Chapala.com Webboard

Good News for Ebay Shoppers in Mexico!

This is excellent news. I am a big Ebay user for all kinds of items and Amazon too. It will be wonderful to get itmes delivered directly to our house and the big ticket things can come down with family and friends.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, PITA to set this up because you can only see it if you sign as me, but I've created a set of screen grabs. https://picasaweb.google.com/mikermiker/EBay?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCNihwqSw1IP3lQE&feat=directlink

You can see

1. The order, prior to checkout

2. The Shopping Cart, with Proceed to Checkout. In the upper right corner, Request Total from Seller link, because no shipping has been calculated.

3. On the Request Total from Seller page, no shipping has been calculated. And a big button that says COMMIT TO BUY AND SUBMIT REQUEST.

So in this case, I cannot get a shipping cost until I have committed to buy. Then they will tell me.

I did this once, figuring "No, there will be a total before this happens, right?" and there was not. So I had to fight with them, give them a bad rating, tell my credit card company to deny the charge.

ComputerGuy, thank you for taking the time to do this. I didn't think it through long enough to realize what a PITA it would be.

When I clicked on your screen shots, the seller's eBay ID was clearly visible. I went to eBay and looked at what he's selling. On all his listings, if you scroll down to the middle of the page, you'll see two tabs: one says 'description' and the other says 'shipping and payments'. I looked at half a dozen of his listings and clicked on the 'shipping and payments' tab; every one has the shipping cost clearly listed. I still don't understand what the problem you've had is. I don't doubt your word, but I don't get it. I must be missing something, but I don't know what.

PS: We signed up with Estafeta this morning. I might just buy something this evening to test it out. :D

Yes, you are correct, but two things: one, this was an example that I never bought... I just wanted to point out the difficulty that occasionally surfaces. So I was not tempted or induced to scroll down the page away from the purchase information: I just clicked on ADD TO CART, which is what I do for all my other shopping on the Web. Two, if I get to the third screen and am asked to COMMIT before learning the shipping info, what is my reasoning to go back and start all over again, digging around the site, looking for answers... when any of a thousand other vendors there have the same part and DO give me the shipping price a I click through?

I never said there was no way around it: I pointed out it happens sometimes. And I appreciate your taking the time to dig a little deeper... however, personally, I will continue to avoid any vendor that drags me through that ringer. It's so easy to find what I need just about anywhere else. And it points out a central flaw in the vendor's page design, because he lost my business. And if he can lose mine, I'm willing to be he's lost lots of others.

What happens if you are not home to receive items from Estafeta.

They leave a notice and try again the next day. We had that happen once and received delivery the next day. Not sure what happens after that. I have a Handymail box and could receive things at their address, so after that one missed time tried to change to that, but for some reason the Estafeta site wouldn't accept that address. It is pretty "strict" on how you enter things. I gave up as it wasn't such a big deal, but may attempt it again or write them and see what I need to do to change.

The Estafeta delivery seems to come from Guadalajara, and the best I can tell it comes in the afternoon, so that isn't so bad if you have to go out you can go out in the morning and will probably be OK.

I just tried doing my membership with Estafeta and it needs a CURP or RFC number.

I tried entering my CURP number but it kept coming back saying it is the wrong format.

I put in the Clave # and it didn't work. I then tried the Folio # and that didn't work either.

So- what is an RFC #?

Very frustrating!

maw

I just tried doing my membership with Estafeta and it needs a CURP or RFC number.

I tried entering my CURP number but it kept coming back saying it is the wrong format.

I put in the Clave # and it didn't work. I then tried the Folio # and that didn't work either.

So- what is an RFC #?

Very frustrating!

maw

Judy did our registration and had similar problems. Here’s what you need.

