am I in a couple of places. Everyone who has crossed with pets in the last year we have spoken with said they didn't even check on the animals. But, we will have all papers in order just in case. Also we are driving in. We will have five with two people so hopefully no problem.

I have lived in some gated communities that were lovely places to live and some that were a constant pain. We won't eliminate any until they do us, but the main thing is a comfortable, secure place for us. We don't have a problem installing a security system if needed.

Accidents and other bad things can happen, but if the cats are regularly outdoor/indoor cats they will be probably be fine. Our cat-who-came-to-dinner and never left has a kitty door and stays inside at night (because we have owls). She generally stays in our yard or very close by. Be sure to ask about the pet policy and be aware that it can be changed at any time. Usually they will grandfather in existing pets but not always. I figure any gated community that is that controlling about pets probably has other pain-in-the-rear regulations as well.

I live in the village of Ajijic for many reasons one of which is that I don't have to be concerned about my dogs. We love it and so do the dogs. I imagine that, if your wall is high enough, it should provide both an outdoor setting and safety for your cats.

Good luck with the move - best thing we have done is to move here.

Our cats aren't much for fighting....they're pussies...ouch sorry.

We are so looking forward to getting down lakeside. We know it will take some time and effort to settle in, but are more than willing. I've lived out of the US three times, once before in Mexico many moons ago. I kinda know what to expect.

Thanks to all for the response.

Archived