Chapala.com Webboard

Importing household goods

joco69

Anybody has brought some household goods into Mexico of lately?

I have a shipment sitting at GDL airport since July 23 and seem to be impossible to get a customs agent to take on the job to proceed with getting it through Aduana.

Back in Canada the Consulate would not stamp the packing list since we had received our Permanente more than 6 months ago. Unfortunately property does not sell within 6 months and we are prepared to pay the necessary customs fees. Problem is that no Customs Agent wants to take the job unless the Consulate stamps the packing list, a catch 22 situation.

Anybody any idea on how to get out of this merry-going-around situation? In the meantime the clock is ticking and we pay daily storage fees because of a bureaucratic foul up.

Pay the tax, I am not sure why they want the consulate to stamp it unless you insist on the menaje de casa that looks like may be untimely. What else did the customs agents give as reasons for not wanting to help you?

Pay the tax, I am not sure why they want the consulate to stamp it unless you insist on the menaje de casa that looks like may be untimely. What else did the customs agents give as reasons for not wanting to help you?

Have told them that I will pay the tax, never pretended to get it all duty free. The items on the packing list that seem to bother them are cloth, shoes and belts, all our own stuff nothing new. Its normal for former snowbirds to have those items at both ends where they live 6 months each. Each custom agent I am referred to initially says no problem then they come back after a few days with the darn stamp from the nearest consulate which is Montreal who does not want to stamp the list. Will get in touch with you later after a schedule treatment in GDL or tomorrow, in the meantime if you can find out how and to who I can pay the tax, I am glad to oblige, all I want is get our stuff, much of what is a lifetime of memories.

Joco, I'm sorry you're having this problem and it must be very frustrating. Is your Spanish good enough to handle subtleties/nuance? I know my Spanish isn't. If I were you I'd hire someone--maybe someone from one of the moving companies that handle international moves, or someone else who is both tactful and knowledgeable about customs. I would not hire my maid for this job.

Your problem is probably that Mexico does not want leather goods and used clothes to be shipped in. I had a similar problem when I tried to ship a box of work clothes (suits and such) from Hong Kong to Jakarta. Hong Kong did not permit shipment of clothes OUT of Hong Kong because they had such a large black market that competed with the clothing industry. I ended up packing my clothes in suitcases and shipping work materials.

Joco, I'm sorry you're having this problem and it must be very frustrating. Is your Spanish good enough to handle subtleties/nuance? I know my Spanish isn't. If I were you I'd hire someone--maybe someone from one of the moving companies that handle international moves, or someone else who is both tactful and knowledgeable about customs. I would not hire my maid for this job.

Your problem is probably that Mexico does not want leather goods and used clothes to be shipped in. I had a similar problem when I tried to ship a box of work clothes (suits and such) from Hong Kong to Jakarta. Hong Kong did not permit shipment of clothes OUT of Hong Kong because they had such a large black market that competed with the clothing industry. I ended up packing my clothes in suitcases and shipping work materials.

My Spanish is pretty good and I have managed to communicate with the assigned Customs Agents. Its just difficult to get right through to Customs which would be so much easier. Paying the duty was never an obstacle, all we want is getting our stuff. Funny that you mention leather goods, my jacket most of the shoes where bought in Mexico so are the belts. Thanks for caring.

• 9 months later...

Joco69, can you tell us what ultimately happened with your things? Did you get them freed or were they sent back? How was the issue resolved or was it? Lots of folks heading down who could really benefit from your wisdom on this matter, including me. Thanks.

Archived