Chapala.com Webboard

CELL PHONE AREA CODE FOR AJIJIC MEXICO

I am in the final stretch of setting up my cell phone with Telcel.

In setting up those cell phone numbers, and would like to

know which area code should I request?

Thank you so much for your help!

PortiMom

My landline in Ajijic is area code 376. But cell phones do not have an Ajijic area code. My cell phone here is 331 but that is not a local area code, as BMH noted.

My landline in Ajijic is area code 376. But cell phones do not have an Ajijic area code. My cell phone here is 331 but that is not a local area code, as BMH noted.

Just to clarify this area code: Do I request a 331 or 333 (or is that 33 1 or 33 3)

Thanks for your help!

Just to confuse things, many years ago when Movie Star cell phones were first introduced lakeside they had a lakeside area code. I think 376. Not any more :( They are now like the competition, 33.

So any which way you look at it or critique how it's done, makes no difference.... You will not get a lakeside area code for your cell phone. In fact, the Telcel representative that is helping me via email has been helpful, but even he didn't think to give me a 33 area code. So now I will order the sim card and receive my phone number prior to arriving lakeside. It will take 2-3 weeks to get that sim card in the mail, because I am requesting a 33 area code (slows it down a notch). These message boards and the people on them reaching out to one another are wonderful.. thanks so much for sharing your knowledge with me.

Ummmmmm.....PORTIMOM, I think you may be waaaaaay overthinking/planning this. It takes about 20 minutes to buy a cell phone here. They won't ask you what "area code" you want, you will simply be given it. And it will work.

Are you driving here? Is that why you want a Mexican cell phone prior to arrival? If so, you can buy one at any town along the way, in the same fashion.

P.S./Edit: Never mind. I just saw your other post. Good luck.

Ummmmmm.....PORTIMOM, I think you may be waaaaaay overthinking/planning this. It takes about 20 minutes to buy a cell phone here. They won't ask you what "area code" you want, you will simply be given it. And it will work.

Are you driving here? Is that why you want a Mexican cell phone prior to arrival? If so, you can buy one at any town along the way, in the same fashion.

P.S./Edit: Never mind. I just saw your other post. Good luck.

ha ha... yes I have fur family.... and should one slip away... I like to have a current number on their collars. I know that ordering through the mail could take weeks or longer, so better to have that detail out of the way. I posted that other link so people would have the information it took me months to research. Another dog parent already put that info to use. They are also ordering engraved collars with their new number. Just trying to be helpful.

For cell phones we're part of the greater Guadalajara area code which is 33. There are no options. All phone numbers in Mexico have 10 digits. Large cities have a 2 digit area code, smaller towns have 3 digits.

Mexico City (55), Guadalajara (33), and Monterrey (81) are the only three cities in Mexico which have two-digit area codes and eight-digit telephone numbers.

Here's a list of 100 Mexican cities and their clave LADA (area code): http://www.claveladade.info/

"Mexico City (55), Guadalajara (33), and Monterrey (81) are the only three cities in Mexico which have two-digit area codes and eight-digit telephone numbers."

2 + 8 = 10 digits

3 + 7 + 10 digits

??

Two digit AREA CODES plus eight digit telephone numbers. My landline phone number in Mexico City, for example, is 55-5XXX-XXXX. Sr. Fulano's landline phone number in Ajijic is 376-766-XXXX. Sra. Fulana's landline phone number in Guadalajara is 33-3XXX-XXXX. Of course they all add up to 10 digits, but the configuration is different.

I don't understand your point.

• 2 weeks later...

So how would I print a number on a dog collar, so that it is understandable/not confusing?

I just received my phone number today and it reads in a format that appears like this:

+52-1-33-1000-0000

Would it be better to print it like this:

331-000-0000 or yet another way?

So how would I print a number on a dog collar, so that it is understandable/not confusing?

I just received my phone number today and it reads in a format that appears like this:

+52-1-33-1000-0000

Would it be better to print it like this:

331-000-0000 or yet another way?

In fact as I look closer there appears to be an extra digit ... a 1

I wonder if that is what is usually not showing when I see the ten digit numbers alongside of an +52

At any rate if that extra 1 is not suppose to be there when dialing from Mexico, then the example for phone

number would look like this instead: +52-331-000-0000

Is that the correct format and thinking on that?

so if you were to have your cell phone engraved on a pet's ID tag,

How would that format appear...

Would it look like this 331-000-000

or

would it appear with additional digits?

Thanks

so if you were to have your cell phone engraved on a pet's ID tag,

How would that format appear...

Would it look like this 331-000-000

Do it like that. Or like this: 33 10 00 00 00. Or like this: 3310000000. Format doesn't really matter. Mexicans are fluent in cell phone. But you want ten digits total. The rest of it is if your dialing from outside the country. 52 is the country code for Mexico, etc.

Do it like that. Or like this: 33 10 00 00 00. Or like this: 3310000000. Format doesn't really matter. Mexicans are fluent in cell phone. But you want ten digits total. The rest of it is if your dialing from outside the country. 52 is the country code for Mexico, etc.

I am going to list both a US phone number and a Mexican phone number on those tags.

Either will work in Mexico, because the US number is a call forwarding number that will just go to my Mex cell number.

I want to differentiate between the two.

I might just do it like this as long as it wont confuse:

MX+52-331-000-0000

USA+1-714-000-0000

Is that clear enough for locals?

Thanks

The extra 1 is when calling a cell phone from outside Mexico.

That's what I thought, according to wikipedia.. lol... but that's not what I was told, according to a cell phone company.

So it's good to get your clarification on leaving off that 1... much appreciated!

Leave the 1 in the number if you leave the 52.

52 = Mexico code

1 = Long distance

33 = Guadalajara area code

In other words, put the number on the collar just the way the phone company gave it to you. Folks will know how to use it.

No, it is not correct. The area code (LADA) for Guadalajara is 33. It is NOT 331. You need to separate the LADA from the telephone number. 33-1000-0000. I know it still 'seems' the same, but it is NOT the same. For example, if your dog gets out of your car and disappears in Guadalajara, a person in Guadalajara will not generally understand if the first numbers are 331. It's a TWO digit area code and an EIGHT digit phone number. The Guadalajaran will only need to call eight digits, without the LADA.

No, it is not correct. The area code (LADA) for Guadalajara is 33. It is NOT 331. You need to separate the LADA from the telephone number. 33-1000-0000. I know it still 'seems' the same, but it is NOT the same. For example, if your dog gets out of your car and disappears in Guadalajara, a person in Guadalajara will not generally understand if the first numbers are 331. It's a TWO digit area code and an EIGHT digit phone number. The Guadalajaran will only need to call eight digits, without the LADA.

Leave the 1 in the number if you leave the 52.

52 = Mexico code

1 = Long distance

33 = Guadalajara area code

In other words, put the number on the collar just the way the phone company gave it to you. Folks will know how to use it.

First: The line for the inscription is limited to 18 spaces on the first line

16 spaces on the second line

18 spaces on the third line

I have to alter it to have that number fit into 18 spaces.

The number untouched goes like this: 011 +52-1-33-0000-0000 and exceeds that allowance.
See comment to Liana below
Thanks

I need a shorter understandable version.

Will the following work:

+52-1-33-0000-0000

or is this better:

Cell: 33-0000-0000

USA 1-610-000-0000