Chapala.com Webboard

Want To Sell My Foreign Plated Vehicle

I have a 2003 foreign plated vehicle that I want to sell WITHOUT going to the border. My local MX friend will scrape off the decal and get Jalisco plates. We have been here 4 years and our immigration status is up to date. Can the vehicle ever be traced back to me. I should know better, but I just hate that Laredo trip. Ok all, have at it.

Can be traced back to you and if your buddy caught he will be jailed and fined 3 times the vehicle amount as contraband.

The VIN number can be put in the computer and then told if there was an import permit issued or a pedimento.

I have a 2003 foreign plated vehicle that I want to sell WITHOUT going to the border. My local MX friend will scrape off the decal and get Jalisco plates. We have been here 4 years and our immigration status is up to date. Can the vehicle ever be traced back to me. I should know better, but I just hate that Laredo trip. Ok all, have at it.

Let Playaboy take it to the border and sell it. Many have used his services and been happy. If you illegally sell it here and the buyer has an accident, you can be held responsible. Why subject yourself to all the problems it can cause?

One thing is being able to trick the computer, another thing is thinking that they cannot find you when they have your info and original passport info.

Don't think the Mexican Law enforcement, Customs, and immigration don't use computers. A year ago coming into Mexico the immigration person showed me all my TIPS on a screen for the last five years or so. Now are they interested in you?? Do it right and get rid of your car properly. Yes we know it is a pain but folks here can help.

My understanding is that the TIP is connected to the owner's passport number, not the visa number (i.e. temporarl/permanente.) If the owner's passport has changed since entering the car.can it still be tracked back to that owner?

This assumption has not been true for at least 3 years (since the June 2010 TIP rule changes). I have looked-over-the-shoulder of Banjercito techs and supervisors 3 different times in the past 3 years when processing foreign-plated cars, and each time their Aduana database program screen clearly showed:

~ VIN,

~ TIP ID number

~ INM Permit number,

~ foreign owner name, and

~ owner's passport number.

On 2 of the cars, my friends had lost their original TIP paperwork, and 1 of the vehicles was in the friend's wife's name. In all cases the Banjercito employees explained that it was very easy to search the Aduana/Banjercito database to find the vehicle record using any one piece of those 5 different pieces of information. I watched them search the records and pull up all the information in under 2 minutes - so, yes, Aduana can quickly detect the fraud proposed above.

Adding my voice to the chorus: It is better to either use Playaboy's good services, or take the vehicle to the border yourself to cancel the TIP.

One option to consider is to sell it to another foreigner here. If the TIP has not yet expired, the Buyer can take it north and cross the border and get the TIP cancelled for you and then do the title transfer when back in his/her home state or province (whichever applies to the buyer's situation). If the TIP has expired, obtain a safe passage letter from someone like Intercasa and give the Buyer an authorization letter to drive your car out of the country. The Buyer will then have 5 days to cross the border and prevent the possibility of confiscation.

Of course, this procedure involves a level of trust between the Seller and Buyer that the Buyer will do what is necessary to transfer the title out of your name.

If you could tell us the make and model as well as a brief description of the vehicle (mileage, condition) you just might find somebody here who is interested in helping you out.

The original post states that the seller already has a potential buyer.

But.....The OP and friend may find that getting those Jalisco plates will be a problem. The car is not legal to sell in Mexico and both buyer and seller place themselves in jeopardy.

They seem to have this figured out some time ago in Puerto Vallarta, Nayarit and Guadalajara - I don't know why not here (even though I have some theories).

http://vallartascene.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23047

My Mexican middle class neighbor has Mexico City plates on one of his cars. The local Mexicans who rely on foreign plated vehicles for transportation and work say stay away from the airport or Guadalajara city. Most of these foreign plated cars are not worth a lot of money, but are reliable. There is a release form, recommended and published by SAT (?), which the buyer agrees to be responsible for any future accident liability - contact a lawyer or facilitator about this.

Ok, I am going to do this the legal way. Another legal question, Can a Mexican citizen obtain a permission slip to drive my car to the border in Laredo? As previously stated I really want no part of that long and boring drive, however I am committed to saying OUT of Mexican jails.

Ok, I am going to do this the legal way. Another legal question, Can a Mexican citizen obtain a permission slip to drive my car to the border in Laredo? As previously stated I really want no part of that long and boring drive, however I am committed to saying OUT of Mexican jails.

There is no "permission slip", but you could get a free Retorno Seguro permit from SAT/Hacienda that gives you 5 business days for someone to drive the car to the border. Pair the Retorno Seguro permit with a good Carta de Poder, authorizing the Mexican driver to take your car to the border - (along with any TIP cancellation and car sales or importation permissions). and you stay legal. Spencer offers these services, and does them well for very reasonable fees.

