Chapala.com Webboard

In an earlier post she refers to the neighbors down the street with all the dogs who sit on the porch barking. In this post she references " the set that sits on the front porch going at it. I'm wondering how the people that live near by handle that much barking?" She is not talking about her dogs or her near by neighbors.

I have eleven. One large, three in the 20 pound range and the others , 3 chihuaha, 2 maltese and a Pom, are little guys. The Pom is the worst instigator. If I go after him to get him to shut up..he falls on his back for a tummy rub. Finally found the "big gun". The regular water spray bottle. After a few "spray downs" now all I have to do to is shake it to ensure a peaceful evening. None of this critters were planned... stuff happens... and once they love you...what can you do?!!

She mentioned her dogs barking over cats,dogs scorpions,rats,skunks etc...in other words they're barkers..

I can't seem to keep up with all your editing - the point is - the porch was some other house and the other dogs that HAD been barking were somewhere else down the road. Two separate cases. I guess its too hard to apologize. Anyway have a good day.

poor viajero, is having such a time with the inconsiderate neighbor's dogs that keeps them awake but this has been a good venting place. Anyone sleep deprived and bothered by an annoying dog could understand. I would go nuts which isn't far away! We've lived here for years and it wasn't until recently that a neighbor, catty cornered from us in the rear, groomed their huge back yard. All the lots around us are very large, vacant, full of jungle or have a home behind us that is too far to hear anything. Anyway, this particular house cleared it out in the rear and now the little yappers they have can come over to the back of their property and I can see them yapping at nothing up above but trying to stir things up with my dogs. I've told them(the neighbor's dogs) to "callense!!" shut up and it hasn't happened much since. Come to think of it, I wouldn't put it past me to have taken a super soaker to them lolol I'm one with little nerves so I can understand being upset and bothered by a little thing blown up big, especially if it intrudes on my peace in my own home! Viajero I hope you'll get some relief from the inconsiderate neighbors. If not, maybe some of us could chip in and buy you a super soaker squirt gun! lolol or a hose with a nozzle spray, that may work for you!! Take that to the barking dogs!

Yes, the front porch hounds are a good walk/drive away on the other side of the "valley" going back up, maybe 1/2 mile-ish. Their bark carries and is far off, nothing that would keep me awake at night from here, i sleep with ear plugs anyway. There may only be 9 dogs there.

Wow Cookie! 11, you're the winner as of yet! I was just thinking how we also get cow and horse traffic here. That will cause some dog alerting. Those nights are a bit annoying because all of the dogs in the area bark at them roaming around and either the city was called to get after the owners of the cows or I think the police can be called to get them cleared out. In fact, we have a security camera pointing down in the empty lot next door so we can see what's there. One night I couldn't get to sleep because of the barking and got up to take care of the problem. The cows were up by our house on the empty lot next door, I got out the big soaker and stood on the slide, which has a large overflow pocket of water and started spraying them. They didn't leave the same way they came in but I got rid of the cows! Last week, we had a little visitor making beeping sounds by our living room window. It had climbed up into the bushes close by. I thought it was a rat because I took 2 weeks cleaning/thinning out the vines and rats nests, ICK!(so much for having a gardener, I hired myself to do the dirty work they were afraid of!) Well, after shaking the thickly covered fence, shinning a bright flood light type flashlight looking for the critter and hoping it'd be scared off, it finally decided to go away and left a fragrance behind that I'm thrilled didn't find me or our dogs! The dogs weren't even barking at it. It's a baby skunk!

Gwynne, I'm glad it worked out well for you and your neighbors! The neighbor we had, we have one, moved back north and didn't like metal doors that made noise, which is what all of our exterior doors are made of, in fact, didn't like any noise at all. I felt bad every time we had to close the front gate. They didn't like any pets that I know of. They were so quiet you never knew if they were home or not. They only commented once after we moved in that it used to be quieter here but they felt safer now that we had built and moved in. We're a bit isolated on our section of the road. Our new neighbors are still getting situated, haven't moved in but I'm thinking maybe they're only weekenders or are a nice retired Mexican couple.

poor viajero, is having such a time with the inconsiderate neighbor's dogs that keeps them awake but this has been a good venting place. Anyone sleep deprived and bothered by an annoying dog could understand. I've told them(the neighbor's dogs) to "callense!!" shut up and it hasn't happened much since. Come to think of it, I wouldn't put it past me to have taken a super soaker to them lolol I'm one with little nerves so I can understand being upset and bothered by a little thing blown up big, especially if it intrudes on my peace in my own home! Viajero I hope you'll get some relief from the inconsiderate neighbors. If not, maybe some of us could chip in and buy you a super soaker squirt gun! lolol or a hose with a nozzle spray, that may work for you!! Take that to the barking dogs!

