Chapala.com Webboard

Where to buy furniture?

Okay, need a little help with recommendations for where to buy some furniture. (contemporary, fabric sofa, loveseat and side chairs)

Went to Tonala, Galerias Mall, Ocotlan and the local guy in San Antonio, but haven't found what the wife is looking for.

I heard there was a large, multi-story furniture place in Guadalajara, but don't know any of the details.

Anyone have any recommendations on where else we might look?

I enthusiastically recommend Salvador at INNOVA furniture in Tonala. He is a wonderful young man who has his own factory and can make exactly what you want for much less than what it will cost in a big furniture store. In fact, he makes the furniture for big stores. If you have a picture, he can go from there but he also has lots of catalogs to go through. The store is on Av Tonala 287 on your right on the way into town,, phone is 3331379288. There is a large orange and white sign "INNOVA" over the door. If Salvador is not there, ask whoever is to call him for you and tell him Arlene says hello. You will not be disappointed and he speaks English.

Same problem as"Gilligan"… finding the furniture I like.

I understand that entrance to the Furniture Expo is permitted only if you are a client of a registered

Decorator/Architect/Designer etc., in other words, not open to the general public ?

I'd very much like to attend this show, but driving in Guad traffic is out of the question.

In past years one of the owners of a design shop organized group trips for a fee, if anyone knows if such trips are

still available, I'd appreciate some information.

I was told to say you're a decorator or designer in Ajijic. I haven't tried it yet because of bad timing but one day I will.

Maybe make up a business card to show. Sorry, sometimes you have to be sneaky.

I was told, not sure it's true, that you would need to arrange shipping, if it's a large item, to a Lakeside store. Maybe someone can shed light on that aspect. A furniture store owner here told me that soooo... ;)

Other posts have recommended the Mexican furniture option, expect the outlets stores along the highway to Ocotlan. However, if you want brand name furniture built to last go to either:

Casa Palacio in Mexico City or

Amparo Taylor in Gdl (Av. Mexico at the intersection with Terranova).

Expect additional charges for shipping to lakeside from either.

Good luck

Take a local look at Arden Muebles (furniture) in Riberas, across from the Animal Shelter. I was there last week and she has a new container coming in 3 weeks. The store is busy on Sundays with Guadalajara customers coming here to buy.

Maggie Garcia is an Interior Designer and will do free in home consultations. Very pleasant to deal with.

I echo the intelligence of going to the Furniture Show. There you have everyone under one roof. You can pay cash at the door to get in. The decorator buyer I have used and its free admission. Be creative. With the "Buyer" card hanging around my neck service was much more attentive.

Archived