Chapala.com Webboard

Coconut Milk for cooking

ComputerGuy

Between the high cost of Thai-type noodles, peanut butter, pine nuts, and other ingredients, I have to hand it any restaurant that specializes in Thai food, for keeping the prices reasonable. I won't eat at Taste of Thai anymore, even though their prices are good and the food is delicious, because of the obnoxious owner and his ridiculous rules. So I'm trying to add Thai to my Asian cooking techniques.

Here in the land of coconuts, it's so easy to get coco water. But the milk, which is a different animal, is used a lot in Thai cooking, and I'm wondering (haven't hit SuperLake yet today) if my search is going to result in just expensive cans of the liquid, which would limit my range of cooking items.

I have purchased it at Wal-Mart in both Morelia and the DF. It's usually for sale in the liquor aisle or nearby. There is coconut cream and coconut milk; be sure to get the one you need. It's not expensive.

SL no doubt has it as well, but probably for more $$$.

The liquor aisle... so, for mixing drinks. I believe I recall the bottles of white liquid. But for sure I'd have to be careful it's not coco cream...

I've never seen it in a bottle, only in cans.

I think a lot of people make their own coconut milk. I believe coconut cream is just the meat and the water put in a blender, then filtered - no extra water.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Coconut-Milk

The hard part is shredding the coconuts without getting bits of the brown skin in. There are all sorts of very dangerous looking devices out there that are supposed to streamline the process - or lose a finger!

OKay, so far no place has any coco milk. WalMart has nothing, not in the juice, the Asian section, or the liqours. Paz has nothing. SuperLake has coco water in the drinks aisle, but no coco milk anywhere. Nothing at Super Laura.

So I am probably going to give up: of the main ingredients for Thai, the rice noodles, the tamarind, the lemongrass, are either impossible to find, and like peanut butter, another key ingredient, if found are too damned expensive. Yes, I know "lemongrass grows everywhere", but trying to find it is the same as trying to find wild epazote for sopa Azteca (which also "grows everywhere"), if only people could tell me where...

LIke I said, I appreciate all the answers. But there was no leche de coco today in those stores. I regularly scan the Asian shelf. Their product line has reduced substantially in the last couple of years at WalMart.

I cook Thai food and always have coconut milk, it is not hard to find Wlamrt used to have it, I have not been in Ajijic lately so I do not know if they still carry it Superlake, the gourmet store. If you cannot find it you are probably not looking for the right packaging. It somes in cans. I have never bought the stuff that comes with mizes because I am always afraid that sugar is added for drinks, I may be wroong but I stay away from the

mixes.

I even find it in Chiapas where it is hard to get anything a little unuausl..

Making coconut milk is a pain, this is why people buy the cns even in Thailand.

I think a lot of people make their own coconut milk. I believe coconut cream is just the meat and the water put in a blender, then filtered - no extra water.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Coconut-Milk

The hard part is shredding the coconuts without getting bits of the brown skin in. There are all sorts of very dangerous looking devices out there that are supposed to streamline the process - or lose a finger!

go to the man who sells coconut water and meat from fresh coconuts. tell him you want the carne suave from the cocos. it's about 25p for 750ml of fresh soft coconut meat without any hard shell attached. just puree it in your blender....

Picked up a few cans at El Torito, top shelf at the end of the milk aisle. Bought leche and crema, to discover the difference. I looked in WalMart yesterday in the juice aisle and found no leche de coco. And all I can find in the WalMart liquor aisle is Pina Colada; same at Paz.

But this is a great start. Thank you all.

Archived