Chapala.com Webboard

Before moving to this home I could have never imagined owning more than one dog; we were always a single dog family. If someone would have told me that one day we'd be a four dog family I wouldn't have believed them. Then, it happened. We moved permanently, Lord willing, to the outskirts of Chapala. We needed 2 guard dogs to reside outside and I still had to have a small non shedding lapdog. It took a while for us to get the combination right but we became a 4 dog household. I do like dogs. Ours do know how to sit and behave themselves. The guard dogs were trained at Wolf's military/police school as personal protection dogs obviously are socialized and we were trained as their handlers. The lap dogs can at least sit and one is trained to do all kinds of tricks, shake hands, sit pretty etc and can even pray :D

The other day while walking, I passed a couple of homes and had to smile and was told of another home that is also a 10 dog household! WOowzer or should that be bowzer! 10 dogs! One home has smaller lap type dogs and they're all very well groomed, very clean fur balls. The other home has med/large sized short haired dogs and they occupy the front porch and the furniture that sits there. It makes me smile but I can't help but think of all that poop! lol

How many dogs do you have and did you ever imagine owning more than 1-3 dogs before moving to Mexico? :D

I have had as many as 3 in the States. Here I have 2. Don't think I would ever have one as they love company and I don't find it any more difficult taking care of 2. Just as easy to find house sitters for 2 as one. We travel a lot so having more it would be moe difficult to have 2. Also, our gated community only allows 2, when we bought here it was 2 dogs and 2 cats, but the community voted to change it to 2 domestic animals.

I know many people with multiple dogs. There are so many beautiful furballs looking for homes it is very easy to add just one more to the family. Living up north the Vet costs as well as the groomers made it cost prohibitive to have a big furry family and if you did not live in the country you were restricted by the city or town limit on the number of pets.allowed per household. Here on top of my own furballs I have 6 foster dogs.

I came here with no dogs and now I have eight. I always had dogs in the U.S. but never more than three at a time. How anyone can live here and not have dogs amazes me because there are so many that need homes. It is hard to say "No" to a starving unloved animal.

I also have 6 peafowl if anyone is looking for a peacock, two hens and three chicks to grace their jardin.

We came here with none and paid for Sushi at Dr. Pepe Magana's office. Since then, she had 2 pups and we are a 3 Chihuahua household. LOVE 'em all!

Valerie :)

Three here... and we are due to arrive in Ajijic in September!

NOOOOOOO more... This was more than we had planned!

We do like doggy get togethers though... Then the more the merrier!

Before moving to this home I could have never imagined owning more than one dog; we were always a single dog family. If someone would have told me that one day we'd be a four dog family I wouldn't have believed them. Then, it happened. We moved permanently, Lord willing, to the outskirts of Chapala. We needed 2 guard dogs to reside outside and I still had to have a small non shedding lapdog. It took a while for us to get the combination right but we became a 4 dog household. I do like dogs. Ours do know how to sit and behave themselves. The guard dogs were trained at Wolf's military/police school as personal protection dogs obviously are socialized and we were trained as their handlers. The lap dogs can at least sit and one is trained to do all kinds of tricks, shake hands, sit pretty etc and can even pray :D

The other day while walking, I passed a couple of homes and had to smile and was told of another home that is also a 10 dog household! WOowzer or should that be bowzer! 10 dogs! One home has smaller lap type dogs and they're all very well groomed, very clean fur balls. The other home has med/large sized short haired dogs and they occupy the front porch and the furniture that sits there. It makes smile but I can't help but think of all that poop! lol

How many dogs do you have and did you ever imagine owning more than 1-3 dogs before moving to Mexico? :D

When we moved here we knew that we would adopt at least two - well 7 years later we have 10 dogs and 2 cats. All except our 16 year old cat were rescues. Bath time is always fun at our house. Our property in Chapala is fairly large so there is plenty of room. As far as the poop goes its picked up immediately and for having 9 females our lawn still looks good. I wouldn't change a thing, they are all great animals and have very different personalities. Our one male never has the last word and knows his place with the girls.

Most we had in USA were 2 dogs (Doxies) and 2 cats. Dogs like companions, so it worked well. Cats were strays but put up with us. We came here with one dog, Tallie, and thought that was perfect. Then we moved out of condo into our home with walled yard. Got Lucy from Lucky Dog. She is a delight. DeeDee needed a home (caged at Animal Shelter) and she is such fun. Rescued a dying pit bull who lived:) and got Lucky Dog to swap him for Bonnie. Thought that was it until we saw the boy Doxie who needed a home. So, today it's five dogs and one grumpy cat.

Carol

We used to breed and show Wheatens and then we all retired together; no more dog shows no more puppies (I still miss the babies though) and along with our four female Wheatens we headed for Mexico. That was more then six years ago and since arriving we have lost three of our girls and were down to one thirteen year old Wheaten, Ayelish. I have said forever that once the Wheatens were gone: "No More Dogs"; it is just too painful to say goodbye. If we had to have pets then it had to be goldfish.