• the RFC is a financial registration. If you have a copy of a Mexican bank statement or investment company statement, look on it and you will probably find your RFC. Then just copy that number into the space where you need it on the Estafeta form.
  • There’s only one CURP number, a long string of digits and letters. Take the CURP number you have and put it in this form (see the link below), along with the other information required. http://consultas.curp.gob.mx/CurpSP/ That form will tell you whether or not the CURP you have is correct, it’s the federal CURP registration. You will only need to enter your last name (not the segundo apellido) and your name, your sex, birth date, and the entidad federativa (state) The Captcha number is at the very top of the screen in big blue letters.

Judy got this to work by filling in her RFC only, the form wouldn’t accept her CURP. On the Estafeta application form, you are REQUIRED to put in a second last name—the apellido materno. Just put in NINGUNO. That means none, and that’s what Judy did, and it works.

If you continue to have trouble, send a PM to Oasis Cloud, who might be able to give you better (and closer) advice.

Judy did our registration and had similar problems. Here’s what you need.

• the RFC is a financial registration. If you have a copy of a Mexican bank statement or investment company statement, look on it and you will probably find your RFC. Then just copy that number into the space where you need it on the Estafeta form.
  • There’s only one CURP number, a long string of digits and letters. Take the CURP number you have and put it in this form (see the link below), along with the other information required. http://consultas.curp.gob.mx/CurpSP/ That form will tell you whether or not the CURP you have is correct, it’s the federal CURP registration. You will only need to enter your last name (not the segundo apellido) and your name, your sex, birth date, and the entidad federativa (state) The Captcha number is at the very top of the screen in big blue letters.

Judy got this to work by filling in her RFC only, the form wouldn’t accept her CURP. On the Estafeta application form, you are REQUIRED to put in a second last name—the apellido materno. Just put in NINGUNO. That means none, and that’s what Judy did, and it works.

If you continue to have trouble, send a PM to Oasis Cloud, who might be able to give you better (and closer) advice.

Thanks Christine and alsoTheta who sent me a pm- I finally got it to work and just bought my first item on ebay. I really liked the link it gave to change my address.

It brought up about 10 really old addresses that I have used to ship stuff to and I got to delete all of them. I have been on ebay since 1995 before they even went public! I will report back when I get it. LOL!

maw

Thanks Christine and alsoTheta who sent me a pm- I finally got it to work and just bought my first item on ebay. I really liked the link it gave to change my address.

It brought up about 10 really old addresses that I have used to ship stuff to and I got to delete all of them. I have been on ebay since 1995 before they even went public! I will report back when I get it. LOL!

maw

Woohooo! We are all in big trouble now.

Post a link to something that doesn't give shipping costs. I'd like to see it. (And I'm not being snotty, I really would like to see how it works.)

Yes, must agree, have bought hundreds of things on Ebay over a decade or so and there has always been a shipping cost posted before buying.

I tried and finally was able to get back to read about the CURP working because my RFC wasn't "taking" arghhh...and the husband won't tell me his CURP so I will have to get my own.

Yes, must agree, have bought hundreds of things on Ebay over a decade or so and there has always been a shipping cost posted before buying.

You missed my pictorial reply. Please read the entire thread before posting an opinion.

You missed my pictorial reply. Please read the entire thread before posting an opinion.

It's not an opinion.

It's not an opinion.

bdmowers, when ComputerGuy posted that he had seen listings with no shipping cost provided, I also scoffed and said that as a long-time eBay user I had never seen the like.

ComputerGuy then posted screen shots of one of his attempted purchases. Still a disbeliever, and sneaky person that I am, I made a note from ComputerGuy's screen shots of the eBay seller's name on this particular purchase AND the postal code where ComputerGuy wanted his purchase sent. I went to look at the item that ComputerGuy tried to buy. I clicked on the 'shipping' tab, changed the country to Canada, and typed in the postal code. NO shipping amount showed up. Instead, I was instructed to contact the seller. As ComputerGuy mentioned upthread, that would have been enough to stop the sale. It makes no sense, but in fact ComputerGuy IS correct, there was no shipping cost provided.

