Chapala.com Webboard

Skype email scam

The other day a customer got an email, allegedly from Skype, saying her current version was "out of date" and she would be cut off from use unless she upgraded. I have never heard of Skype doing this kind of thing, so I figured it was a phishing message. Giveways: they have over 300 million subscribers; even the biggest computer system in the world would not be able to track that many people. Second, why would they bother? Third, it reads just like the email and bank account scams. Fourth, Skype automatically notifies you of updates when you use it. I did not notice if the name of the customer was used, or if it was addressed to "Dear customer".

The interesting part: the email looks totally, completely legit. Even the return email address looks right. No grammar or spelling mistakes; all kinds of company links; all the right colours.

We just spammed the message, so I don't know what might have happened, or what they were looking for. Email and contact lists, presumably... once you logged in to "your" account, bam. They've got your information.

Just a heads up. These morons are getting better at their job.

My mother received that email this week. It did use her account name, but it said her desktop version was being retired. She has a new laptop with windows 8. It also gave instructions how to go to their website directly to update manually. I don't see how that could be spam if you're instructed to go to Skype.com.

Maybe she had a legitimate update email?

I don't see how that could be spam if you're instructed to go to Skype.com.

Because a link does not have to take you where it says it is taking you. Click on this for an example: Hot Dog Recipe

Most phishing scams reproduce target Web pages perfectly, and then you end up downloading something (even the actual program) with spyware attached.

Other tell-tale signs: in this case, a simple manual check of Skype showed that it was already up-to-date. There is no "retiring desktop version". Further, it doesn't matter which version of Windows you have; Skype installs the correct version for your OS, if necessary.

Neither Microsoft nor Skype have commented yet.

And I reiterate: Skype does NOT send out this kind of message. Ever. So why fight it? I see no benefit from me trying to scare y'all...

I got that email but updated directly from Skype rather than from the email.

That is an excellent workaround. However, note that Skype is set up during installation to automatically check for updates. So one never really has to do anything.

I think that this was probably a legit email, but no matter how legit the advice to go directly to the website and not use the email link is good. I never use an email link if I will need to log in to where it is taking me.

I received this email a couple of days ago for Skype for my "mobile device". It did include my Skype user id. It is probably for the iPad that my wife uses. I haven't checked it yet, but with iOS devices the only way to "update" is through iTunes on your computer so they can't self update.

As far as Skype tracking 300 million subscribers, I don't see why that would be a problem for them. You have to log into Skype with your program to use it, they have to keep track of your billing, etc., so knowing what version of the program you are using when logging in wouldn't be difficult. They probably don't do this often, but if they are retiring an old version of the program so that they don't have to support it any longer they don't want to make people mad when they can't log in anymore.

Go to the website directly and don't use the email link to make sure it isn't a scam.

• 2 weeks later...

Another customer has been scammed. When she tried to "upgrade", her account was cancelled. They are asking for credit card information, etc. Now this morning, I got the email. In Spanish, even though my account is in English with a Canadian address and has been for years, including payments. With version 6.16.0.105, I long ago updated to the current version. Automatically.

And I didn't say they would have a problem tracking 300 million subscribers: rather, there's not way they would send out 300 million update emails, particularly when the program auto-updates every time you use it.

So I sandboxed my browser and followed through with the email link. It does seem legit. I don't know what all this means, but it is wise to be wary. As OasisCloud says, never use an email link unless you are absolutely positive. If someone tells me I need an upgrade, I manually go to the website by typing in the address I am familiar with.

I got that email but updated directly from Skype rather than from the email.

My big beef with Skype is that they send me emails in Spanish, after using English for eons. So I was getting the email about the version I had was not a good one in Spanish and every time I emailed them I never got a reply. Last week I tried to get into Skype and they told me my account had been closed and I was to get the newer version. I set up my account again and the money on account was also tsfrd. Then on Sat I got this msg.....

Tu versión de Skype para Windows se va a retirar. Actualiza tu versión hoy mismo‏

So how are you supposed to know which is which? How do I know the account I recently set up again is the 'good' one?

I don't know... I'll be working on a customer's Skype account this afternoon and will let you know what I find. Meantime, I ignored my message and everything is normal. So some people are having problems when they do what you did; others perhaps not.

Guest bennie2

there are fake apple scams. they want me to update my info for my itunes acct, but i dont have itunes. less is more, skype seems like a pain in the neck.

Guest bennie2

vonage is the way to go, easy. i downgraded my plan now its only 20usd per mth. i get to talk w/a real person. if i dont like speaking to someone in bombay i call back & get jersey.

My big beef with Skype is that they send me emails in Spanish, after using English for eons. So I was getting the email about the version I had was not a good one in Spanish and every time I emailed them I never got a reply. Last week I tried to get into Skype and they told me my account had been closed and I was to get the newer version. I set up my account again and the money on account was also tsfrd. Then on Sat I got this msg.....

Tu versión de Skype para Windows se va a retirar. Actualiza tu versión hoy mismo‏

So how are you supposed to know which is which? How do I know the account I recently set up again is the 'good' one?

Want weird? I use a gaming service called Steam. All my recent notifications from them have been in German. No idea why.

This is a tool/app/add-on that lets you go on a website which you are suspicious of already. It protects your computer from the potential infection of malware from these types of sites. You install it in your browser (or use another browser called TOR), and it hides your tracks and prevents crap from landing. For FireFox, I use an add-on called Sandboxie.

Last week I tried to use my Skype and was told because I had not upgraded my account was closed (or words to that affect).

They have a link to upgrade which I did. Then using my password, etc. the account was fully restored and I was able to make my call to the USA.

Ditto.

When you start Skype, any day now you will get the same message: Login refused because program out of date. So, absolutely no reason to email anyone. However, this is Microsoft's doing, as Travis points out, and they are slowly eroding the "intelligence" built into Skype over the years, into something far less desirable. Let the damn person log in and then suggest the upgrade, for pity's sake. Like "the good old days".

Want weird? I use a gaming service called Steam. All my recent notifications from them have been in German. No idea why.

This is a problem with all international company's notifying their clients. They group the notifications by the country they are sending them to, not the client's preferred language. This includes airlines, hotels, cosmetic companies, medical and prescription companies and even MSN! As far as the German goes, maybe the company was sold to them. Who knows.

Yes, as per my last post.

So, let's just beat this a little more. Let's say you know there's a piece of software that millions of people use. Let's also say you know the company doesn't send out emails when there is an update, because their program is automated to do this anyway. Now let's say you take advantage of this to send out an email to everyone on your illegally-purchased spam account list... even to users who don't have Skype. What an effective way to get into someone's PC.

Archived