Chapala.com Webboard

UNITED AIR refunds MX travel fee for permanente holder

solajijic

I have gotten refunds as well from United.

Go to united.com > reservations > refunds > select 'E-ticket Refund' scroll down and fill in your info.

Send them scans of:
1.) Residente Temporal or Residente Permanente
2.) e-Ticket or ticket receipt
3.) boarding pass
So hang onto all that paperwork.

About time someone fessed up to this ripoff that's been going on for years, and by now million$, for those of us resident here. Some have put it off onto the MXN gov, others just don't admit it. United was never one of my fav carriers in my travel days, but this is a gold star for them for sure.

What a surprise. Refund on $380 ticket was $54.05. It took an email and a couple scans of tickets and boarding passes. Worth the time.

So I guess this means that they have been charging a little "extra" for going to the trouble of doing your tourist card that you don't need. This is sheer genius.

I completed a trip with Delta 10 days ago so I'm going to investigate. I wonder what the time limit is?

When was the trip that you applied for?

Westjet and United are now saying "yes" to the refund of the immigration part of Departure Taxes, while Frontier says "no".

United had said "no" in the past.

So, the current state of application of the lawss by US and Canadian companies is much like the varying application of INM rules and Aduana rules - compliance with published laws varies by the office location or company, and the compliance varies over time.

IATA regs point to part of the problem in that the INM fees/"Tourist Tax: are often convolved with the Departure Tax - which some airlines are using as an excuse to wiggle out of paying the refund: http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/MX-Mexico-customs-currency-airport-tax-regulations-details.htm

It is a big scam, I was a representative plaintiff in a class action years ago but it did not work as the transportation department supposedly had jurisdiction and the airlines were withholding a tax they never paid, a big scam and fraud.

I am a former ticket agent for American Airlines and have looked I to this as I still have pass benefits and am billed after I travel. I have been a resident of Mexico for 5 years and now am Permanente. The only fee that is refundable to those if us who are residents is the. Mexican Tourist tax which is charged on your return to. Mexico. There are 2 ways to not pay it...1. Pay for your ticket through the airlines reservations department, they should not charge you for doing that since it is a special circumstance. 2. Get a refund after you travel, on your ticket or receipt the Mexican Tourist tax is coded as UK...it is somewhere around $20-23usd.

I got the following info from flyertalk.com

• XD - Mexico: Int'l Airport Departure Tax
  • XO - Mexico: Int'l Value Added Tax
  • XV - Mexico: Domestic Airport Departure Tax
  • MX - Mexico: Domestic Value Added Tax
I see the departure tax ($26.52) and the Mex. IVA ($17.00) on my last United ticket (QRO-IAH-CLT)purchased directly from United.com

United has always refunded to my credit card after I send them a copy of all the stuff...usually takes about 30 days. They count on you being too lazy to notify them that they owe you those taxes.

• 1 month later...

I recently flew with US Airways from Guad to Phoenix and return. The flight was booked and paid for in the USA. When I went to the US Airways web site and inputted my confirmation code to book in, there was a highlighted part of text which, when you clicked on it, should have opened to give the breakdown of the fare - to possibly include the Mexican Tourist Tax - but, of course, it wouldn't open when I tried to click on it. So, after the return flight, I contacted US AIrways to ask about reclaiming the tax and received the following response:

"The Mexican Tourist Tax is not charged on tickets that originate in Mexico. I viewed the fare collected on confirmation code xxxxxx and confirmed that you did not pay the Mexican Tourist Tax".

Has anyone else been given a refund of the tax when their flight originated in Mexico?

Also, when I was going through the on-line booking in procedure, it came on the screen that I had to pay $25 for my first bag and the program wouldn't let me proceed further on to ticket print-out until this amount had been paid. The first bag on the return leg - Phoenix to Guad - I was not charged for. I contacted US Airways after my return and they admitted that an error had been made and that they would refund the $25 - presumably it will go back to the same USA account but watch for this 'mistake' if you are using US Airways.

Archived