Chapala.com Webboard

What's changed the most at Lakeside in the past 10 years?

joanne

Shopping and internet is a lot better. It takes time getting used to living here and for us, we continue to learn the language, being able to communicate and get around is so much easier and comfortable.

Regarding crime, to me it's the same as 10 years ago or maybe even better. We had a bad season here 2-2 1/2 years ago but it is so much better here now. Everyone I talk to says the same. People have wised up, talked about how to be proactive. We're all in the same place, living on this planet earth and if someone can find a secluded pocket where they still leave their doors unlocked and the car running while at the store, well, maybe there are tornados and fires to worry about there. Earlier this year there was an incident and the government came in and really cleaned house good. This happened a year ago in Jocotepec and it's been better there as well. Just don't be stupid, do what you need to do as the new norm and live in peace. Be happy we don't need bomb shelters in our homes and need to worry about being bombed at any moment. What's worse? The condition/state of the world :) Can't dwell on that.

Well, duh, real estate. When I moved here 9 years ago, prices were going up so fast my husband and I leaped at buying while we could still afford the prices. At that point we were priced out of San Miguel de Allende, which we also considered, but decided Lakeside was much preferable for a full-time home. We were among 3 bidders for our house in lower Chula Vista, and we paid full price to get the place and did not regret doing so, despite spending mucho dinero on upgrades. Later, we sold up, essentially came out even, and considered ourselves lucky to have got out before the market fell. Now I am glad to be in a very attractive long-term rental in a great spot with a great landlord, and I do not have to worry about my heir in the US having to cope with selling the place when I depart this orb. I think I have been AND AM darned lucky.

In other news, there was much more going on in terms of new restaurants and nightlife and concerts 9 years ago. Now the whole restaurant and concert scene is reduced, altho there are still good things to do and good places to eat, just not like a few years ago. NOT the mad scene of my memory. But Jimmy Barto is back!!! There may be hope for us!

There are far fewer street dogs than there were 8 years ago.I am probably one of the few that enjoyed seeing them sleeping on the sidewalks and wandering into the restaurants looking for a treat.

Phone and internet service is greatly improved. The other thing I enjoy is the availability of some of the food stuff I missed from the north.Now you can even get etable salted butter a bit pricy but available.

Lastly it is far easier to move your money from up North to here.

Painted lines and reflectors on the highways, a huge improvement. There were none when I came here 9 years ago. Stoplights with burned out bulbs. There was only one at Colon and it seemed to work most of the time. Walmart (yuck) why can't they keep ANYTHING in stock. Black Coffee, excellent espresso.

There are far fewer street dogs than there were 8 years ago.I am probably one of the few that enjoyed seeing them sleeping on the sidewalks and wandering into the restaurants looking for a treat.

Phone and internet service is greatly improved. The other thing I enjoy is the availability of some of the food stuff I missed from the north.Now you can even get etable salted butter a bit pricy but available.

Lastly it is far easier to move your money from up North to here.

Always been easy via wire transfer. Now you can't write a check. Easier? I don't think so!

more traffic??? really? I thought maybe we're at an all time low for the past 10 years. There's less expats this summer!!! This summer has been harder on me than others...I really have felt the hole of losing so many of my friends that moved back north. A surgeon recently told my husband that although it was said numbers were down last summer, it wasn't felt economically as much because there had been a strong winter 2 years ago. I guess this past winter wasn't nearly as strong and numbers are down even more this summer, it's being felt economically.

Regarding real estate, oh yes! Prices are wonderful now for those wanting to buy! I've been waiting to see who our new neighbors are going to be? Looks like a nice Mexican family, retired couple, maybe weekenders. 8 years ago real estate was terribly inflated! We were just getting to know the area and couldn't believe what expats were willing to pay, especially since we owned a home in Guadalajara to compare with :-S We drove around the area, bought a lot from a Mexican family and built our dream home. Will never regret that! home sweet home :wub:

10 years ago, the malecons weren't what they are today, there's been improvement. hah, there wasn't the Chapala tour bus!! Or the water ski park.

I think the cuisine has become more diversified although in the early years here we ate out all of the time at the same places we would eat today, I learned how to cook so we haven't frequented many restaurants. I haven't eaten at 1/2 of the places available.

bigd, what mountain are you referring to?

Guest bennie2

there is more traffic than ever as more people come here from guad to hang out. weekends & holidays are like any urban center. makes you want to get away. (or stay in). superlake is a nice edition, but i managed fine when visiting- way before they opened.

We have lived here for seven years, so we can speak of the time since mid-2007.

Roads have definitely improved: Joco bypass, Highway 15 out to the Colima to Guad highway, some improvements in the Chapala to Guad carretera, highway between the Chapala-Guad carretera and Ocotlan/#15 Autopista, considerable expansion of the Autopista (toll road) network throughout Mexico.

