Chapala.com Webboard

Telmex Internet Speed

johanson

Too often we only post when we are having problems. Today I would like to post that I have had the greatest of service from Telmex Infinitum ADSL internet.

I used to pay $599 pesos per month for the medium phone-internet package, and for many years I have been getting what was promised. Speeds "hasta" or up to 5 megs down by up to about 0.64 Megs up.

To get that speed when checking in my modem I would find that they set the speed at 6.013 megs down by 0.764 megs down. (One usually gets about 85% of what is set in there modems)

I noticed that Telmex was offering to double my speed for only $100 pesos per month more.

After having signed up, I checked my new speed settings in my modem; 12.65 megs/sec down by 0.990 megs/sec up. Now for the first week I was worried because they upgraded my upload speed only, but by the second week I was getting what I am paying for

3684684122.png

Does everyone with a telephone line qualify for this service? Sadly NO. Only those living close to where their telephone lines are connected to the internet (DSLAM card)get high speed internet. Per Telmex, my DSLAM card which is located at the Telmex office is only 1,080 meters away from my home.

So I would like to say, thank you Telmex for the excellent service.

Interesting, Pete... when last I spoke with TelMex... a month ago?... they said that offer was no longer valid. As of 18 months ago. However, I can hear in their voices on the line from Mexico City these days that there is a lot of "buffalo-ing" going on at that support office. The majority of them are beginning to say anything that gets them out of their "satisfaction quotas". Such as just mentioned, along with "Can't be done in your area" no matter which area... and so on. I have no faith.

The good news is, since you started this thread with good news, is that the reason I no longer have long-term working relationships with the more-experienced tech-support staff is this: I rarely have to call them anymore, because Internet service is much more reliable than it used to be a couple of years ago.

I was rather surprised as well, Mike. I also wondered why I was upgraded so early several years back using the then new Telmex middle package of 5 Megs down by 0.75 or so up, especially when they were telling neighbors who lived closer than I, that it was not possible in our neighborhood. Could it be that they look at my total volume of data transferred and find it low enough to see that I will not be using up that much of their available bandwidth?

As you well know its all there in my Telmex modem, as shown below.

"Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 1,26 / 16,47" . I don't know over what period that data was measured.

I'm not streaming that much and when I do stream I often use a VPN which can slow things down even more and often it's audio only licensed for the country it originates from.

And DC5 that is a respectable speed for cable in our part of Mexico. Here, lakeside, Telecable only offers up to 15 megs down, by 2 up.

Archived