Chapala.com Webboard

RIP Robin Williams

hensley

Bennie0.....So many opinions on someone you know nothing about. Calling him a comedian... he was so much more... you are so very very wrong. If he would have died quietly in his sleep..we would still mourn. and you would still be a ignorant jerk.

Why do you care what Bennie's opinion is about Williams? How does that effect you? There are thousands of actors and comedians because millions of people have different tastes. There is not one entertainer who appeals to everyone not even John Wayne. You might think we are all obligated to grieve for Williams, but we are not.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Suicide is devasting for the family left behind and I doubt very much that it becomes an acceptable thing to do within that family.

People who have never had a loved one commit suicide cannot understand how devastating it is. Whenever we lose someone we love, we fell anger and we blame. We blame a bad driver, we blame cancer, we blame bad doctors whatever is convenient and makes sense to us, we blame. A suicide is different. We blame ourselves for not doing enough and then when we have suffered through that we do what is the hardest, we blame the person we loved for ending his life and hurting us.

There is no death equal to the grief of a suicide. Maybe losing a baby is as devastating, but even then we don't blame the baby.

I feel anger at Williams. He had the resources to get help. I know what his children, wife and friends will go through. I would like to slug him.

Guest bennie2

yes, joco there are 1000s of actors & comedians. they are strangers, they have a paid job to entertain the public. there isnt a relationship between the actor & the fan except what the fan imagines it it be. it is a delusionary relationship, but i accept the public for who they are.

What? Not everyone likes John Wayne? WHAT???!!!

Now that's funny. John Wayne was an on-screen hero, but had the reputation of being a total jerk in real life.

The ultimate irony is that the John Wayne Airport in Orange county, CA that bears his name was built in spite of the protest of .........guess who? John hisself.

When a famous person chooses to end his/her own life long before their time, we need to remember that fame does create its own demons, and sometimes, they outnumber the saving angels. We can't know the mind of anyone else, particularly that of someone we only "know" through the media. RIP, Robin.

Guest bennie2

gringal, fame is not the issue, people have problems way before success. drinking & drug taking adds to this no matter what the position is in life. people who have multi millions have more options than those riding on top of a train. we dont know the drug or alcohol induced state someone was in @ the time. yes, you're correct, we know people only thru the media.

Bennie2,

I think it likely that you never heard Robin work live. I was a working musician for about 15 years and was fortunate enough to watch him work live 12-15 times. If you are in show business for any length of time, you get to hear a lot of comedians work live. Almost all rely on set pieces with variations to get the crowd to laugh. For them, timing is the most important thing, even the greats. Nothing wrong with that. I have always thought that comedy is the most difficult thing to do in show business. You are out there without a net, and when your material isn't working, you bomb. At least if you have a guitar and can sing, it's never all that bad. (Usually). Robin was the exception. The stuff he did never stopped coming. Folks who worked at clubs where he was booked said they never heard two nights the same.

That's not talent. That's genius. Lord, he made everybody laugh. There are performers in this world of such stature that when they go, they leave a hole. Sometimes someone else fills that hole. In some cases no one does. The hole remains empty. For a lot of us, we feel bad for him. We also feel bad for ourselves, because we won't see and hear him again. Bennie, it's a death in the family.

Guest bennie2

jaykay, when you knew someone who died, i can understand how you feel. (for me, his standup is not my taste. but thats me). sorry for the loss of your friend.

\ That's genius. Lord, he made everybody laugh.

I agree he was a genius. However, I did not enjoy his comedy, but I did recognize that he easily made many laugh, and was very creative. I did enjoy some of his films, however. I find it sad that anyone finds it necessary to take their own life. I hope his family can deal with his lost. The older we get, the more people we lose who have special meaning in our lives.

Guest bennie2

just saw a headline which made perfect sense, something i thought of earlier. the medicines of the parkinsons had bad side effects. made him more crazy, doesnt surprise me. maybe thats the lesson to be learned.

People with mental illness are not "crazy". Please educate yourself and realize that your brother, sister, child, neighbour can suffer from a mental illness and you may not even know it. What a stereotypical, disrespectful and offensive term to use for those afflicted.

People with mental illness are not "crazy". Please educate yourself and realize that your brother, sister, child, neighbour can suffer from a mental illness and you may not even know it. What a stereotypical, disrespectful and offensive term to use for those afflicted.

Also, a better description is brain illness since most diseases that affect behavior can be controlled by medicines making the diseases physical, not mental. Many people, especially women, with low thyroids are diagnosed as depressed and given antidepressants instead of thyroid medications. People with other hormone problems are diagnosed as mentally ill when the problem is curable. I think in a few years we will have the ability to cure or control schizophrenia and other severe brain diseases.

Archived