Yes, the front porch hounds are a good walk/drive away on the other side of the "valley" going back up, maybe 1/2 mile-ish. Their bark carries and is far off, nothing that would keep me awake at night from here, i sleep with ear plugs anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions,home sweet home,unfortunately the dogs I'm talking about aren't a half mile away,more like thirty yards away,still out of range of my 8 years old sons super-soaker,I've tried sleeping with earplugs like you do but find them uncomfortable,as far as yelling callense at them,that just gets them more stirred up,and leaving notes for the owner,that doesn't work either because she's a pendeja,my neighbors have tried talking to her to no avail.

Sorry for confusing your post about your barking dogs with your neighbor's barking dogs,sleep deprivation due to yappy dogs can effect one's reading comprehension skills.

Viajero, what about calling the police? Is the lady mentally challenged and hostile or is she afraid of a break in? I found the earplugs here uncomfortable as well, bought some on Amazon and had someone bring them to me. Actually, we had a package delivered today via Amazon/UPS and it arrived on time at our house!

I bless each and every one of you who have taken in the abused, unwanted, and rescue dogs (and cats) who have become your family members. Pretty sure the Universe blesses you too. I had pugs all my life and spent many years on the board of Pug Rescue Texas. Ten years ago I walked into a pet store in PV looking for a canary, and instead found my SweetPea, three and a half weeks old, taken away from her mom...living in a bird cage, no soft thing to lie on, sick almost to death from having canned dog food crammed down her throat, which of course she couldn't digest. I had to believe "I can't save them all, but I HAVE to save this one!" So off we went for chicken and rice to gruel in the microwave. She had to be with me round the clock so I could bottle-feed her every couple of hours. She slept in a shoebox in my bed so I wouldn't roll over on her. She has turned out to be the healthiest, smartest, best friend of my life, and because of my rescue background, she is my 19th pug. I used to have four at a time, all old ladies because no one else would take them, just like in real life, where old lady humans are ignored and unwanted. The love and gratitude of a rescue are unparalleled in the universe.

Humans have so very much to learn!

all old ladies because no one else would take them, just like in real life, where old lady humans are ignored and unwanted.

That's the saddest comment that I've read all day...someday I'll be an old lady human and I hope I'm not ignored or unwanted. I've always enjoyed hearing about people's adventures when they were younger, so interesting! Aside from that what a very sweet pug story :)

Amen on the criticism! Just because there are lots of dogs that need rescuing here certainly does not mean that everyone has to rescue every dog they own. We have two rescues that came from the old shelter that is now Lucky Dog. We love both dearly ... and certainly have found out about Corgi's even though one of ours is just a Corgi mix. She rules the roost and all us hens and roosters in her brood :) Then we have a cocker spaniel that is my shaddow .... I don't know what I will do when he is no longer with us.

We hate barking dogs ... we bought a bark machine on line and had it sent to our relatives the first 6 months we lived here. We are still using it every time we go out the bark machine is turned on. I have taped our dogs to see what happens and they will bark no more than 2 minutes straight (and I know that 2 minutes are horrible to listen to) and then they don't bark again. I have told our neighbor about the bark machine ... she has 3 dogs and when they are left alone they bark continuously until she gets back home ... so I figure 2 minutes is nothing :)

Oh ... as long as we are talking about our precious dogs and cats ... we all need to remember that we need to do something about them being taken care of if something happens to us. I heard about a lady here at Lakeside that passed away this last weekend leaving 12 dogs and a couple of cats. Friends are finding homes for the ones that they can but the others will be sent to the already overloaded shelters.

This begs the question ... how do people handle this? If you don't have anyone that agrees to take your dogs are people leaving instructions and money for them to be put to rest as well? I know this is a downer topic but I think it is an important one and one I am wrestling with myself.

