Chapala.com Webboard

GOOD NEWS ABOUT THE NOISE!!

ezpz

I was delighted to read this in the new Guadalajara Reporter today:

http://www.theguadalajarareporter.com/index.php/news/news/lake-chapala/44384-new-enforcer-takes-charge-of-chapala-s-regulations-office#jacommentid:183

Chapala is finally taking real action against the "contaminacion acustica" produced by local bars in Ajijic, I don't think I have to state who the Worst Offenders are - especially the one that has made the neighbors suffer for 4 years with the worst music at the loudest possible volume they can play at, since they know no better, like beginners.

We have noticed the change, and the peace is blissful on weekends...and Mondays...and Thursdays...

I want to thank Harry B and everyone else who helped this happen. The People have spoken, and Chapala has listened!

Guest bennie2

i wish you were right. i remember when you could walk through the main part of town on the sunday, hear nothing see nothing. you can always blast your own speakers. but be forewarned, you will get a fine.

Hey, I have great music in my own house. I don't need the crap from the bars. And, besides, who has ever complained about there not being enough "noise" in Mexico? I enjoy hearing the crickets, the little frogs that come out after it rains, the songbirds, the horses going by, the happy kids playing, the regular cheerful Mexican music floating in the air, the worker guys singing...what's not to like?

Guest bennie2

ezpz, my rooster was replaced by walmart long time ago. the horses were replaced by motocycles. the birds are over rided by machines even on sundays. i do think i hear chickens but they sound more like ducks. best to get it while you can. now if we can just go after those huge amps on the trucks......next!

I wonder if the OP has any idea why restaurants turn to live music? Not because they are wild about American music I'm sure. Usually it's because they are trying as hard as they can to survive and stay open. When a restaurant goes under it's not just the owner who suffers. If they try live music and it doesn't generate a better bottom line, they drop it. Yes, just like up North. Every place that has tried live music was (as far as I can tell ) owned by a local person. They must be puzzled as to why they are being attacked by someone who came here from somewhere else and wants to make this place like home. It makes me wonder why they left that place if it was so good. The OP thinks this is a victory for her and all of Ajijic. Really. I remember when the OP was going on regular rants about El Barco. When that thing was happening, the club's business went from maybe 40 people a night to over 300. One reason was that some pretty good musicians were sitting in, but also a lot of people were looking for someplace to go that was interesting. Boy, we need to put a stop to that. I've been here for 9 years and I never cease to be amazed at how many people move here and 1. don't learn even the most basic Spanish and 2. constantly complain about how it's not like home. Here's a flash. Lots of us moved here BECAUSE it's not like home.

I thought it was the volume of the music and not that there was music that was the problem. No one is being shut down for having music but those that violate the MEXICAN law restricting volume. I don´t think there are enough foreigners here with the kind of power it takes to change something the Mexicans are in favor of.

Guest bennie2

jaykay there are 1000s of places right @ home where you can live near 24/7 loud noise. didnt you know that? none of your business who learns spanish, this is also a retirement community, has been for many years. its not a student exchange program. about time mexico enforced the laws! the mexicans are happy about this. no i dont care how many people el bar has for business, neither does city hall in chapala.

OK Bennie. How about listing the top 10? You have a habit of making statements that can't be taken seriously. Also my business is whatever I chose to make it. Welcome to Mexico. Even if you were right, what has that to do with my post? As to the volume being the issue, go back and look at some the OP's Rants. As soon as a place of business announces live entertainment, she posts about how if they have ANY music she will boycott the place. Talk about yelling before you're hurt. The last time she did it was about Viva Mexico. They were having a fund raiser to fund meals for very poor people and paying for poor people to have their dogs and cats fixed. She didn't even know what kind of music was going to be played. Fortunately the evening was a financial success and the folks across the street said they could barely hear the music. It turned out that most of the duo's music was played on acoustic guitars. The event wasn't even in the main room, but out in the patio. In all of Ajijic, there are exactly three places that have live music on any kind of regular basis. Doesn't sound like much of a problem. Now, if you are unfortunate enough to live that close to one of the venues, I can understand your frustration. That does not bring it to the level of a major problem for Ajijic. Actually I have heard more complaints about the priest at the church with the loudspeakers than any club. Oh yeah Bennie. What is up with the "no capital letters"?

Guest bennie2

the authorities visited the venues who were violating the law. they will look@ the others too. they will also go after the loud speakers on the trucks & cars, hotels. chapala city hall is on our side not yours. noise is a major problem from many sources (& we are not talking about acoustic guitars). so far i have only seen good posts from ezpz. if something is over the top im the first person to call them out on it. she has every right to boycott which means she wont be a customer. so? i boycott 99% of the businesses here for any reason i decide. mind your business about my typing as well. there- that settles it.

Bennie 2 , I read your blogs, and I shake my head at your grammar

you say you are in touch with all these journalists etc. but you don't

know how to spell the most basics of words, i, would love you to go on an

English course and really learn to spell correctly before you do the I

know more than everyone else, so there.

give us all a break and maybe read what other people are trying to say

before you jump in, please give your typing finger a rest

firstly, your business is whatever the mexican authorities allows it to be - not whatever you want. Unless you operate illegally which could lead to your deportation.

Secondly, a friend who recently celebrated his 60 th anniversary as a PROFESSIONAL musician told me that most of these guys playing the brain pounding music are playing tracks and faking it! So please don't call it live music. Obviously, you don't know enough about our community- learn a little before you attack others

I don't feel strongly about bad English, punctuation or spelling if the person doing so isn't otherwise full of hot air. In Bennie's case, I suspect he/she is perfectly capable of writing posts with correct English usage, but has deliberately chosen his/her manner of expression for reasons unknown.

As for the sound issue, it has already been said that we expats should not overestimate our importance in the scheme of things in Mexico. We didn't cause the noise laws to be passed because of our complaints. That is the point, and acting as though we had anything to do with it is just puffing.

It is interesting me, following the development and enforcement of noise laws in Mexico, that the motivations are much different here than in Canada and the U.S.A. In Canada and the U.S.A. the motivations and enforcement are often cultural and, quite frankly, often racially based. The noise laws in Mexico, perhaps because they come much later in the game, are based upon the environment and public health. Noise is seen as a type of pollution with serious health effects to all living creatures. It was fomented among the intellectual elites of Mexico City and Guadalajara, and then spread from there.

Guest bennie2

haggislover, i want to remind you (& others) that you can scroll over my comments. there is no rule that you must read them. i scroll over many myself. (especially the very long winded ones w/useless excessive info). there is an "ignore" feature which i havnt used, you may want to try that. best to stay on topic. chillin, the noise laws in USA are also about health issues. they have a instrument where they measure the noise. my neighbor had an airconditioner, after many visits & letters- the system was taken down.

Before everyone jumps on Bennie2 (come to think of it, what happened to bennie1?) I have to say that I find some of her posts very entertaining. Tell the truth. Haven't you ever read one and spent time trying to figure out what in the world she is talking about. I too have thought that she just didn't understand the post she is complaining about. Now I think she may be a troll trying to get a rise out of us and succeeding. We read those confusing posts and think "what in the world is her point. What if the point is to make us crazy? Another explanation is that English is not her first language. Possibly not her second either. In that case, she's doing very well. So, take her in stride and enjoy trying to figure what in the world she is talking about.

Guest bennie2

jaykay, thread is about noise & the new mexican laws. (we are not supposed to get into personal issues except in PMs). i couldnt be happier w/the results. the several hundred residents who live near these venues are also happy.

Archived