Chapala.com Webboard

AURELIO'S

gringal

Somewhat mirrors our experience. Good not great, skimpy pour of cheap wine for 45 pesos, lots of flies and very slow to get served even though there were less than 10 people there including us.

Nice dining room, attentive service.

We'll stick to Brunos for steak and baked potato. No comparison IMO. But you don't go to Brunos for atmosphere.

Somewhat mirrors our experience. Good not great, skimpy pour of cheap wine for 45 pesos, lots of flies and very slow to get served even though there were less than 10 people there including us.

Nice dining room, attentive service.

We'll stick to Brunos for steak and baked potato. No comparison IMO. But you don't go to Brunos for atmosphere.

Had lunch there today and revisited my favorite beef brochette. It was again a real treat, as was my spouse's salmon with pesto sauce. All of which goes to show you that everybody is a food critic since everybody eats! Bon appetit, no matter where you love the best.

I do wish they'd deal better with the flies, though. How about a conga line of waiters carrying those tennis racket shaped bug zappers, weaving through the place?

My lunch group ate there today & I had the beef ribs (short ribs) that were fabulous. As good as Number Four at 1/2 the price. The service was excellent especially considering the number of people at our table. The pizza looked great & the person who ordered it really liked it. One of my 3 favorites now.

I ate there about 5 in the afternoon and the waiter suggested to sit close to the front entrance where it was cooler and where there are fewer flies.

No flies. Food (grilled octopus and rolled pork) and service were very good. A bit pricey.

Had lunch there today for the first time. My wife had salmon and I had the hamburger. We both really enjoyed our meals. Prompt services including glasses of cold water and lightly toasted bread including butter with a little garlic in it as soon as we sat down.

Both meals were cooked exactly as we requested and served quickly. We thought the prices were very reasonable for the quality we received. Interesting menu and we will definitely go back to try out other dishes.

I still find their wine pour too small for the price. Someone mentioned having a good Mexican Coffee. Was that with Tequila etc? I ask because they brought me a brandy snifter of kalua, a brandy snifter of tequila and a full cup of coffee.

House wine is generally pretty bad stuff. Better to splurge, get a bottle from the list and take the "leftovers" home, IMO. (Of course, the famed Maxine would say "what is leftover wine"?)

Met Gringal, Bournemouth and others at Arileo on Tuesday for lunch. Very pleasant and sharp ladies. No flies on Tuesday, perhaps because the electric swatter was lieing in plain view.

I had my first pizza from this place. It was deelish: personal-sized, very thin crust, lots of good toppings. I'm normally up for a more typical NOB-type crust, but I do enjoy these thin ones as well. Service was transparent, as usual: quiet and quick. Considering we were six, and the table beside us was 10, they do very well in this department.

The mango agua fresca was very nice. Unfortunately, at 1pm, the soup of the day was not ready; so far I have really enjoyed their previous offerings.

The meal was finished off with the noted cheesecake, delivered beautifully decorated just like before (minus the birthday candle this time), and shared among the three of us was very pleasant. Again, while not a superior cheesecake, it is certainly much nicer than most served around here. Conversation was entertaining, and we should do it again. (I was having too much fun to notice what everybody else ordered...)

We had our third meal at Arileo's today. All wonderful meals. Rib eye was nicely flavored, the penne al vodka was excellent, mixed fries were a hit, and the Caesar salad was also good. We look forward to becoming regulars and trying the other dishes. The tables near the front provide a beautiful view of the mountains. No fly problem for us.

• 3 weeks later...

I see that Arileo has introduced dinner music as of last night, anyway. While I love Noe, I do not like anything above background music while I'm eating. A large part of eating out, for me, is the conversation generated by good food and drink. And I rarely eat before 7, which is when the music starts. Bah.

CG thanks for posting this. We have some friends visiting and thought we'd give Arileo our first try while they're here. One of our friends has some hearing difficulty so we won't bother. Like you a large part of eating out is being able to converse and linger over some wine and nice food.

We've started making a list of the hours of our favorite restaurants (never seem to remember) and we need to include what nights there is live music as well.

• 4 months later...

Really wanted a steak on Saturday so headed off to Arileo's. But I was too weak to resist the special: prime rib. (They offered a package including small soup and a dessert, but I wanted a full bowl of the soup of the day.) Wow, darn thing hung over both sides of my plate.

I order medium as opposed to rare because it's easier to get a cut that is still warm. Man, it was tasty. A perfect crusty cook on the outside, spiced in a way that is typical of the chef there. And the seafood chowder (they also had cream of mushroom on; they are so good with soups, although the price has gone from 40 to 48p since I first reported) was just full of chunks of yummy stuff in a dee-lishus creamed base. Wasn't cheap for the prime rib at $250, but it was so big and tasty I cannot complain.

Did they switch prime rib night from Fri to Sat, or is it 2 nights now?

I agree with Computer Guy. I've had prime rib there several times and it was very good. If you don't call and reserve your prime rib you'll probably be out of luck if you arrive after 7:30.

They have made constant physical improvements to that place since it opened.

Don't really know. Hard to serve prime-rib leftovers in a decent fashion (although the chunk I took home was great, fried up with eggs the next morning...!) The Guad Reporter ad does say PrimeRib on Fridays.

It has been a few weeks since I last went, but it was great to see the very-well designed glass and aluminum doors they've installed. There was a lot of wind on Saturday and we would have been blown out of the place if not for those.

• 10 months later...

Don't really know. Hard to serve prime-rib leftovers in a decent fashion (although the chunk I took home was great, fried up with eggs the next morning...!) The Guad Reporter ad does say PrimeRib on Fridays.

It has been a few weeks since I last went, but it was great to see the very-well designed glass and aluminum doors they've installed. There was a lot of wind on Saturday and we would have been blown out of the place if not for those.

Are they open New Years Eve? Or do they have a phone number?

I am very pleased to tell everyone that the next Dine With The Shrine will be at Arileo's on Wednesday, Jan. 20th. They are opening on their normal day off for this special occasion.

Stay tuned as the day gets closer for more details.

A great chance to try a great restaurant and to help our local Shriners help our local children to get treated at our hospitals - regardless of the child's ability to pay.

http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/Locations/mexicocity

Archived