I realize my posting is a bit off target from the initial topic that was started,

but I wanted to add to Luke's last posting about what happens to your family pets when you die or become incapacitated.

On Anita's Animals' website there is a tab called; Pet Godparents.

It is set up as a form that can be completed and printed and kept in a prominent place in your home.

The form provides instructions for others, [possibly a human rescuer who comes into the house after a human accident, etc..]

about the owner's pets. It includes info about the animals themselves, what care is needed for them [ medicines / medical conditions if any ]

who will assume their care if needed or what /where their pets should go if the owner is not longer taking care of them due to incapacitation or death.

Please, consider doing this for the sake of your pets, and for those persosn who will be challenged with this task of taking care of these pets

if there is an unexpected human event.

Oh ... as long as we are talking about our precious dogs and cats ... we all need to remember that we need to do something about them being taken care of if something happens to us. I heard about a lady here at Lakeside that passed away this last weekend leaving 12 dogs and a couple of cats. Friends are finding homes for the ones that they can but the others will be sent to the already overloaded shelters.

This begs the question ... how do people handle this? If you don't have anyone that agrees to take your dogs are people leaving instructions and money for them to be put to rest as well? I know this is a downer topic but I think it is an important one and one I am wrestling with myself.

I flew to Mexico with my rescued deer Chihuahua & once here I adopted a mother/daughter act from an elderly lady who had rescued them but could no longer care for them & they were posted on this forum & then adopted Winky, the one-eyed wonder dog (Bichon mix) also from this board so I have 4. I hush them when they bark but they're in a walled garden backing onto a vacant lot & by 7:00 PM they're in the house & not barking at all.

As far as what happens when I'm gone, I've willed my house to some nice people who will care for my pets for the rest of their natural lives as I have no family. In turn they will carry on the tradition.

On my walk yesterday, I counted that the neighbor with the porch side dwellers has 12 dogs that came out DOG HUNTING when we passed by, the property isn't that big...It's not a shelter...

Dog hoarding never occurred to me when I started asking how many dogs people have since moving to Mexico because I knew of some clean people, with clean homes and dogs well cared for that have 10 and thought it'd make a fun topic in the pet section but at what number does it become hoarding dogs? :wacko: Maybe that would be a good answer from Mtnmama who worked with dog rescues in the states I believe.

+9

I have more than 10 dogs of my own and right now I am looking after 6 fosters 4 of which are ready to find their permanent homes. There is no magic number that changes you from a large dog family to a hoarder. One definition I heard and liked was that you become a hoarder when you have more furry friends than you can afford and have the stamina to care for. Dogs and cats are like children they need stimulation to keep them active and mentally healthy as well as good food and medical attention.

recently 20 dogs were rescued from a lady in Guadalajara who kept these dogs in bird cages That person was probably a hoarder- Note the dogs have been taken care of and last i heard most had been rehomed.

A dog hoarder is a person that just cannot stop taking in animals, thinking that he or she is actually helping these animals when in fact they are being harmed. It happens with cats, rabbits etc. It is very difficult to change the minds of many of these individuals and many really do need some type intervention and/or medical help. It can get to the point that the homes are so jammed with animals in cages, or whatever they can find to keep them in that there is no room to move. The animals are filthy, skinny, parasite ridden. It is so sad.

The people that we have met here that have multiple dogs, anywhere from 6 to 15, are not hoarders. The animals are fed well, get regular medical attention and loved.

We have 10 dogs and knew that 10 was our limit. We have the property for them to run around, we have the financial means to take care of them, the physical ability to care for them, and we love them all very much. We have had the majority of them since they were puppies, all rescues from Lakeside. Several were rescues from our Fracc. Our oldest is 7 1/2, our youngest is a little over 3 years old.

Would not change a thing. They give us joy, love and lots of laughs.

Hoarding, sometimes called animal collecting, is a psychological disorder as Peach pointed out. In my experience, the mental state of the person is a large part of defining rather than just numbers. When we lived in the mountains, we had a neighbor who collected Huskies and Husky mixes. She was up to 14 when we moved. She was convinced she was taking them all to Alaska to race in the Iditarod. The dogs had no training, no conditioning, no socialization.. but she had the trip all planned.

In addition to food, water, medical care and a clean safe place to live, animals need face-time. They crave individual attention and mental as well as physical exercise. If they aren't getting that, you probably have too many.

Archived