Chapala.com Webboard

ATMS,not working?

When at Super Lake this afternoon, I talked to several friends who had tried ATMs in three or so different places and that none were working. Did they all just have bad luck or are all of them down as one person suggested?

Thanks in advance for your advice, or experience getting cash from the ATMs this afternoon.

Pete

ATMs lakeside…

I switched from Santander ATMs to Banorte ATMs when Bank of America started charging the 3% fee. Now I can get fee free withdraws again from my new CapitalOne 360 checking account (yes, the machine will say it is charging a fee, but it never hits your account). However, I have a much more challenging time with the Banorte machines.

My transactions take a little longer because I have to do two withdraws if I want to take my daily maximum out.

About 50% of the time when I approach a machine, it is out of service. However, I have found a number of times at Super Lake that the machine says ‘out of service’…but it I do a little shopping and check back, it is often back up and running (maybe some kind of a reboot of the computer taking place).

About 10% of the time when I approach a machine, it is being serviced by the armored truck guy (which seems to take forever).

Last week, I went to the Chapala Oxxo and it was out of service. Next I went to the Ajijic Oxxo and it was out of service. Finally, I had success at the El Torito machine. If that had been a fail, I would have tried the last option…Super Lake.

I think the moral of the story is that everyone should have a back-up plan of some sort so you aren’t left in a lurch. I can always go to Intercam and cash a U.S. check in a pinch (just it a hassle with my work hours, and the rate isn’t as good as the ATM). It is also a good idea to hide some emergency cash in a few clever spots around the house in case you had to get buy for a few days.

ATMs lakeside…

I switched from Santander ATMs to Banorte ATMs when Bank of America started charging the 3% fee. Now I can get fee free withdraws again from my new CapitalOne 360 checking account (yes, the machine will say it is charging a fee, but it never hits your account). However, I have a much more challenging time with the Banorte machines.

My transactions take a little longer because I have to do two withdraws if I want to take my daily maximum out.

About 50% of the time when I approach a machine, it is out of service. However, I have found a number of times at Super Lake that the machine says ‘out of service’…but it I do a little shopping and check back, it is often back up and running (maybe some kind of a reboot of the computer taking place).

About 10% of the time when I approach a machine, it is being serviced by the armored truck guy (which seems to take forever).

Last week, I went to the Chapala Oxxo and it was out of service. Next I went to the Ajijic Oxxo and it was out of service. Finally, I had success at the El Torito machine. If that had been a fail, I would have tried the last option…Super Lake.

I think the moral of the story is that everyone should have a back-up plan of some sort so you aren’t left in a lurch. I can always go to Intercam and cash a U.S. check in a pinch (just it a hassle with my work hours, and the rate isn’t as good as the ATM). It is also a good idea to hide some emergency cash in a few clever spots around the house in case you had to get buy for a few days.

Unless something has changed in the past few weeks, Intercam will no longer be accepting USD checks after July 31, nor will most if not all other banks.

JRP JR - Ugh, you are correct!

I called and talked to Intercam just now. The young woman said that I can cash U.S. checks through the last day of August. The service will no longer be available as of the 1st of September. It stinks to lose this option.

JRP JR - Ugh, you are correct!

I called and talked to Intercam just now. The young woman said that I can cash U.S. checks through the last day of August. The service will no longer be available as of the 1st of September. It stinks to lose this option.

But not to despair...you are one of the lucky ones to still have other backup options available. Since you have a CapOne360 card already, that means you still have a valid US address to use. With that you can also apply for a CitiCard to use at Banamex at Walmart or the bank in Chapala or you can get a Charles Schwab debit card by opening an investment account even if you keep a zero balance in it and they reimburse any and all machine and international transaction fees. The Schwab card is a better choice as it can be used in all banks' machines. As far as I know currently, those three cards are the only way to get cash at a good rate down here, now that checks are a thing of the past, without having a substantial investment sum linked to a card like BofA and Merrill Lynch.

If anyone knows of a fourth option, please post it so we can keep a succinct reply available for in one place to quote for the inevitable newbies who will ask this question over and over in the future.

For those who have totally cut ties NOB and have no one to use for an address (and some banks NOB now even require the famous utility bill that we're so used to showing down here or a mortgage statement to avoid this kind of "fraud")...their only option would seem to be to have their retirement or SS checks deposited directly into their Mexican bank which is still available and not considered the same as cashing a paper check. Many have posted about their experience in changing all this in a rush when their accounts were closed at Banamex US on short notice because of this new banking rule.

Archived