Chapala.com Webboard

Southwest officially enters Mexico market with Los Cabos flight

maw7815

Mexico News Daily | Sunday, August 10, 2014

Southwest Airlines began operating flights into Mexico today following its purchase in 2011 of Air Tran. The first flight by Southwest, the main discount airline in the United States, landed in Los Cabos, marking its official entry in the Mexican market.

The route had been operated by Air Tran. Its new owner is in the process of phasing out the Air Tran brand. It will cease to exist as of November 2 following a gradual transition.

Southwest Airlines will be going head to head against competitors such as Volaris, operating nine of 21 routes between the U.S. and Mexico. Javier Romo, an analyst with Sigmun Research, said at the time that Southwest didn’t represent a threat to Mexican airlines.

“What it’s doing is increasing the number of passengers in Mexico.”

In June it began offering fares up to 11% lower than rivals, and permitting two carr-on bags rather than just one. It was also offering flight changes with no additional charges.

Last year about 1 million passengers traveled from the U.S. to Los Cabos.

- See more at: http://mexiconewsdaily.com

That's GREAT! I keep hoping Southwest will do a Direct, Non Stop flight from GDL to ATL! Delta has a stranglehold on that route and the fares reflect it!

Hope springs eternal!

Valerie :)

I am with you, Eagles100!! Guad to Montreal or Toronto direct would be fantastic - no more stopping in USA ! I hubbed through Cancun this time - spent two days walking the beach and floating in the infinity pool and then direct to Montreal....much more humane than hanging out in Houston for 4 hours!

Archived