So perhaps rather than your post being an opinion, it simply reflects your personal experience--but doesn't generalize to everyone's experience.

Thank you, More Liana, for your patience, understanding, and in particular, overall general good humor.

So bottom line is, based on your sleuthing, having a shipping address outside Canada seems to be the stumbling block. Some vendors are perhaps not set up to automatically calculate that, while others are.

And bdmowers, sure it's an opinion: you were agreeing with other posters who hadn't experienced this issue, thereby assuming I must be full of malarkey.

Thank you, More Liana, for your patience, understanding, and in particular, overall general good humor.

So bottom line is, based on your sleuthing, having a shipping address outside Canada seems to be the stumbling block. Some vendors are perhaps not set up to automatically calculate that, while others are.

And bdmowers, sure it's an opinion: you were agreeing with other posters who hadn't experienced this issue, thereby assuming I must be full of malarkey.

No, bud, just telling my experience. Didn't say nuttin' 'bout no malarkey, no how. And sho warn't doing no darn gen'a'lizin'!

Having done both buying items shipped from the US( and other countries) to Mexico and buying items

from Mercado Libre (eBay Mexico), I would opt for the latter. Far, far less bother. No duty, no IVA,

because everything I bought came from inside Mexico to me in Riberas via Estafeta.

Items I bought on eBay USA sometimes took 10 months to arrive. One ultra-rare cd was "folded" by the Mexican Postal

service so it would fit in the small mail lock boxes at the PO.

Estafeta was very reliable as was Mercado Libre. It works exactly the same as ebay except the selection of items is not nearly as vast as ebay USA, but it's a great way to buy things that are hard to find locally.

Not sure now, but then the site was only in Spanish so your Google translator surely came in handy.

I had pretty good experiences with it all in all.

• 5 months later...

Just want to report that I have been buying from Ebay with the new Estafeta Plan 365 since August, and have made nearly 30 or 40 purchases and have only paid a delivery charge or import taxes on maybe 3 or 4 purchases. And this was due to overweight parcel (over 5 kg) or import tax required purchase. But the extra costs were not expensive at all and was STILL very much worth the price.

I have not had any problems so far, and everything has been delivered directly to my door in a very reasonable length of time.

This is by far the BEST way to get hard to find items, or even not hard to find at a LOWER cost, delivered to Mexico!! I am VERY pleased and highly recommend this service to anyone considering it.

Good luck.

Just want to report that I have been buying from Ebay with the new Estafeta Plan 365 since August, and have made nearly 30 or 40 purchases and have only paid a delivery charge or import taxes on maybe 3 or 4 purchases. And this was due to overweight parcel (over 5 kg) or import tax required purchase. But the extra costs were not expensive at all and was STILL very much worth the price.

I have not had any problems so far, and everything has been delivered directly to my door in a very reasonable length of time.

This is by far the BEST way to get hard to find items, or even not hard to find at a LOWER cost, delivered to Mexico!! I am VERY pleased and highly recommend this service to anyone considering it.

Good luck.

My wife and I agree 100% with your assessment. This Estafeta/eBay joint effort is fabulous and works like a charm. Since we signed up, I have tried to buy only eBay items that offer free shipping; when I stick to that 'rule', there is no shipping cost to get the purchased item to Estafeta's Laredo, TX address and we have long since used up the money it cost to sign up for the program, so shipping from Laredo to our home is basically also free.

At the moment, Estafeta's Plan 365 is shown as 'coming soon', but Plan 24/7 is still open for registration. Here's the link to sign up: http://www.estafetamembers.com/

One caveat: be sure to read the list of items on the Estafeta website that cannot be shipped into Mexico. If you are thinking of ordering something that could be questionable, send Estafeta a link to the item BEFORE you bid; Estafeta will let you know immediately if the item can be shipped to your home south of the border.

Archived