Chapala.com Webboard

Ajijic Tango

Tomas

We have lived in Ajijic and Chapala for 27+ years on a part time basis The Tango is the BEST and most consistent in this area..Many have come and gone but they serve a quality dinner with excellent service, reasonable liquor and wine prices in a comfortable atmosphere ,in town. Take a cab if you find parking and walking an issue. Try not to go on the weekends as the Guad crowd is there en- mass..There are other good places to eat but since they took over from the previous Hibachi (AKA Benihana) look alike they are at the top of the food chain here. We eat out 3-4 times a week at any number of places from the street carts to the over rated and when I want a great meal Tango is IT. A similar meal NOB at a nice place is easily 3X the price and never any better..Enjoy the venue as it is a real gem for all to enjoy..

P.S. I have no financial or other interest in Tango or the owners..

I think Tango continues to be our FAVORITE! We compare all others to this great restaurant.

Enjoy,

Valerie :)

I 98% agree with everyone...with a minor exception...the service. Usually, it´s above and beyond, but I had an incident where the female waiter argued with me about what I ordered! She absolutely insisted that I ordered rib eye when I had ordered filet mignon (I have NEVER ordered rib eye in my life). I understand that there can be confusion, but you don´t argue with the customer and get ugly. Then, when she brought the proper cut, it was one step away from raw. Another time we were with friends (and the wife is Mexican!!!) who clearly ordered a specific item in Spanish (I heard her and, yes, I do speak Spanish) and when the order came, it was different. Once again, the waiter, a male this time, started to argue about it. Fortunately, the head waiter immediately stopped it, apologized, and corrected the order...handled it exactly as it should have been handled.

So, yes, I do enjoy the food, would recommend it to others, and will definitely go back, but I think a little more polishing is needed with the staff.

• 4 months later...

Easy to drop everyone but the driver at the front door.

Maybe they should consider Valet Parking? I see a need and surely there are people who need the work.

If your car is not Mexican plated, you cannot allow a Mexican valet to drive it without you in the passenger seat. Even a friend, who is Residente Permanente cannot drive your car without you.

If your car is Mexican plated; no problem.

I found this on the internet:

1. Address: Morelos 5, Centro, 45920 Ajijic, Jalisco, Mexico
    Hours:
    Sunday 12:30 – 7:00 pm
    Monday 12:30 – 9:00 pm
    Tuesday Closed
    Wednesday 12:30 – 9:00 pm
    Thursday 12:30 – 9:00 pm
    Friday 12:30 – 10:00 pm
    Saturday 12:30 – 10:00 pm

We have never had a problem with the waitstaff but have had problems with our food the last 3 times we have been there. Two filets over the last 2 months ... I brought home to the dogs and the same thing the other night with the chicken breast ... pounded extremely thin, tasteless and dry. The salmon, however, was excellent as was the house salad except for the very green tomatoes. It will be a while before we go back.

I have always loved the ribeye, the portobello and other appetizers, and the chicken. But the last couple of times this past year, things have changed. The quality of the appetizers is dropping off, the chicken is coming out dry, and the prices are really getting up there. I think what's making it more difficult for me to go back is the extra tables that now fill the place. I can't say exactly when that happened... they used to believe that people needed some space. Now we often find ourselves jammed into an area, with waitstaff bustling back and forth constantly, and a lot of bumping happening. Add to that the very high level of noise, commonplace there but previously "ignorable" because of the food, and I just don't want to go back anymore.

We have always enjoyed their lunch specials, but lately the filet and aracherra has been tough (and little-bitty) on the sandwiches. Then we discovered the roast beef dip at Bruno's and now that has our vote for lunch when we're craving beef. I still choose Tango's when needing a really big beef fix for dinner, and we like to take guests there, but I agree about the crowding; we seem to get bumped into a lot unless you're in the corner. And is it my imagination or has the wait staff been told now to hurry with the bill and turn the table quickly? We kind of got used to the no-rush attitude at restaurants down here where you have to ask for the bill. I've always believed that they thought it rude to make a patron feel rushed.

Archived