Well , , , a little over two months ago we adopted a Chihuahua mix, "Isabella Goldfish" AKA Izzy, and tomorrow after what seems like a long wait we will be picking up the lovely Mirabelle from Tio Bob, to join our family. With an Isabella and a Mirabelle we found ourselves a bit tongue tied and knew we would have trouble referencing them, so we asked for Bob's permission to change her name. After some searching we have chosen the name Sawyer which we found, not a meaning but an explanation for the name: "people with this name have a deep seated desire for a stable home and a loving family". I don't know who makes up these name explanations or meanings but Sawyer seemed appropriate. And so, as of tomorrow, our canine census climbs to three and for many reasons we plan not to exceed that number.

We came to Mexico with two rescued Jack Russells. Over the next 9 years, the lost, the homeless, the injured, and asylum seekers have found our door. Now we have eight. We keep telling ourselves that we live in the country so we need lots of watch dogs. (some watch....some don't) Our latest addition was hit by a car on the carretera and dragged himself to our gate. He had a broken pelvis and several broken ribs. We thought he was a goner for sure. He must have decided this was a good place, because he rallied and now he three-legs it down to the back wall with the pack. Some are now getting old and it would be smart for us not to replace them when they go. But then there will be another puppy in the weeds or someone huddled at the gate.........

These are great stories!

As I'm relaxing here in my home I think I hear the set that sits on the front porch going at it. I'm wondering how the people that live near by handle that much barking? Thinking about it, there's a home at the end or curve of that road that had a lot of dogs and horses at one time, the dogs would get out and chase us. They belonged to a Mexican family and after the husband was killed, little by little the dogs and horses and people from the house disappeared. We want our dogs to bark but sometimes they get going over a rat, cat, dog, scorpion or skunk and then I've had enough barking. I don't like them keeping me awake at night over petty things but I do like being alarmed if people are outside the wall at night and don't belong here. I can control their barking, especially the little ones. Mama's big guns are clapping two old pie tins together. One look at those tins and they're done! hehe

These are great stories!

As I'm relaxing here in my home I think I hear the set that sits on the front porch going at it. I'm wondering how the people that live near by handle that much barking? Thinking about it, there's a home at the end or curve of that road that had a lot of dogs and horses at one time, the dogs would get out and chase us. They belonged to a Mexican family and after the husband was killed, little by little the dogs and horses and people from the house disappeared. We want our dogs to bark but sometimes they get going over a rat, cat, dog, scorpion or skunk and then I've had enough barking. I don't like them keeping me awake at night over petty things but I do like being alarmed if people are outside the wall at night and don't belong here. I can control their barking, especially the little ones. Mama's big guns are clapping two old pie tins together. One look at those tins and they're done! hehe

I'm glad you brought up the barking issue,in our neighborhood there are a lot of dog owners who just don't give a damn if their dogs bark day and night for no reason,their complete disregard for their neighbors is hard to understand,as I'm posting this there are two dogs across the street barking like mad at...nothing..

It is not pleasant at all to be awakened at 3AM by your neighbor's yappy dog on a regular basis,hopefully all of you owners of multiple dogs are more considerate of your neighbors than mine are..

Most we had in USA were 2 dogs (Doxies) and 2 cats. Dogs like companions, so it worked well. Cats were strays but put up with us. We came here with one dog, Tallie, and thought that was perfect. Then we moved out of condo into our home with walled yard. Got Lucy from Lucky Dog. She is a delight. DeeDee needed a home (caged at Animal Shelter) and she is such fun. Rescued a dying pit bull who lived:) and got Lucky Dog to swap him for Bonnie. Thought that was it until we saw the boy Doxie who needed a home. So, today it's five dogs and one grumpy cat.

Carol

I am so glad you took the little boy doxie! We moved to Lakeside Jan 2010 with our 3 mini-doxies and have added a yellow lab and Doberman...love them all. The little male mini-doxie was so cute...thank you!

We have three and it is a delicate balance. We have one 12 year old Corgi who is (in case you didn't know) dog queen of Jalisco. She demands subservient behavior and torments any dog who doesn't show proper respect. We tried adding a male rescue puppy I was fostering NOB but she was so mean, we had to find him a new home. Some dogs get along with dogs better than others.

And I agree about the barking. Ours are inside much of the time and always at night. I figure they can bark a bad guy from inside the house as well as outside plus Sam sounds much bigger than he is. He is fiercer when you can't see him.

I'm glad you brought up the barking issue,in our neighborhood there are a lot of dog owners who just don't give a damn if their dogs bark day and night for no reason,their complete disregard for their neighbors is hard to understand,as I'm posting this there are two dogs across the street barking like mad at...nothing..

It is not pleasant at all to be awakened at 3AM by your neighbor's yappy dog on a regular basis,hopefully all of you owners of multiple dogs are more considerate of your neighbors than mine are..

Agree with above 100%

Also...to Valerie, if there are so many excess dogs for adoption, why are you breeding yours? I thought adopted dogs (you said your got yours from Dr. Pepe), had to be neutered at time of adoption. That makes sense, otherwise you are perpetuating the overpopulation problem.

Agree with above 100%

Also...to Valerie, if there are so many excess dogs for adoption, why are you breeding yours? I thought adopted dogs (you said your got yours from Dr. Pepe), had to be neutered at time of adoption. That makes sense, otherwise you are perpetuating the overpopulation problem.