Yes we many times have a foreigner apply for a retorno seguro and then name a Mexican national (or even a foreigner who is permanente and not related) to drive the vehicle, no problem.

Also many people do not fulfill their promises to get license plates fast and drive in the meantime and as the vehicle is not legal there is no insurance which means when faced with potential jail, people will ditch the vehicle at the accident scene.

Read the thread again - legalization means to make legal. A customs broker at the airport can do this as well ($2,500 U.S.), or nationalize -this was reported to this forum over one year ago. And before anyone thinks it is somehow depriving the government from their taxes due, notice where Rick Hepting says that his mid-nineties Japanese truck was too old, and PAID NO DUTY at all. So you can imagine where the $1,100 U.S. (legalize, including plates) or $3,000 U.S.(nationalize) is going. The SAT appears to interested in investigating TIPS on vehicles newer than 2005 - this from a Puerto Vallarta businessman who is extremely well connected.

Insurance is no problem -you are now driving a Mexican titled vehicle, with Mexican plates and the VIN number checks out on the national database.

Why not contact Playaboy and let him sell it in Texas for you? I haven;t used him but if you search his name everyone so far has been happy with his service.

Why not contact Playaboy and let him sell it in Texas for you? I haven;t used him but if you search his name everyone so far has been happy with his service.

How about the fact that unless Playaboy is insane, which I doubt, he is not willing to pay more for the vehicle than the Texas wholesale value (probably among the lowest in the U.S.A.), plus the cost of his time, fuel, hotels, toll roads, food. Plus compensate his risk of adventuring on some of the busiest highways in North America. Statistics don't reward the lucky.

How about the fact that unless Playaboy is insane, which I doubt, he is not willing to pay more for the vehicle than the Texas wholesale value (probably among the lowest in the U.S.A.), plus the cost of his time, fuel, hotels, toll roads, food. Plus compensate his risk of adventuring on some of the busiest highways in North America. Statistics don't reward the lucky.

And you wrote this because the OP wants more than what Playaboy is offering? What is your point?

Did the OP ask for more than the vehicle is worth or did I miss that? The OP was willing to violate the law to get rid of the vehicle so I don't think money was the issue.

I have done retorno seguros and powers of attorney for people he has helped and so far everybody has been happy with his services. He probably is insane and loves driving, to do what he does, I wouldnt do it (Driving to Morelia makes me impatient) and hopefully he continues the service to give people an option to get rid of their cars legally and release themselves from future liability. Too bad more people do not offer the service.

This assumption has not been true for at least 3 years (since the June 2010 TIP rule changes). I have looked-over-the-shoulder of Banjercito techs and supervisors 3 different times in the past 3 years when processing foreign-plated cars, and each time their Aduana database program screen clearly showed:

~ VIN,

~ TIP ID number

~ INM Permit number,

~ foreign owner name, and

~ owner's passport number.

On 2 of the cars, my friends had lost their original TIP paperwork, and 1 of the vehicles was in the friend's wife's name. In all cases the Banjercito employees explained that it was very easy to search the Aduana/Banjercito database to find the vehicle record using any one piece of those 5 different pieces of information. I watched them search the records and pull up all the information in under 2 minutes - so, yes, Aduana can quickly detect the fraud proposed above.

Adding my voice to the chorus: It is better to either use Playaboy's good services, or take the vehicle to the border yourself to cancel the TIP.

Read the thread again - legalization means to make legal. A customs broker at the airport can do this as well ($2,500 U.S.), or nationalize -this was reported to this forum over one year ago. And before anyone thinks it is somehow depriving the government from their taxes due, notice where Rick Hepting says that his mid-nineties Japanese truck was too old, and PAID NO DUTY at all. So you can imagine where the $1,100 U.S. (legalize, including plates) or $3,000 U.S.(nationalize) is going. The SAT appears to interested in investigating TIPS on vehicles newer than 2005 - this from a Puerto Vallarta businessman who is extremely well connected.

Insurance is no problem -you are now driving a Mexican titled vehicle, with Mexican plates and the VIN number checks out on the national database.

Still confused .... I have a '98 Ford Windstar 108 K miles auto air...... loaded... everything works .....but Florida plated

I would love to keep the car ...fully loaded gets 23 mpg@ 90 mph ...problem is that it's not worth the money to make it legal either by driving it to the border (5 days , 3 motels , tolls, gas ) or having someone do it for me ...........

Is the thing Rick Hepling did still viable ? ....if so details please

Can I donate it to a charity and get it out of my name ?

I would hate to junk it ....it's such a great car

Thought the airport customs thing was no longer

Archived