Chapala.com Webboard

Recommendation for (Taxi?) Transport: Humans/pets from Laredo TX to Nuevo Loredo, Mexico

PORTIMOM

Our professional transport from Nuevo Laredo to Ajijic has been secured.

He will not cross over into Texas, to pick up us and our dogs.

That person is staying at hotel la embajada, overnight. I am not sure about

the safety of that area, or if that is an advisable hotel for americans to check

into.

We will most likely meet him at that hotel, and arrive via taxi. We will probably

need a taxi that is a van. It is probably wise to have that van stay put with us,

until our connection comes to meet us?

Prior to meeting that contact in Nuevo Laredo:

We will drive our rental car (which is not allowed to cross over into Mexico)

to Laredo TX.

We must find a reliable transport from Laredo TX to Nuevo Laredo Mexico.

We may have to stay overnight in either Laredo TX or Nuevo Laredo Mexico.

1st: Which overnight location is recommended, and what hotels would be safe?

2nd: Which Laredo TX transport/taxi companys do people on this board recommend?

Thank you for your time!

We stayed at the Red Roof Inn in Laredo, TX. No extra charge for animals. I have 2, one of which is an English Mastiff at 200lbs. They had no concerns. No one in the process of crossing the bridge, migration and aduana vehicle registration asked a question about the dogs. DO NOT cross on Saturday. There were hundreds in line at immigration and it took us a total of 9 hours. Because we had the dogs and it was HOT, we had to go through separately while the other stayed in the car with the motor and a/c running. Don't plan to stay overnight at Saltillo with the dogs. There's no motels that will take them unless you have crates for them. There IS no crate for an English Mastiff.

Mike

The Hotel Embajada has changed its name to NH Alonzo Martinez, and is quite elegant. You can see it here: http://www.nh-hotels.com.mx/nh/es/hoteles/espana/madrid/nh-alonso-martinez.html?nhagentid=10165&nhsubagentid=101650000001&oodc=33_62544&source=adwords&gclid=Cj0KEQjwgryfBRDn7cvY-pOit4cBEiQAB3nTbgdHkFCPOzI4vDiLI4DpG2OeuPm3R8xWjmmd2XFwM8saAsme8P8HAQ

Check the map on that site and you will see that it is a short walk from the border.

I don‘t know if you can get a taxi that will cross the border with you, especially a van. Perhaps someone else will have a suggestion.

That link is to a hotel in Madrid Spain

The Hotel Embajada has changed its name to NH Alonzo Martinez, and is quite elegant. You can see it here: http://www.nh-hotels.com.mx/nh/es/hoteles/espana/madrid/nh-alonso-martinez.html?nhagentid=10165&nhsubagentid=101650000001&oodc=33_62544&source=adwords&gclid=Cj0KEQjwgryfBRDn7cvY-pOit4cBEiQAB3nTbgdHkFCPOzI4vDiLI4DpG2OeuPm3R8xWjmmd2XFwM8saAsme8P8HAQ

Check the map on that site and you will see that it is a short walk from the border.

I don‘t know if you can get a taxi that will cross the border with you, especially a van. Perhaps someone else will have a suggestion.

Good to know of a pet friendly hotel in Laredo TX. Thank you for the other info... helpful!

We stayed at the Red Roof Inn in Laredo, TX. No extra charge for animals. I have 2, one of which is an English Mastiff at 200lbs. They had no concerns. No one in the process of crossing the bridge, migration and aduana vehicle registration asked a question about the dogs. DO NOT cross on Saturday. There were hundreds in line at immigration and it took us a total of 9 hours. Because we had the dogs and it was HOT, we had to go through separately while the other stayed in the car with the motor and a/c running. Don't plan to stay overnight at Saltillo with the dogs. There's no motels that will take them unless you have crates for them. There IS no crate for an English Mastiff.

Mike

In Laredo, Texas we stay at the LaQuinta, exit #2........they accept dogs, short distance to bridge 2 where we cross.....In N. Laredo they have Holiday Inn.......don't have a clue if they accept animals. Happy trip.

Is this the LaQuinta located at:

3610 Santa Ursula Avenue
Laredo, TX 78041
(956) 722-0511

For that one is near the Hertz Rental Car turn in.

Thanks again!

You should plan to spend the night in Laredo NOT Nuevo Laredo. Not a real safe place at night. The biggest challenge will be getting someone to take you, the dogs and luggage across the border. You might contact the Laredo Convention and Visitor Bureau, they can probably give you information on that. http://www.visitlaredo.com

I am trying that as well... phoning to see if that is something they have SUCCESSFULLY done!

How about deciding where to stay in Laredo, making a reservation there, and asking that hotel to make arrangements for a van taxi that will take you to the border?

Portimom,

You might consider meeting at the Colombia Bridge crossing instead of using the main Laredo ones.....while it is a bit out of the way, 20 min west of Laredo or so, it is much more compact / boutique in size (and service, IMHO) and you might find it much easier to "connect" and make the transfer of your family, pets, and luggage.

Which location are you speaking of?

If it is out of the way, why would it be easier to connect? (Connect with who... Taxi?)

Our connection will be in Nuevo Laredo, and the plan is to have the Taxi Cab/Van take us there.

Portimom,

You might consider meeting at the Colombia Bridge crossing instead of using the main Laredo ones.....while it is a bit out of the way, 20 min west of Laredo or so, it is much more compact / boutique in size (and service, IMHO) and you might find it much easier to "connect" and make the transfer of your family, pets, and luggage.

Best to ask your transporter for their view on meeting at Colombia.

The posting was to point out another option to you in the Laredo area that many use and prefer, due to it being a small and generally not busy border crossing point.

Best to ask your transporter for their view on meeting at Colombia.

The posting was to point out another option to you in the Laredo area that many use and prefer, due to it being a small and generally not busy border crossing point.

Ok.. shall look into that bridge crossing...

However my transport person uses this one, and quite frankly we are fortunate to have

a reliable transport reserved.

We are crossing over very early on a weekday morning... 7 AM

We don't expect it to be too busy.

Thanks for your suggestion.

FYI - the Columbia bridge does not open until 8 AM. I arrived there coming back from Houston at 7:20 AM and had a surprise wait and for the first time in 10 years, the agent thoroughly checked out the contents inside my car.

We are meeting the person who will be transporting us, our dogs and our belongings at 7:00.

I was wondering why it wasn't earlier in the morning... this explains a lot. Once we arrive @

the Nuevo Laredo location, it will probably take a good 30 mins to load up that large van. So

that timing will be just about right.

Thanks for that insight. Are all Mexican borders closed till 8 am?

The Colunbia Bridge is the only one that opens at 8 AM. I had always crossed it at later times during the day on numerous trips to and from Texas, but the most recent trip, May 2014, was when I wanted to cross earlier. I arrived at 7:20 AM and was the 8th car in the waiting line. The crossing was still a lot faster than the wait at the other bridges.

I had checked the Laredo video cams earlier for the traffic flow and was wondering why the International Bridge III was empty. I found out upon arrival.

Archived