Mine are all "fixed" but I don't know of any rule demanding that dogs be spayed or neutered at adoption. Maybe the SPCA in the U.S. has this rule but it is a suggestion here.

I don't like barking dogs either. I always had sight hounds before I moved here and they rarely barked. I keep my dogs inside if I am not home so hopefully they will be quiet and they are not allowed to bark if I am home. I don't know how people can allow a dog to bark at night and they never find out why it is barking or make it stop.

No, when we bought Sushi from Dr. Pepe, there was not the requirement to spay her. We knew that within a couple of years we would want her to have puppies as we love everything about her. That includes personality, disposition, physical attributes, etc. We searched high and low throughout the village to find just the right Stud and eventually located little Pinto. We wanted a Chihuahua half her size to help ensure an easy and safe pregnancy and birth. Apparently Pinto has been the father for many small Chihuahuas. After paying 1000 pesos for a few days with Pinto and my assistance (that was a horrific 15 minutes each time), Sushi was presumably pregnant.

Throughout her pregnancy, we doted on her (nothing new) and eventually she gave us the gift of 2 little Chihuahuas that we just adore. They both show their parent's distinct personalities and we couldn't be happier with them. Since then, all three have been spayed and neutered as we didn't want Sushi to have another litter.

Before finding and purchasing Sushi from Dr. Pepe, we spent almost a year searching for a small Chihuahua at Anita's, Pepe's and by posting notices looking for a small dog. I understand the need to search shelters first and we did. As for breeding Sushi, it was purely to ensure a similar personality, size and disposition.

We continue to support the local animal shelters through donations, buying products there and participating in their fund raising events.

Our five don't bark at night. All are snuggled in bed. We, too, have night barkers near us. But it doesn't seem to bother our sleeping pack. During the day they will bark to let us know someone is at the gate. Nice alarm system. Doxies have deep, loud barks that make a person think a Doberman is on the other side ...until you see their little, smiling faces.

Carol

No, when we bought Sushi from Dr. Pepe, there was not the requirement to spay her. We knew that within a couple of years we would want her to have puppies as we love everything about her. That includes personality, disposition, physical attributes, etc. We searched high and low throughout the village to find just the right Stud and eventually located little Pinto. We wanted a Chihuahua half her size to help ensure an easy and safe pregnancy and birth. Apparently Pinto has been the father for many small Chihuahuas. After paying 1000 pesos for a few days with Pinto and my assistance (that was a horrific 15 minutes each time), Sushi was presumably pregnant.

Throughout her pregnancy, we doted on her (nothing new) and eventually she gave us the gift of 2 little Chihuahuas that we just adore. They both show their parent's distinct personalities and we couldn't be happier with them. Since then, all three have been spayed and neutered as we didn't want Sushi to have another litter.

Before finding and purchasing Sushi from Dr. Pepe, we spent almost a year searching for a small Chihuahua at Anita's, Pepe's and by posting notices looking for a small dog. I understand the need to search shelters first and we did. As for breeding Sushi, it was purely to ensure a similar personality, size and disposition.

We continue to support the local animal shelters through donations, buying products there and participating in their fund raising events.

In all of Mexico you couldn't find another chihuahua to suit you?

I really thought that the shelters here, as in the US, required neutering/spaying upon adoption. They should consider it; how else can they curb the over-population.

As I'm relaxing here in my home I think I hear the set that sits on the front porch going at it. I'm wondering how the people that live near by handle that much barking?

I feel bad for your neighbors having to "handle" your dogs barking,how incredibly inconsiderate it is of you to subject your neighbors to your pack of barking dogs...

I feel bad for your neighbors having to "handle" your dogs barking,how incredibly inconsiderate it is of you to subject your neighbors to your pack of barking dogs...

You need to re read the OP's original thread and then her next, then you should probably apologize. She was not referring to HER dogs barking. I believe I know who she is, and believe me she is not like that.

I feel bad for your neighbors having to "handle" your dogs barking,how incredibly inconsiderate it is of you to subject your neighbors to your barking dogs...

pfft...you're making me giggle viajero, I live in a very wide open country setting and my dogs don't bark non stop at nothing or they get the whammy from me! If you are upset with your neighbors, why don't you tell them their dogs are driving you crazy? Put a sign on their door. ¨Sus perros me molestan ladrando día a noche! Por favor! Callense los por favor, me dan loco! No puedo dormir!¨

One of the favorite things for my dogs to do is to call the dog next door (Benito) over to the low wall for a "barkfest". This happens several times a day. At first we worried that the people would be disturbed and mad at all the noise....although a barkfest typically only lasts 2 or 3 minutes. Then one day we saw them and they told us how it delighted them that Benito had friends and could be a real dog with them. They even called him over and told him his "friends" were waiting for him.

Not to worry about the neighbors on other sides.....there aren't any.

You need to re read the OP's original thread and then her next, then you should probably apologize. She was not referring to HER dogs barking.

She mentioned her dogs barking over cats,dogs scorpions,rats,skunks etc...in other words they're barkers..

Archived