Traffic has definitely increased, not so much because there are more foreigners, but because the roads have improved between here and Guad. Weekends, the traffic is bumper to bumper through Ajijic. Parking is definitely more difficult during the high season and on weekends.

Real estate prices have stopped skyrocketing and in a few cases have dropped to slightly more reasonable levels. Occasionally you can find a good deal on a house that is not junk.

Rentals are much more available, and the rental prices have dropped significantly in many cases.

Malecons (waterfront walkways) in Chapala and Ajijic have radically improved, and Jocotopec and several other towns now have them for the first time.

Prices on many things have increased significantly, including (but not limited to) food, electricity and propane, gasoline, restaurant prices consumer items, etc. You can still find deals, but they are definitely scarcer.

Much less rain than when we arrived in 2007. Each year it seems to get dryer. Maybe climate change? Maybe something cyclical?

Probably a lot more, but that is enough for now.

I can't really think of anything that is decidedly worse. The real estate was sky rocketing as some have mentioned but like anywhere else, that had to have a correction. I think one thing closest to me that has changed is me! :) I am a happier, healthier, more tolerant and giving person than I was when we moved here. I am thankful for the friends we have made over the years. I have learned several many lessons from our Mexican hosts that have promoted that happy, healthy, more tolerant thing and to them I say a hearty Thank You.

Prices have gone up but prices have gone up most everywhere. I was going to say that one thing that is decidedly worse is now we have a Walmart. However, in re-thinking that comment ... they are providing jobs for many people, the Mexicans seem to be glad they are in town as well as they also frequent the store themselves. I was happy to see that the Mom and Pop stores are still in abundance and get their share of the business as well.

Oh, now the rain has come ... time to listen, relax and enjoy.

When we arrived in Ajijic for our first visit, we were welcomed by that canopy of gorgeous trees that

lined the Carretera along La Floresta, They were in full bloom, beautiful purple blossoms, and I

thought I had truly arrived in Paradise. What a welcoming sight! It truly took my breath away.

I think they bloomed in 2008, but not positive, and unfortunately, they have not bloomed since. That

has been a significant loss for me.

When we arrived in Ajijic for our first visit, we were welcomed by that canopy of gorgeous trees that

lined the Carretera along La Floresta, They were in full bloom, beautiful purple blossoms, and I

thought I had truly arrived in Paradise. What a welcoming sight! It truly took my breath away.

I think they bloomed in 2008, but not positive, and unfortunately, they have not bloomed since. That

has been a significant loss for me.

jacarandas don't bloom at this time of year. their purplish blue blossoms tinting their shadows are exquisite.every time of year here--even the dry season--has its seasonal beauties. sunflowers and morning glories, or verdant green mountains or flame colored tabachines or tulipanes or bugamvillas all have their day here. we've been here 15 years full time now and are still pinching ourselves on how lucky we were to find Lake Chapala. it is the unchanged things here like the kindness of the local people, the freshness of the air, the beauty that surrounds us that make this place truly special.

Some of the trees in that canopy are gone. That's a real loss.

On the other hand, the refurbished Plaza in Ajijic looks better, and we now have the Ajijic Malecon along with the improved waterfront area in Chapala and the park in Jocotepec.

The new mall is a question mark, along with the Walmart store.......but I notice that people in general are giving both their patronage, so who am I to object?

It's a beautiful place to live, and change is more "normal" than not. I'm happy.

Doesn't what one thinks has changed the most at Lakeside, for better or for worse, depend to some extent on where one lives? The neighborhood in San Antonio Tlayacapan where I live is much less pleasant than it used to be because of more noise from traffic, loud speakers (including those atop the church and across the street from me), barking roof dogs day and night, loud music emanating from residences and passing cars, and teenagers congregating at night across the street. That is attributable to the fact that the neighborhood is now much more built-up than it was when I began to live here ten years ago, including five--yes five--condo developments that were not here then--with perhaps yet another one on the way (heavy construction that cannot be seen is underway just down the street), and to be honest it must be said, some of the people who have moved into the neighborhood with their loud music and barking dogs.

Guest bennie2

the ony recourse is to move if you can. agree 100% w/ken. at one time (like 15 or 20 + yrs ago) san antonio was so quiet you could hear a "pin drop" as they say. same w/ajijic central, even on a weekend. its not the country, it's urban sprawl. there are some very nice quiet streets near the lake & in floresta. but, floresta got very noisy w/those leaf blowers all day. (so even that changed). there are also few wires & cable boxes as well in those areas. seems a developement is the way to go if you want quiet. (am i wrong)?

Archived